- St. Joseph Institute for AddictionDirector of Enthusiasm, 12 - presentHold ultimate responsibility for the organization's marketing activities and oversee the development and delivery of a fully integrated marketing and communications strategy for new and existing products and services. Oversee implementation of campaigns, events, digital marketing, and PR. Work closely with the company’s outreach team and enable them to meet their objectives by providing appropriate tools, materials, and presentations. Undertake continuous analysis of competitive environment and consumer trends. Develop and manage Web sites and expand online presence and brand awareness via organic, paid search and other online marketing strategies. Implement online education, electronic publishing, and strategic recovery community plans. Manage social media presence and direct programs to improve social media reputation and recognition. Responsible for leading technology strategy across the enterprise. Develop, implement, and support both short- and long-term technology plans; create and administer IT policies and procedures; and audit information system use for compliance and security. Analyze needs and budgets and make recommendations for updates, replacements, or enhancements. Manage the contract negotiations and purchase and installation of new systems. Consult with management, clients, and staff; supervise the IT department staff, including hiring and training; provide technical support; and conduct feasibility studies for information technology projects.
- mudcat.orgFounder, Publisher, 1995 - presentFounded, designed, and publish a now 20-year-running online community and knowledge database recognized and archived by the Library of Congress as a historical record of traditional music, 2nd in volume only to their own collection. Designed, programmed, and moderate a public discussion forum, custom private messaging and chat, e-commerce shopping system, pay-per-view media distribution system, a database of over 20,000 songs, 75,000 members, and 3.5 million messages on 80,000 topics. mudcat.org averages over 2 million page views from over 200 countries per month.
- Pennsylvania State University - English DepartmentDigital Architect/Lecturer, 2011 - 2014Created and manage zebrapedia.psu.edu, a Web community devoted to the ongoing transcription, annotation, discussion and editing of Philip K Dick's million-word journals (Exegesis), using collaborative research tools and techniques to explore the mammoth digital text using/developing various approaches of Swarm Scholarship, digital analysis and natural language processing. Primary technologies include Ruby on Rails, Python, NTLK, Fromthepage and Diaspora.
- Penn State Dept of English, Möbius DivisionSecret Agent of the Noösphere, 2011 - 2013Created and managed zebrapedia.psu.edu, a Web community devoted to the ongoing transcription, annotation, discussion, and editing of Philip K Dick's million-word journals (Exegesis), using collaborative research tools and techniques to explore the mammoth digital text using/developing various approaches of Swarm Scholarship, digital analysis, and natural language processing. Primary technologies include Ruby on Rails, Python, NTLK, fromthepage, and Diaspora.
- Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences and ExtensionWeb & Social Media Strategist, 2010 - 2011Developed Web sites in Plone CMS, managed the Social Media strategy, training, best practices, and operations of various college programs; innovated in areas of search engine optimization, analytics (for web, social media & CVENT), email marketing, reputation management, and pay- per-click advertising. Worked seamlessly with Marketing, Short Courses, Extension, AgIT, Food Safety, VBS, Recruitment, etc.
- Penn State OutreachMarketing Strategist, 2009 - 2010Developed, implemented, and managed marketing plans in support of Penn State Conferences, Management Development, WPSU, and Cooperative Extension by means of direct mail, e-mail, Web, and Social Media Marketing. Chaired a University-wide committee on Web 2.0 tools, competencies, and best practices.
- Onstage Media, Inc.Founder, CEO, 1995 - 2001Founded, incorporated and operated a full service Web site design and hosting firm. Responsibilities included finance, HR, project management, sales, contracting, proposal writing, design, HTML, CFML, SQL, e-commerce, customer service and graphic design. Managed a team of 8 programmers and designers and hundreds of projects for millions of dollars.
- Keller Williams RealtyDirector of Technology, 2001 - 2008Developed and implemented marketing & advertising in direct mail, print and Web. Developed custom Web applications to integrate advanced contact management and existing telephone and internet lead capture services. Designed and composed all company logos, letterhead, literature, market statistics and operations checklists, and maintained compliance with federal, state, local and company Real Estate Law and Policy. Created curriculum and taught various classes in a technological corporate training environment. In charge of creation and utilization of IT & advertising budgets.
PO Box 274 State College, PA 16804
I am the Director of Enthusiasm for St. Joseph Institute for Addiction, an Ethnomusicologist publishing mudcat.org, Public Radio Host & Producer with wpsu.org/blues, and Musician, previously with kazoorepair.com. I score and produce the soundtrack for full length feature films such as 99% Sure. I'm also a father of 3 super-monkeys, working on a children's-music-that-doesn't-make-you-stabby project, looking for a tuba player for another band, and trying to figure out what to do with all my free time.
- Penn State UniversityPhilosophy, 1990 - 1994
- Central Dauphin High School
- Hollidaysburg Area Senior High School
- Freehold Regional High School
The Power of “Real” « Blog: Substance Abuse, Alcoholism & Addictions
Some would call it human nature, but perhaps it is more accurately described as a human weakness. I'm referring to our common desire to suga
Selfies Linked to Narcissism, Addiction and Mental Illness, Say Scientists
The growing trend of taking smartphone selfies is linked to mental health conditions, which focus on a person's obsession with looks.
I lost my dad to Fox News: How a generation was captured by thrashing hy...
Old white people are drowning in despair and rage. Here's how my father lost his mind -- thanks to his cable diet
The Gorgeous Reality of Not Being Liked by Everyone
We want everyone to like us, but we shouldn’t.
Why You See What You See When You're Tripping on Psychedelics
Take a good, hard look at yourself tripping face and you'll find that why you're seeing exactly what you're seeing is perhaps just as profou
Set Gmail as Your Browser's Default Email Client with a Simple Hack
Sick of mailto: links in your browser opening Outlook or Mail.app whenever you click them? You can tackle this problem with extensions or th
Traditional Music and Folklore Collection and Community
The Mudcat Cafe is a community of musicians, historians and enthusiasts that collect and discuss traditional folk and blues songs, folklore,