- Alexandria City Public SchoolRedistricting Review Committee Member, 2015 - presentMember of committee that will help ensure community involvement in the redistricting process — a process aimed to help solve capacity issues and strengthen the sense of neighborhood schools. For more information please visit the website: http://www.acps.k12.va.us/redistricting/
- City of AlexandriaBudget & Fiscal Affairs Committee Member, 2015 - presentMember of an advisory committee to the local School Board whose scope of work is on budget process issues, the content of the operating and capital improvement budgets, alternative financing of school projects, revenue sharing, and provide a draft of recommended revisions to policies governing the budget process.
- Virginia Board for Persons with DisabilitiesBoard Member, 2014 - presentAppointed by Governor Terry McAuliffee to Virginia’s development disabilities council responsible for promoting and guiding public policy changes that impact individuals with disabilities.
- Virginia Special Education Advisory CommitteeMember, 2011 - 2014Appointed by the Virginia State Board of Education to advisory committee responsible for the formulation and development of long-range plans to provide services to students with disabilities. Led subcommittee focused on the concerns of recruitment and retention of special education teachers and related service providers.
- Examiner.comDC Disney Traveler, 2011 - 2014Regional content provider focused on developing online content on current news, travel tips and topics for enthusiast who vacation at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.
- Examiner.comDC Disabilty Examiner, 2009 - 2010Regional content provider focused on developing online content on issues impacting the disability community in the areas of education, housing, civil rights and transportation.
- Virginia Board for Persons with DisabilitiesChair, Education Committee, 2007 - 2010Appointed by Governor Tim Kaine to Virginia’s development disabilities council responsible for promoting and guiding public policy changes that impact individuals with disabilities. Led subcommittee focused on developing policies, positions and initiatives intended to enhance the delivery of disability services in schools and other educational institutions. • Served on Medicaid Waiver Task Force at the request of the Director of the Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services to work with other disability advocates and agency representatives to develop a Medicaid Waiver for Autism Services for funding consideration by the Governor of Virginia.
- United States SenateVarious positions, 1994 - 2003
- Alexandria City Public SchoolsStrategic Plan Stakeholder Committee Member, 2014 - 2015Participated as a member of the committee responsible for drafting a new strategic plan for the Alexandria City Public School system.
For the past 20 years, I have called the Washington DC metro area home and in that time, I have not had a traditional career path. The road I have traveled has taken me to a variety of challenging experiences in Federal and state government, nonprofits and the private sector. I have served 3 U.S. Senators and 1 U.S. Federal Judge helped set up the DC office of one of the leading global digital forensics firm; co-founded a political action committee concerned about people with disabilities in Virginia; was on online content provider for Examiner.com, writing about issues impacting people with disabilities and traveling to Walt Disney World; have been appointed by 3 different Virginia Governors to positions in state government. Over the years, Federal laws impacting the lives of those with disabilities have helped shaped an extensive network of services impacting just about every aspect - telecommunications, housing, transportation, voting, civil rights, education and even architectural standards for the construction of buildings – and I have been fortunate to serve on 4 of those 7 state-wide panels that participate in helping to shape policies and advocate for needed reforms or services for people with disabilities:
- Developmental Disability Councils
- Mental Health Planning and Advocacy Councils
- Special Education Advisory Panels
- Parent Training and Information Centers
I am always learning from the people around me and I keep my eyes and ears open to find that my leadership style improves as I work during difficult situations with great people. What's next? Let's find out!
- University of Texas at El PasoPolitical Science, 1987 - 1992
- CookieJam GS
Childhood Mental Illness If Left Untreated Can Cause Psychiatric Trouble...
A new report suggests that there is an increasing number of young children suffering from mental problems.
Ryan sets mental health agenda - Portsmouth Daily Times - portsmouth-dai...
Laying out his agenda for Congress this election year, Speaker Paul Ryan highlighted both mental health and criminal justice reform as areas
Depressed People May Not Be Getting the Information They Are Looking For
More than 15 million American adults seek treatment for depression each year. However, a first-of-its-kind study by researchers at The Dartm
Schools’ role in mental health grows -- Experts believe problems can be ...
The first-grader was shuffling through his school papers when he stumbled across it: the test he had been taking last month when he got so a
The Feds Are Trying To Take Over Mental Health Policy From States
The federal government shouldn’t direct more money into psychiatric hospitals that don’t address mental health patients’ true needs.
Pets improve mental health function among adolescents with psychiatric d...
Researchers wanted to determine how animal-assisted Therapy (AAT) can help improve mental function among children and adolescents with acute
Adults with developmental disabilities compete in the 20th annual Extrao...
Story by Gary WidomCBS12Suburban Boca Raton CBS12 -- Tucked away off Glades Road in West Boca Raton,
Center in El Paso providing unique physical therapy for special needs ch...
EL PASO, Texas – The Therapeutic Horsemanship of El Paso is a hidden treasure. It gives children with special needs like Joey Harrell a brig
Mentally Ill People Most Likely to be Killed by the Police: Study
Mentally ill are common victims of fatal police encounters.
Missouri Eating Disorder Council Launches Awareness Campaign for 'Deadli...
Everyone knows someone with an eating disorder. That is the message of a new public service announcement by the Missouri Eating Disorder Cou
Paul Ryan: We need to fix our ‘outdated’ mental illness laws
House Speaker Paul Ryan said Thursday that the mental health system in the country needs to be fixed, in the wake of a shooting spree a day
Lohmann: For those on the autism spectrum, Capital One opens the door
The first question that parents of special-needs children ask, says Bryan McCann, is, “What happens when I’m gone?”
Inside the Tortured Mind of Eddie Ray Routh, the Man Who Killed American...
At his trial, prosecutors said Routh was a cold-blooded killer. His private medical records tell a different story.
The Texan Talks: mental health and suicide prevention - The Daily Texan
Forum Editor Walker Fountain introduces the final The Texan Talks and Forum page of the fall 2015 long semester focusing on mental health an
Treating PTSD: It's a maze of pills, possibilities for troops, vets
Former Army Sgt. Eric Terry returned from Iraq in 2007. Friends of his died during the yearlong deployment, and he experienced close calls w
Paris Attacks: The Mental Scars of Terrorism : DNews
The extreme trauma of a terrorist attack like the one in Paris can take a widespread psychological toll on victims, relatives and even dista
Hundreds walk through the rain for mental illness awareness | Local News...
Hundreds trekked through the rain and wind to raise awareness for mental illness out at Lover's Point Saturday morning.