The Reading Monster
The beginning of this year, I set out to read at least 50 books.
I've just finished my 71st book in 2013 and can say it's been an experience.
(tracked via Goodreads.com)
Reading both non-fiction and fiction has improved my life :
- It made me more eloquent.
- It made more more empathic.
- Increased my communication skills with clients.
- improved my overall writing and creative thinking abilities
If you want to level up in your life, I challenge you to read more. I know quality is vital, but saying you're going to read some quality books is not the same as saying "I'm going to read 50 books this year." Specificity packs more punch.
If you want to jumpstart your reading, here are my 3 tips :
- Read every day, even if it's just for 10-20 mins. The momentum is everything.
- Read widely. I read marketing blogs, sci-fi, non-fiction about psychology and writing, poetry, screenplays and lyrics for pop-songs.
The more diverse your reading, the greater your improvement.
- set yourself targets. Mine was 50 books this year, your milage may vary.
But no matter which target goal you pick, be specific.