We are deeply saddened, and dissatisfied that Niantic's error essentially made the score for Szczecin unresolvable. We believe this situation is unacceptable and Niantic must take measures to ensure this will never occur again. We have been approached by Niantic with a solution - calling it a draw, and creating a bonus point awarded for scoring a "hero" proxy site.
After discussions between the Enlightened and Resistance PoCs, we believe that Schrodinger's Target in Phase 2 and the Hero Sites / Bonus Point suggestion are both extremely inconsistent with the anomaly rules as defined by Niantic. We feel that the lack of the most basic checks by Niantic, followed by the knee-jerk reactions that resulted in this situation, are both completely unacceptable.
As such both the Enlightened and Resistance PoCs have reached an agreement: We will not be playing Niantic's game and we are refusing to select any bonus site(s). We may not be entirely satisfied by calling it a draw and splitting the point in half, but we do agree that this is the fairest outcome for both factions. Any other decision would only further invalidate the participation and hard work of every agent involved with Szczecin from both factions, which otherwise made for an extremely close outcome.
1209 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 81 previous comments
- nope, I'm replying to this post and the post isn't clear on what happened, hence my question (note it wasn't a conclusion).Aug 28, 2017
- If you have Reddit, it's all posted there.
Specifically, the comment by "RedditAntiHero "
(And posting " Did NIA break their own rules again to influence the outcome of the Anomaly? " IS jumping to conclusions. )Aug 28, 2017
- Good decision by the POCs. I think it's lame that Niantic posted about the hero proxy site before that approach had even been confirmed with the two sets of organizers. Having to back-peddle the decision about RES winning ... and then back-peddling on the hero site... just adds to perceptions of incompetence and comes across like a total lack of respect for volunteer player organizers. I also think the complicated and weird anomaly rules make the game less enjoyable overall. Even when "errors" aren't made by Niantic, it's still very difficult for someone on the ground at an anomaly to know who is winning. If you could see the score live, it would be much more exciting for everyone. I can't imagine watching a hockey game or something where people skate around for 5 hours with no concept of the score and then you find out who won later (as long as no errors were made) and there's no way to really validate that the score is even correct. The complicated rules don't make the game better or improve the player experience, so it's no wonder people question Niantic's motives. Anyway, this stuff seems to have been happening since the beginning and people keep playing along, so it's nice to see a group take a stand against the turdery. I hope the local player organizers plan their own unofficial event where both factions can get together for drinks or something. I would happily contribute what I DIDN'T spend on a rare pack in Ann Arbor to a fundraiser for such an event. Perhaps others would do the same, pledging what they would spend on a rare pack in the future to ensuring the players in Szczecin can recoup some of what they lost.Aug 28, 2017
- In all seriousness, this "Schröedinger's Target" thing was probably inevitable. Since the back end isn't ACID compliant (it is "eventually read-consistent", not immediately) it would be inevitable that such a thing would occur. It's the same issue that gave rise to early exploits like multiplying keys by dropping and picking, or multiple portal capture bonuses or unbreakable links.Aug 28, 2017
- This has nothing to do with ACID. Selection of portals to be targets is a selection process, not a real-time process.Aug 28, 2017
- Many thanks!!!!😘😘😘Aug 29, 2017
- Schroedinger targets should be a thing in the next series. Just full on choas, it'll totally work.Aug 29, 2017
- The same shit happened in Argentina. They screwed the list of volatiles for a cluster.
It was the same list for, say, cluster 3 and cluster 4.
What was the solution? Volatiles points were not counted on the affected cluster 4.
Enlightened lost the anomaly by one, YES ONE point. With the points of the listed portals we would have won by 18 points. Worst part of it all, was that our strategy was mostly put into volatile portals, so the biggest efforts went there.
I'm not whining about the point, let's make that clear. I'm complaining that these errors happen every time everywhere. And nothing is really done in the end to avoid them.
Thanks for your apollogies I hope that your work is really making a difference this time.Aug 29, 2017
Add a comment...