- The Reader's Digest AssociationDiretor of WordPress Devlopement, 2013 - presentIn a nutshell I make WordPress better. Look for me at WordCampNYC 2014 -> http://2014.nyc.wordcamp.org/ I design High Performance WordPress solutions by utilizing proper master slave replicated MySql databases engines and the HyperDB drop-in tuned to maximize balancing of read and write operations. I am overhauling our caching solutions and because the file/disk based caching mechanisms we have in place are grossly inadequate for a load-balanced multiserver environment. Thankfully memcahced and Batcache are fairly straight forward once you understand the nuances. In addition I am currently working on making WordPress play nice with PHPcs and PHPUnit. I hope to deploy centralized log hosting as well as centralized time synching (NTP) to get the infrastructure on a solid footing and eventually implement Jenkins CI. I still feel that git is superior to svn in a distributed environment and that it is a better fit for Continuous Integration. For now I am working with the tools that I have been given, nudging the team in a better direction. This means setting a coding standard that is aligned with the common PHP best practices of other large organizations. This also leads to a large amount of code cleanup and refactoring to optimize SQL queries and prune other wasteful practices.
- Olivent TechologiesAuthor, Public Speaker, Technology Leader,, 2007 - presentFounded this professional services consulting firm setting the general company direction delivering unique solutions to a diverse client base. Maintained profitability every year since the company’s launch by negotiating strategic partnerships with key vendors and leveraging existing alliances. * Designed and deployed customer facing WordPress sites with custom options written in PHP * Reduced expenses by 50%, consolidating colocation services and corporate infrastructure resources * Lowered server hosting and energy costs 25% by deploying virtualization solutions * Sarbanes-Oxley and HIPAA Compliancy at applicable client sites * Cut client travel costs by 80% through the implementation of video conferencing solutions * Improved client satisfaction 30% through the use of social networking and marketing technologies like Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook using sound SEO & SEM practices * Deployed sophisticated network switching core on 10G fiber optic backbone * Implemented a sophisticated centralized logging solution for monitoring network attached devices * Built complex networks of unifying Microsoft ActiveDirectory and Mac OS X OpenDirectory for seamless single sign-on * Deployed Nagios, establishing consistent equipment monitoring throughout the client base.
- Tech Alliance (formerly: Optimised Computer Solutions)CTO/CIO, 1997 - 2009Led a highly skilled technical team of infrastructure engineers, software designers and support technicians as well as al ISP operations. Delivered a wide range of services to our 400 plus business client in the NYC metro area. Cutting costs through strategic COLO consolidations, VOIP phone initiatives and custom hosted LAMP stack SAAS projects written in PHP.
- US Coast GuardEMO, 1986 - 1997
- Walker DigitalVP of Engineering, 2010 - 2011Built a talented team to work on the company’s embedded RFID based gaming solution. Work closely with all stake holders to deploy the backend Linux server tier 2 months ahead of schedule as well as the subsequent round of embedded Linux table systems. Led my team to overcome the challenges associated with a customer supplied infrastructure.
Fashion Trends of the 1970s | Vintage Fashion | Pop Culture | 1970s — Re...
Take a trip back to the early ’70s as Reminisce highlights spring fashion trends using pages from the May 1973 Simplicity pattern book.
How to Make Irresistible Biscuits From Scratch | Reader's Digest
Celebrated Chef Matt Farley from Nashville's acclaimed restaurant The Southern shares his secrets for pulling off biscuits from scratch.
Is Amazon Fire Phone the Apex of Communication or The End? | LinkedIn
My very first mobile phone was a borrowed one. I had jury duty and my boss graciously lent me the office's sole mobile phone. It was a 1987
Leftover Wine? 8 Clever Uses for It | Reader's Digest
Don't let that unfinished bottle go to waste! Read on for 8 ingenious uses for leftover wine.
Google's 10 Big Bets On The Future - InformationWeek
From Project Ara smartphones to solar-powered drones, these Google projects try to turn science fiction into reality. Look what's coming.
A Startlingly Simple Theory About the Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet | Au...
A pilot with 20 years of experience provides the best explanation yet on what happened to flight MH370.
8 Ways to Change Up Stuffed Peppers | Reader's Digest
Bored with your basic stuffed peppers recipe ? Try these tasty, easy options instead.
Yanukovich abandons Kiev compound, opposition demands vote by May
KIEV (Reuters) - Protesters seized the Kiev office of President Viktor Yanukovich on Saturday and the opposition demanded a new election be
Organization Tips: 4 Clever Ways to Get Organized | Reader's Digest
Simplify spring-cleaning with these smart—and unlikely—space savers.
10 Things You Never Knew About the Secret Service | Reader's Digest
Read on for surprising facts about one of America's most private agencies.
9 Easy Ways to Make Pancakes More Delicious | Reader's Digest
We've kept these decadent pancake recipe ideas to three steps max, because you shouldn't have to think too hard before breakfast.