- MJ ArtsIllustrator/Building Code consultant, 1998 - present
- Bueau of Buildings, Portland, OregonBuilding Plans Examiner II, 1984 - 1998
- Darrowby House Construction and Design, IncProfessional Building Designer/CEO/Working Foreman, 1979 - 1983
I fell in love with illustration because of Norman Rockwell, NC Wyeth, Howard Pyle and the ‘golden years of illustration’. Growing up with illustrated classics, book jackets that weren’t photographs, illustrations created without photoshop. A brush with death in 1988 provided the impetus to start illustrating, while I was working for the City of Portland. I’m in the process of finishing on the second book I started, back in the early 90’s. The hope is to get it self-published next year. In the decades it’s been sitting, the story has gone into the public domain, so it has a chance of being something more than a promotional project.
The why: being a story teller. I write well, but I’ve never wanted to be a writer. I want to bring words to life, but more, I want to bring heroism to life. Heroism is more than words, it’s deeds, and sometimes deeds are best told by being seen. One of my dreams is that illustrated classics will again come back into vogue, and that they won’t entirely be photoshopped photographs.
- University of OregonArchitecture, 1972 - 1975
- Oregon State UniversityArchitecture, 1970 - 1972