Profile cover photo
Profile photo
Animal Emergency and Trauma Center
18 followers
18 followers
About
Animal Emergency and Trauma Center's posts

Fall Toxins Poisonous to Dogs & Cats

The start of fall brings new seasonal household items that pose a threat to the safety of our pets. These common household items can cause serious problems if ingested by animals. Here is the list of seasonal products that the veterinarians at Pet Poison Helpline recommend keeping away from pets.
MUSHROOMS:
While most mushrooms are generally non-toxic, certain types can be very dangerous. One of the most dangerous is the Amanita phalloides or death cap mushroom which is found throughout the United States. The proper identification of mushrooms is extremely difficult and often only done by experts. Therefore, it is wise to consider all ingestions of unidentified mushrooms as toxic until proven otherwise. Depending on what type of mushroom is ingested, symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, depression, tremors, and seizures, with liver and kidney damage occurring later. Pet owners should scour their yard frequently to get rid of any mushrooms.
MOTHBALLLS:
While you may think these white balls are benign, they are not. Mothballs typically contain either paradichlorobenzene or naphthalene. While the old fashioned mothballs (naphthalene) are often considered more toxic, both can be deadly. Symptoms include vomiting, severe abdominal pain, tremors, weakness, possible kidney or liver failure, and severe abnormality of your pet’s red blood cells.
ANTIFREEZE:
As people prepare their boats, cars or cabins for winter, pets may inadvertently be exposed to antifreeze. As little as one teaspoon in a cat or a tablespoon or two for dogs, depending on the size of animal, can be fatal. Signs of early poisoning include acting drunk or uncoordinated, excessive thirst, and lethargy. While signs may seem to improve after eight to twelve hours, internal damage is actually worsening, and crystals develop in the kidneys, which result in acute kidney failure. Immediate treatment with an antidote is vital.
MOUSE and RAT POISON (RODENTCIDES): 
As you prepare to winterize your garage, cabin, or house, make sure to place poisonous baits in areas where your pet cannot reach them (e.g., high up on shelves, hidden behind work spaces, etc.). “Rodenticides also pose the potential for relay toxicity,” said Dr. Ahna Brutlag, assistant director of veterinary services at Pet Poison Helpline. “In other words, if your dog eats a large number of dead mice poisoned by rodenticides, they can experience secondary effects.” Because there are several different types of chemicals in mouse and rat poisons, all with different active ingredients and types of action, it is imperative to keep your pets away from all of these potentially dangerous poisons.
COMPOST BINS and PILES:
Piles of decomposing and decaying organic matter and molding food products in your backyard compost pile have the potential to contain ‘tremorgenic mycotoxins’, meaning molds which cause tremors. Even small amounts ingested can result in tremors or seizures within 30 minutes to several hours.

RED MAPLE LEAVES:
Horse lovers, beware. As little as one pound of dried maple leaves blowing into your horse’s pasture can be toxic. When ingested, these leaves result in a severe hemolytic anemia – it causes red blood cells to rupture, causing weakness, pale gums, an elevated heart rate and shock.
The best thing any pet owner can do is to be educated on common household toxins, and to make sure you pet-proof your house appropriately. Make sure to keep all these products in labeled, tightly-sealed containers out of your pet’s reach. When in doubt, if you think your pet has been poisoned, contact your veterinarian 

Post has attachment
Pepper liked his Hedgehog toy so much that he ate it and needed emergency surgery to remove it from his stomach and intestinal tract. She lives with her family in Poulsbo, WA. Her family veterinarian is Big Valley Veterinary Hospital 98370.
Photo

Post has attachment
There Are 10 Easy Things You Can Do To Make Your Trip To The Animal ER More Successful!
1. Learn how to give pills and other medications. Practice with your pet using a treat, initially. Then when you have to give a pill, your pet will be used the idea of having someone mess with their mouth.
2. Get your pet used to the travel kennel. Use it a home as a safe place when there are loud noises or company that frightens you pet. Feed treats in it and maybe even dinner sometimes. You can also use the "safe place" kennel as a safe means of transporting your pet. 
3. Take your pet for a ride, especially your cat, and give a reward when you get home. Make sure that the vet is not the only destination when the kennel and car come out. 
4. Get your puppy or kitten used to having feet touched. Give a treat when they allow you to handle the feet and gradually work up to cutting a toenail or two. This might not work with an older adopted pet but it has a good chance of success with a puppy or kitten. go slowly and stop if your pet gets scared. 
5. Learn to brush your pet's teeth. This will not only make the pet healthier and increase the frequency between dentals, you will also know if you pet has a problem tooth. Dental disease is a hidden cause for illness and loss of appetite.
6. Learn to collect stool, urine, and vomitus samples if your pet is sick. Or take a picture if you just can't bear to handle the gross stuff. This will really help speed up the diagnostic process in the exam room. And remember, if your emergency veterinarian asks what the urine or feces looks like, don't say it is normal unless you actually observed it. Seeing you dog or cat squat from across the yard does not qualify.
7. If fear or aggression is a problem, get your pet used to wearing a muzzle before it is needed in the exam room. You would be surprised. Often an aggressive fear biter will turn into a docile patient after a muzzle is applied. If you know that about your dog, put the muzzle on before you even come into the waiting room. We really don't like to wrestle with a frightened dog and it only makes the situation worse. 
8. Groom your pet regularly and give a pat down to all areas of the body. So often a lump, bump, wound, parasite or abscess is missed on a furry pet. Also, you may find an area that is unusually painful and you can make some observations about if the pain is getting worse or better.
9. Bring medications with you if your pet is sick. Bring the bag of whatever was ingested if you suspect poisoning. Bring the pieces of the leftover mushroom or plant that was ingested. The more evidence we have, the more accurate will be the treatment and diagnosis. 
10. Learn how to take your pet's temperature. When you call in and wonder if your pet is sick, that will help us help you. 
Photo

Post has attachment
Photo

Post has attachment
Ally can into Animal Emergency in Poulsbo with an injured eye. She brought her Teddy Bear for emotional support. Luckily, her injury is not serious and she will recover quickly!
Photo

Post has attachment
Isn't Hunter a cutie? His mom brought him into Animal Emergency in Poulsbo because he wasn't feeling very good. His mom emailed us that Hunter was back to normal the next day after he took his medicine. Hope you stay healthy, Hunter!
Photo

Post has attachment
April 7, 2013
Family Veterinarian: Winslow Animal Clinic, Bainbridge Island 98110
Hello,
Keena is doing very well.  She had her staples removed about a week ago, and just spent a fun weekend at the beach!  
The only feedback that I have for your facility is that you did a wonderful job.  Keena is very attached to us, and I know can be very anxious when we are not around.  When we dropped her off in the evening and when we picked her up in the morning, she seemed well-cared for.  I called during the night to check on her, and received prompt and sympathetic information.  
Keena has only been to an emergency facility once before, in Portland, when she decided to eat three dozen chocolate chip cookies off the counter (since I have learned to keep them far out of her reach!).  We took her to the Dove Lewis emergency center, which was very large and state of the art.  Although I am certain that their center has more resources and more equipment, we received much more reassurance and assistance in Poulsbo.
Thank you for doing a wonderful job taking care of our dog, she is our best friend and a member of our family.  We are so glad that she is doing just fine.
Ingrid 
Keena and her family live on Bainbridge Island
Photo

Post has attachment
Meet Delilah. Her family lives in Kingston and posted this nice picture and comment on our Facebook Page: Thank you Dr.B and staff for taking good care of me :-) I'm feeling much better.
Photo

Post has attachment

A very nice note from Lady's family:
Doctor,

First we thank you for having the courteous and knowledgeable professionals to help us during our time of need at an inconvenient hour.

We have lived here in Poulsbo for more than 30 years and have had four dogs (Lady included) and one cat; Lady was our first ER case.

She is about 100% - eating, etc, and walking with me at our local parks.  THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Additionally, your thoughtfulness to Inform the Doctors Daigle, at the Poulsbo Marina Veterinary Clinic was a real classic unselfish act of understanding on your part.
God Bless you and your staff
Wanda, Glenn and Lady
Photo

Post has attachment
Photo
Wait while more posts are being loaded