I've been experimenting with some crazy ideas lately about using Google Tag Manager to bring semantic data into Google Analytics as custom events and dimensions. Not only does this let SEOs like us track the ROI of implementing structured data (this makes it easy to segment out pages w/ semantic markup vs. those w/o) but it allows us to leverage the semantic markup we already have in place to make our analytics data more valuable.
I'd love for you to check out the post and let me know what you think.
Through the process of trying to figure out how I could track the performance of semantic markup, I discovered that I could use Google Tag Manager coupled with a dataLayer and dynamic tags to push out JSON-LD structured data/markup at scale.
Check out, 7 Steps to Pushing Out JSON-LD Structured Data using Google Tag Manager, to learn how I'm delivering structured data to Google without having to actually add microdata markup to my pages' code. We can also use this method to more elegantly enable the type of Semantic Analytics I first described in my post (http://moz.com/blog/semantic-analytics).
If you're at #SMX this week, I'll be doing an in-depth session on this tomorrow at 9am. Join me!
Thanks for giving me the motivation to actually document this !
Semantic Analytics: How to Track the ROI of Structured Data using GTM
Learn how to use Google Tag Manager to track the ROI of your site's structured data. Plus, learn how to leverage your markup to produce "semantic analytics."
Since SMX, I've started brining in semantic data as Custom Dimensions, too. Really takes it a level deeper, IMO.
As you will have seen you've left poor breathless (http://bit.ly/1DrgmT8) - more over there. :)
- California State University, Northridge2004 - 2007
- Moorpark Community College2001 - 2004
- Make It Rain Doge
- UpBuildFounder & CEO, 2015 - presentUpBuild is a boutique digital marketing agency specializing in the end-to-end optimization of the online user journey. We begin with the optimization of organic inbound traffic (SEO), monitor and analyze site performance through backbone of advanced web analytics, and produce an exponential return through conversion rate optimization. Whether it’s ensuring the success of a site launch, partnering to improve the ROI on your digital strategy, or leveling up the team within your organization through hands-on training, we want to build something great.
- SwellPathDirector of Analytics & Optimization, 2014 - 2015Geeking out. Mentoring and supporting amazing people. Getting clients stoked. Optimizing processes. Killing it.
- SwellPathSEO Team Manager, 2013 - 2014As the SEO Team Manager at SwellPath, I'm responsible for leading the agency's SEO offering. A huge part of that is advancing our approach to search marketing, developing long-term client strategies, and developing new SEO offerings and techniques. I also work closely with the CEO and sales team to scope new engagements and am tasked with advancing the agency's reputation though being SwellPath's "face of SEO" (i.e., interfacing with key stakeholders, speaking at conferences, and blogging). On the team side, I work to direct, collaborate with, and mentor senior SEO analysts, search analysts, and junior digital analysts. It's not only my job to be the most informed and experienced SEO specialist in the office, but to share that expertise and information with the entire team through both structured and unstructured knowledge sharing.
3 Reasons Why Optimizely is Key to Marketing - SwellPath
Optimizely is more than an A/B testing tool. Audience targeting & product integrations make it a personalization tool that can alter the fac
Implement and TRACK Structured Data - SMX East 2014
As part of the panel on "25 Smart Examples of Structured Data You Can Use", I'm presenting ways you can implement and track (a commonly over
Project Management & Installation Services | MTI Global Services
Our project management services include retail fixture installation, electronics installation, and parts management solutions. Choose MTI Gl
Ways to Proactively Welcome Women Into Online Marketing
SEO may be a male-dominated industry, but let's step out of our biases and work hard to welcome women, and marketers of all stripes, into ou
PSA: YouTube Posts Your Comments To Google+, You Anti-Semite - Digital H...
Dear Anti Semitic Applicant, YouTube posts Your Comments To Google+ so you should probably be careful with the comments when you roll those
September 2014 - Back to School with SEMpdx | SEMpdx
As we do most of the time, we are meeting on the second Tuesday of the month, with networking from 5 to 7, we'll have an hour long presentat
Google Tag Manager Events using HTML5 data attributes
Using HTML5 data attributes to trigger Google Tag Manager events separates data from the business logic of an application.
Toyota Prius V, Toyota Prius Trailer Hitch - Class I [ 11276 ]
Manufacturer: Curt Manufacturing Part Number: 11276 Rating: Class I Receiver Size: 1.25" Maximum Weight Carrying Capacity: Gross Trailer Wei
Kelly Clay | Content Marketer | Writer | Seattle | Depression and Drinki...
It was February 2008. Everything had gone wrong the previous few months; I had left a great job at Google after having a severe panic attack
A Look Inside SwellPath's Company Culture | SwellPath
Building a successful company culture is no small task and ours is very much a work in progress. Join me in exploring what we've built at Sw
HitchSource.com | Trailer Hitch Accessories, RV Hitches & Racks
HitchSource.com is your go-to for trailer hitch accessories, RV hitches, racks & Jeep towing parts. Shop our large selection & enjoy our low
Twitter Advertising for Direct Response Marketers - SwellPath
Twitter Ads offer a new medium for direct response marketers, if you know how to use it. Lead Gen cards and Website cards can help you drive