- Lockheed MartinStrategic Sourcing, 2012 - presentThe Strategic Talent Sourcing Consultant is part of the Strategic Sourcing Group (SSG) within the corporate workforce strategy, analytics & acquisition organization. I am responsible for talent research, competitive intelligence, and talent pipeline building for critical skilled talent areas that map to Lockheed Martin’s workforce plan. This role is very strategic, yet does allow opportunities to put strategy into action. The highlights of this include: • Project Manager on technology initiatives to enhance candidate identification and development, as well as the candidate experience. • Talent community initiatives that engage, nurture, and build long term relationships with key segments of talent.• Researched | Reviewed |Recommended technology solutions for a recruitment marketing platform and developed the RFI/RFQ• Led sourcing initiatives for critical talent required to meet business objectives• Co-developed the Lockheed Martin talent acquisition strategy for 2013• Created the vision of Web 3.0 and outlined a broad path to accomplish that goal for talent acquisition
- Bill & Melinda Gates FoundationSenior Research Recruiter, 2011 - 2012Member of an internal executive search team; provide research for senior level positions in global health, global development, US Programs (education) and operations Develop, drive and execute on a portfolio quality driven research services/strategies designed to identify senior level and niche talent that map to the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation programs. In addition, am responsible for building a passive talent pipeline by leveraging advanced research strategies; recruitment marketing strategies, as well as leveraging technology and social channels. A key strategy is to create expert communities that were serve the dual purpose of evangelizing the Gates Foundation priority strategies as well as, creating opportunities to engage the executive talent that comprise the groups. In this way we can map our efforts to the Gates Foundation mission and serve our grantees and partners in a more impactful manner.
- Research In MotionSourcing Program Manager, 2011 - 2011Global responsibilities for strategic sourcing programs; including social recruiting campaigns & events; talent pipelines & communities; sourcing & social recruiting training and the integration of social recruiting technologies. Led an EMEA (Europe, the Middle East and Africa) Region competitive response campaign that generated 3 immediate hires and a 250+ pipeline of target talent. Created “The BlackBerry Vine,” a community designed to be the voice of RIM’s culture; grew the community to 1000+ members in about 3 months. Was a “thought partner” with Global Sourcing Leader in redesigning the global sourcing ecosystem (talent intelligence, ERP, talent communities, SEO, social recruiting events & campaigns & CRM) to make a significant impact on strategic talent acquisition at Research In Motion (RIM).
- MicrosoftTalent Sourcer, 2006 - 2011This Talent Sourcer role was a hybrid role that contained aspects of project management, competitive talent intelligence, talent identification and branding & digital media. It involved identifying potential talent and leveraging social recruiting technology to build talent pipelines and talent communities to proactively meet Microsoft’s Entertainment & Devices Division (E&D) objectives. The focus was to identify the talent E&D would need over a three to five years year period. Strategic Sourcing My responsibility was to identify current and future talent (employees) for E&D. Specifically, I identified the target talent and segmented the audiences into professions that would be needed by our division to meet its goals and objectives. Two aspects of this work were unique; first, instead of centering on an immediate transaction, this work concentrated on engaging and nurturing relationships with the target audience. And second, we focused on the total target audience for a profession. For example, if there are 1.2M software engineers in North America, we measured our success by the % of that population that was identified. Talent Community Building Created talent communities leveraging Web 2.0 (digital) technologies and social communities with the purpose of creating a pool of target talent that was interested in Microsoft and the respective profession the community was built around. We created a unique experience for the prospect | candidate that was interested in exploring a career with Microsoft, either currently or in the future. This workstream is an integral part of the pioneering talent community development pilot at Microsoft. This work was honored by ERE as “best use of technology” and by Jobs2Web as one of the top 3 innovators. Social Recruiting Campaigns & Events To address short term hiring objectives, we developed targeted recruiting campaigns as well as produced social recruiting events. While both types of approaches enhanced our relationship with the target audiences, the social nature of the two were different. On one hand, the campaigns offered a light touch by informing the target audience about a recent technological development or new entertainment offering as well as, showcased key opportunities with E&D. On the other hand, these “invitation only” events were social occasions to engage targeted talent audiences in conversations around E&D, our technologies and/or our career opportunities. Normally these instances were live venues that facilitated conversations and showcased Microsoft leaders and technologies or professions. Jobs2Web Project Manager Implemented a recruitment marketing platform to that involved the leveraging of technology to automate recruiting processes; engage social media channels; and enhance the E&D brands. Results included an increase of 1M+ visitors to E&D sites; the ability to manage all the moving parts to a large sourcing ecosystem; and to automate the “active” candidate apply process by leveraging the SEO (Search Engine Optimization) features of Jobs2Web. We Still Serve (www.westillserve.com) Project Recruited to a Microsoft-wide virtual team that developed a unique outreach to a military audience. This outreach broke new ground with this target audience and enhanced the company’s relationship with our largest customer—the US government. Managed the relationships between Jobs2Web (technology vendor), TMP (creative vendor) and the project team. In addition, developed and implemented the social media strategy to engage the military segment.
- lmco.com (current)
Marvin Smith is veteran talent acquisition practitioner who focuses on strategic talent sourcing, talent community building, talent branding, and the use of technology to drive talent identification and engagement strategies. Marvin's current role is a Strategic Talent Sourcing Consultant with Lockheed Martin where he is responsible for talent pipeline building for critical skills talent; and driving corporate wide, talent community initiatives.
Marvin has been on teams that were at the forefront of resurgence of talent sourcing as a strategic weapon in talent acquisition. Previously, he served in positions of strategic talent sourcing program management with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; Blackberry; and Microsoft.
- Pacific Lutheran University
Infographic: The Highest-Paying Companies In America
This chart shows median total compensation at U.S. companies in 2016.
The Anatomy of a Successful LinkedIn Profile [Infographic]
Career Management - To stand out amid the millions of LinkedIn users, you need a stellar profile that captures attention and starts conversa
New Survey: Job Postings Are The Doorway To Your Employer Brand
co-authored by Candace Kim Research suggests that if you care about your employer brand, aka what people think working at your company is li
Infographic: The Brands Millennials Most Want To Work For
This chart shows index rankings of companies millennials would be proud to work for.
The Top 5 Reasons Why Companies Launch Branded Online Communities (and W...
Not sure if you need an online community? These are the top reasons companies start branded online communities.
The 25 Most In-Demand Skills on LinkedIn [Infographic]
Career Management - LinkedIn members who listed cloud- and distributed-computing skills on their profiles were the most sought-after users b
Introducing the 2016 Industry Reports Featuring Exclusive LinkedIn Candi...
Centuries ago, the Polynesians, who lived on islands scattered throughout the Pacific Ocean, were among the best sailors in the world.
Harvard Professor’s Research Suggests That Current Hiring Processes Are ...
Over the years, I’ve suggested that most hiring processes used by most companies were designed to hire the wrong people for the wrong jobs.