Shared publicly  - 
On Saturday evening I stumbled upon a small bug in #Qt 4.8 causing #Kwin to no longer compile. After adding a workaround to my sources I decided to do it properly and tried to get it fixed upstream. After checking that my git checkout is really, really up to date I realized that reporting a bug will be more work than fixing it myself and bears the chance that nobody cares.

Now I had not been a Qt contributor before, so I had to register to the bugtracker, log in to Gerrit, add the remote, push my topic branch which altogether from "wanting to fix" to "have the fix as review" took just half an hour.

Less than 24 hours later my change had been approved and verified by the CI and pushed into 4.8.

I must say a very pleasant experience for a first interaction with the +Qt Project as a developer. Kudos especially for the good documentation on how to use Gerrit.
Mark Gaiser's profile photoQt's profile photoLombardo Arizmendi's profile photoSergio Ahumada's profile photo
It helped that it was Sunday, a slow day, so the #qt-gerrit IRC channel was readable. I saw your contribution come in immediately.
Gerrit is really nice piece of software. I'm using it to post Android patches.
A great benefit in opening Qt to public development though, even if +Thiago Macieira had it easier to check because it was sunday (working on sunday? paid to work on sunday? You know, make your hobby your job, and you ain't got a hobby any longer :D).

Contributions back are always more valuable to the Qt developers around the world than working around the problem. So thanks Martin you decided to contribute back to Qt - even though I don't know what you worked around and it's very likely that the bug does not hit me as a person ;-). A skilled developer as you providing fixes (or a fix) is a great thing to the Qt community.
+Georg Grabler: unless you're running Qt 4.8 from the repository, you wouldn't be affected by it. The bug never got released -- it was a simple backport from Qt 5 and Martin caught the issue before we released.
So you're now also fixing up Qt. Take that along with your awesome work in KDE and the very good articles on using bugzilla.. You're doing a very good job!
Add a comment...