I am happy to announce that we are starting initial deployment of the Android 6.0 Marshmallow upgrade for the following devices and channels:
- 2015 Moto X Style (3rd Gen) in both Brazil and India retail
- 2014 Moto X (2nd Gen) in Brazil retail
Full deployment will proceed in stages over the next few weeks. It is not yet available for pull, you will receive a notification on your phone when you are able to update your phone. We have also started the approval process for 2015 Moto X Pure Edition (3rd Gen) and expect to push it out in the next few weeks.
Here are a few of the new improvements and features in the Marshmallow upgrade:
- A new Memory Manager that lets you check memory usage of all your installed apps
- Volume controls have been greatly improved
- Do not disturb button has been added to the quick settings panel for easy access.
- System UI Tuner will appear in the settings menu at the very bottom once enabled. It provides a few simple UI tweaks.
- Google Now on Tap allows contextual information to be delivered based on content on your screen with a long press of the home key.
- Doze is a battery management feature that detects when your device is not in use and it will automatically go into a deep sleep state which saves your battery.
- App Standby reduces battery drain by putting seldom-used apps into a reduced activity state.
- Expandable Storage support allows for microSD cards to be used either in a portable storage or an internal storage mode. Portable storage allows your pictures, videos, audio and other media files to be stored. Internal storage allows both media storage along with apps and games but can not be used by other devices.
- RAM manager in settings which allows a consumer to view memory used by the system or an individual app over different time frames
- Automatic App backup not only backs up your apps but their associated data so when restored they will be the same as they were before
- Text selection has been improved
There are additional changes and features, please take a look at the full details here.
I hope you enjoy Android 6.0 Marshmallow!
Hey everyone.... I see a lot of questions so I am going to answers the ones I can....
1) There have been a number of questions about our 2013 devices and if they are going to get upgraded to Marshmallow. Moto X (1st Gen) , Moto G (1st Gen), Moto E (1st Gen), and Moto G with LTE (1st Gen) will remain on Lollipop 5.1.
2) Moto MAXX, Moto Turbo, and Droid Turbo will be upgraded to Marshmallow. Please see the Motorola Marshmallow blog post (http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2015/10/marshmallow-and-smore.html
) for more details.
3) There was a question about what I meant by “initial deployments”? In a previous post I had explained our progression of testing and deployments when it comes to upgrades. Here is what I posted a few months back that hopefully answers your questions:
What do I mean when I say TestDrive vs "soak testing" vs "full deployment". TestDrive is an early phase of validation with a small (typically 20 to 200) individuals that can span weeks to months depending on the results. Soak testing is started once we have a "final" release candidate and typically will be 2 to 7 days in duration depending on the carrier/channel requirements. Finally, full deployment is after the soak period and all result are good, we make the release available to all appropriate devices for that release.
4) As part of the Marshmallow release of the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition, LTE Band 12 is enabled for the T-Mobile network.
5) 2015 Moto X Pure Edition is a non-stock model for 5 US carriers (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Verizon), which reduces the certification interval but does not eliminate them completely.
6) Lollipop software has been deployed to 2013 Moto E (1st Gen). Please verify your the software is up to date from Settings->About Phone->System updates.