Best in this context means great online merchants demonstrating one of five tectonic shifts in online commerce including:
* = Movement Marketing
* MoMA = Great Email Marketing (still important)
* = Social Shopping
* = Mashup to Mobile and Email
* = DIY Marketing
Subscription is another major #ecommerce trend, but is in on that idea early. Amazon's entry is far from perfect, but why go up against the giant (is our thinking). Smartphones, ubiquitous web and Internet of Things is driving these new commerce trends. Winning customer hearts, minds and loyalty tomorrow promises to be different than today, much different. Faster too :). Marty
It is possible to do EVERYTHING right and still have cancer. My father and I share the same leukemia, for example, so either our genes are destiny or we were both exposed to the same environmental toxin.Eating right and exercising, something I've done (more or less) my entire life without smoking or drinking didn't remove me from the Big C's grip.
If you want to understand the disease more read the Emperor of All Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee. The mathematical nature of blood cancers like my leukemia is why we have chemo - because blood cancers follow a predictive path, a model unchangeable by diet, exercise or anything else.
Not long after being diagnosed I rode a bicycle 3,300 miles across America so your admonishment to exercise is something I believe in (when the chemo isn't kicking my butt). My oncologist timed my treatments so well I had to return to chemo within days of returning from Martin's Ride To Cure Cancer in 2010.
I don't like to assign BLAME to any cancer patient (ever). Your "be better" advice makes it sound as if cancer patients had been more prudent and followed healthy lifestyle choices we wouldn't have cancer.
NOT SO MUCH actually. The last thing anyone battling cancer needs is one more battle - the fight against guilt and suspicion. When you are fighting quite literally for your life priorities get rearranged FAST.
I hope you NEVER hear "cancer" and your name in the same sentence, but eating all the fruit and berries in the world can't insulate you from your genes, environment or the random nature of something that impacts 2 out of 3 men (in their lifetime) and 1 in 3 women.
Those numbers, the 14M people battling cancer, speak to why eating right and exercising is NOT a cure for cancer. In such a broad sample there must be a large number of people as health concerned as my sister. I know one in fact. A california yoga instructor who had a hard time adjusting to having cancer because she worked so hard to be perfect in diet and exercise. She felt she failed to be good enough. Cancer doesn't discriminate, pick and choose or come or not come because of what we do / don't do. Cancer simply IS until we make it GONE.
So I appreciate your note and understand the sentiment, but no Keith there is not already a cure for cancer and having cancer is no one's fault ever.... Marty
Meeting Banksy is on my bucket list. He was on the list before the post wrote about Banksy Social Media Lessons went viral with over 400 inbound links too. Our Banksy post is 41% above another favorite post, our Riffing Community with post.
Our Riff of one of Kelly's posts about creating community is 71% above the next highest post (in terms of inbound links). If that doesn't sound, act and quake like a power distribution we don't know what does. Diving in taught us some things too.
Banksy's response to what is the hardest thing about being a street artist:
Having to make mistakes in public.
When ask what he likes most about being a street artist Banksy said, "Making mistakes in public".
Every web marketer reading this or any Curagami post knows, "Making mistakes in public" is what we do (lol). Did we just make another one by posting lessons learned from our Top 10 Posts (by inbound links)? Who knows....probably :). Marty
Inbound links can teach you a lot about your site's customers, your content and what you should / shouldn't be doing. We share 3 lessons learned from 8,000 inbound links: http://www.curagami.com/link-lessons/?v=7516fd43adaa
- Vassar CollegePsychology, 1976 - 1980
- Choate SchoolPrep School, 1973 - 1976
The battle to survive is so immersive forming a team of CHAMPIONS who stay calm, are willing to help more and more as your need scales and who LOVE and want to help you more than themselves is critical. Winning any dog fight depends on having the right dogs.
I'm LUCKY and have a great group of smart friends who drop everything and help. Sometimes strangers do that too confirming our innate human desire to help each other. Think about it. There are FOMs, Friends of Martin, who I know have helped me survive and accomplish big things like riding a bicycle across America
There are also FOMs I don't know. People who've dedicated their lives to saving mine and we've never met. Those are special people who have my love and appreciation too.
- CuragamiFounder, 2014 - presentCuragami is our Triangle Startup Factory accepted mashup of content marketing, online community, and crowdfunding to create an engine of high quality User Generated Content (UGC) and social shares for ecommerce websites.
- Story of Cancer FoundationFounder, 2013 - 2014Created one of first crowdfunding websites for cancer research launched December 2013. Created CureCancerStore.org.
- Atlantic BT - Marketing DirectorContent Marketer, Internet Marketer, 2011 - 2013Doubled traffic to AtlanticBT.com with content marketing, contests, games and social media. I
- ScentTrail E-CommercePresident, 2010 - 2011interviewed startup entrepreneurs including Jesse Lipson immediately before his $50M sale of ShareFIle to Citrix and Chris Hievly now running Triangle Startup Factory.
- Townsend EnterprisesDirector E-Commerce, 2002 - 2010Managed team that beat sales and profit goals for 7 years contributing more than $30M topline dropping more than $5M to the bottom line.
- Foundobjects.comFounder, 1994 - 2002Created one of the first B2B and B2C websites helping Magnetic Poetry Kit, a specialty gift, become a $50M gift.
- NutraSweetMarketing & Sales Director, 1989 - 1994P&L responsibility for $22M dairy business where we set sales and product launch reacords for three years.
- M&M/MarsUnit Manager, 1982 - 1989Managed team that sold "World's Largest Snickers Bar Display" setting off a competition and helping Midwest region to win a major sales contest.
- Procter & GambleSales Rep, 1981 - 1982Learned to sell the P&G way: Situational Summary, State The Idea, Explains How It Works and Share the Benefits.
- Vassar CollegeAssistant Director Admissions, 1980 - 1981Traveled across America interviewing perspective college students and pitching Vassar.
- Scenttrail Marketing (current)
- Martin Marty Smith on Scoopit (current)
- ScentTrail on Technorati (current)
- Linchpin SEO Guest Blogger (current)
- Atlantic BT Blog (current)
- AtlanticBT.com Website (current)
- Martin Marty Smith on Facebook (current)
- Martin Marty Smith Wordpress Blog (current)
- ScentTrail on WordPress (current)
- ScentTrail on Twitter (current)
- Story of Cancer on Twitter (current)
- Slideshare (current)
- Pinterest/ScentTrail (current)
- Story of Cancer Store (current)
- Google Plus (current)
- Martin's Ride To Cure Cancer (current)
- Delicious/ScentTrail (current)
- StumbleUpon/ScentTrail (current)
- Stoify/ScentTrail (current)
- ScentTrail/Deviant Art (current)
- New Media Leaders (current)
- Scoop.it/Curation Revolution (current)
- Scoop.it/ Design Revolution (current)
- Scoop.it/BI Revolution (current)
- Scoop.it/Marketing Revolution (current)
- Scoop.it/Ecommerce Revolution (current)
- Scoop.it/Startup Heroes (current)
- Scoop.it/Social Marketing Revolution (current)
- Scoop.it/Contests and Games Revolution (current)
- Raleigh News and Observer (current)
- Curatti (current)
- Scoopit (current)
Does Blogging Matter? Yes And Content Curation ...
Blogging & Content Curation Does Blogging Matter looks at the dissonance between the way we create content (bell curve) and the way content
How To Make Buffer's Social Failure Your Succes...
Buffer's Social "Failure" = Your Success Make Buffer's Social Failure Your success with lessons from three great web marketing books includi
X + Smartphone = Cool: Smart Bike Startup Yunma...
Yunmake, a Hangzhou-based smart bike maker, has raised a Series A led by Shunwei Capital, the investment firm led by Xiaomi chief executive
Brilliant Quiet Twitter Lists Prospecting Idea ...
Brilliant Twitter Lists Idea I'm blessed with brilliant friends. Earlier I shared my friend and Startup Factory founder Chris Heivly's new b
20 Best Video Game Websites In The World via @w...
Learning From Video Game Designers Video game designers can teach you a lot about how to great great ecommerce and B2B websites. Video games
How to Sell Online Without A Huge Following | B...
Everything you need to know before you can start to sell digital products online even without a large following.
Best Headphones - Headphone HiFi Blog by Moon Audio
Best Headphones “Best” is a tricky word when it comes to headphones. What is “best” for you and your music may stink for someone else. Resis
Need Better Headphones or Better Email Marketin...
Newsletter Best Practices Moon-Audio.com demonstrates some of our favorite email marketing techniques with their Better Music Event email su
How Snapchat Is Changing Social Media Marketing...
Snapchat and Wickr are tearing up the social marketing playbook. While it's no news that social media use has become fractured, a new Pew Re
Scoopit Republishing Study With SpyFu SEO Analy...
SOne of the Lean Content best practices we’ve seen several speakers at our meetups recommend is to leverage existing audiences on top of you
Truth About Guest Posting & SEO Is A Must Read!...
In the past few months, I’ve written posts for sites like TechCrunch, Kissmetrics, and HubSpot. Collectively, these have garnered over 5,000
SEO, Canonical URLs, Rel=Canonical & Meaning of...
Canonical URLs Explained The Yoast post provides an easy way to understand why rel=canonical is a powerful new SEO tag. Yoast has a dog in t
Design Is A Search For Form: Objectified film b...
Objectified Primer In Product Development & Design If you want to make stuff sit down this weekend and watch Gary Hustwit's Objectified. Hus
Scoopit Makes Content Curation & Content Market...
Why You Must Curate Content Scoop.it is a great tool we've used for years. We finally had a chance to use the easy to use and understand fee
Why You Need A Website MacGuffin - Curagami | D...
Website MacGuffins are ideas such as Free Shipping whose absence hurts more than their presence helps. What are your website's MacGuffins?
Solid Magento SEO Default Tips via @B2Community...
Magento is a great system for building e-commerce websites; it’s not bad for marketing them either. Out of the box there are no truly bad de