Anima Sana in Corpore Sano
"Healthy Soul in a Healthy Body"
You could know me from so many different parts of my life:
Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity (SCROLL DOWN MY PROFILE TO SEE A SPECIAL MESSAGE FOR YOU)
My time at Purdue University
My career at IBM
My career at ISI
My real estate endeavors
My restaurant, hotel, banquet facility, Cliffbreakers
My cooking adventures
My interest in other languages
Here's how I manage my circles:
I used to have a rather complex process for managing my circles, adding everyone who circled me and then hoping against hope to find a way to classify them by their (mutual) interests. I have since given up on that approach, since every day so many people follow me but never engage in any way with me.
So now, I just let those notifications pass by untouched. Instead, I add people to my circles based on their engagement with me. If I find someone who seems interesting based on their posts that I can see, they go in my "Interesting People" circle. If we interact with each other in a compelling way, they''ll go in my "Try Outs" circle. That's a notification circle so I don't miss anything they share, at least for a while. Every few weeks, I review that circle and move those people their natural home in my interest circles.
I generally share things publically. I'm open to all discourse, civilized, interesting and passionate. If you start out calling me homophobic or an idiot or any other slur based not on intelligence but just on your desire to squelch my free expression, we'll both be better off if we disconnect from each other. G+ provides block for that reason. I'm a nice guy and I try to be nice to everyone. If I make a joke, it's a joke. You can't get away with calling me a hater, just because you don't like my thoughts or my humor. Remove me from your life and I'll remove you from mine. We'll both be better off. And if, in the course of my free expression here, I say something that I should have worded better, if you politely suggest another way to express myself or engage in meaningful conversation to persuade me to a different way of thinking - GREAT.
1) Based on this, if you are in my Tryouts circle I try to move you out of the Tryouts to whatever interest group I have for that pursuit (examples, Food Lovers, Wine Lovers, Bicyclists, Exercise Lovers, Dog Lovers, German speakers, etc.... -- see below for complete list).
2) Anyone who posts offensive things gets blocked. And by hatred, I mean ACTUAL hatred, not just differing views from mine.
3) If you mostly post political opinions, that can get me excited and interested, whichever side you're on. BUT if you express your political views by simply saying you "hate" a group of candidates, you probably should review your choice of words. Hate is a really strong emotion and word. It should be reserved for things you REALLY hate, which for most decent people is not very much! And certainly not just the guy who's voting pattern in Congress is different than you'd like. If you want to engage in meaningful discussion of issues, I'm all for it, but please respect my opinion and my evaluation of facts and don't automatically deem me or my candidates or my party as stupid just because we disagree or conclude different things from the same set of facts.
4) Anyone who seems to just be trying to sell me on their special brand of SEO or social networking expertise gets ignored. There are SOOO many of them on here and frankly it's not only not an interest of mine, I just don't want my social networking time to be consumed by reading and skipping things that just don't interest me at all.
So in conclusion, please interact with me and let me know how we should connect on Google+!
So here's the circles list:
IF YOU ADD ME TO YOUR CIRCLES, PLEASE
TELL ME WHY AND WHICH OF MY CIRCLES YOU'D LIKE TO BE INCLUDED IN
Google Business Pages
Wedding Event Planners
Let me know?
Family, Friends, Following, Acquaintances, Google Hangouts, CouchSurfers and Coworkers are not OPT-IN circles. I add those based on my version of the truth......
SPECIAL MESSAGE FOR SIGEPS:
Hello to All the SigEps in my circles on Google+ !
Be sure you also circle our OFFICIAL page:
Many of you are new arrivals because I just discovered you on Google+. If we haven't met, I'll give a brief introduction: I am a SigEp from Purdue (Indiana Alpha), 1984. I was President of my chapter and since then I've been a Chapter Counselor, Alumni Board Treasurer, President and Secretary. I served on the National Board as a student and was District Governor for Illinois. At the moment, I'm active on the AVC Boards for Purdue and for UC Berkeley (California Alpha).
I'm actively engaged in trying to build a circle in excess of 1000 SigEps on Google+ for the purpose of collaboration between Alumni, volunteers and undergraduates. This technology is in its infancy and is already proving to be immensely useful.
Would you please help in a small way? I'm on a plateau at around 300 SigEps. Help me get over the 1000 mark (where the power of critical mass seems inevitable)! Take these small steps to help:
1) Add me to your circles so that I can see what you share that's of interest to you.
2) Send me a direct message on G+ and tell me who you are in SigEp (chapter, graduation year, ways you have participated in the past, how you're involved today or want to be involved)
3) Make a circle of SigEps you're connected to on Google+ and share that circle with me.
I'll send the occasional post your way when I discover something that I think will be particularly interesting to SigEps in general. As my SigEp circle grows, I expect we'll be able to use it to discover talents and skills that are available to be shared.
I appreciate your consideration and joining in what will become a very powerful collaboration tool for the benefit of our undergraduate members and chapters !