thats the kind of woman which get jobs because thats the kind of person they like to work with. So why i'm not sad she got the jobs? Because i don't wan't to work in this environment. I quit corporate because i couldn't take it anymore and i don't wan't any job which is preferably managed by the classic type of woman.
There are enough clients out there which already managed to rethink and they are glad having a strong and female lead designer. Energetic just like all the other guy's. Do not change yourself.
1 good client worth more than 10 bad clients.
- do not complain, if something is wrong, speak up. Very often i get complains, someone is mobbing - someone feels threatened. They asking me for help. I can't help, it has to come from you. Pro - people see you can get things done / Contra: it can look aggressive
- check your contracts. Many woman miss to read them and ask for the position or power the contract is providing. The longer you wait the harder it will be to get it. Pro: you loose less energy making the position yours / Contra: If the contract was a bait - you have to quit (as quick as possible)
- watch your body language, learn it. Woman appear as threat to many colleagues and usually the one with less good skills. Easing the atmosphere doesn't work. Back up strait, ears open and let them know you take them serious - soon they will trust you. Pro: Its a less draining way to get quick into a team / Contra: hard to learn.
- Show your borders, don't discuss your competence. Very common mistake, pointing out why you are in this room, Being in that room means that discussion already happened - you don't have to prove it. Pro: It gives you confidence and saves time / Contra: its very very hard to learn not to try easing the atmosphere and stand on your position.
- get away from office gossip. Men can afford to have it, woman don't. Pro: You gain trust and professionalism / Contra: it means some distance.
- Look for other woman even the one you might don't like, If they are strong. We are so damaged by our society it is very difficult to get this situation right, sometimes in works sometimes don't. Other Woman can help you to relate and reflect. I needed to learn this lesson very intense and it helped. Pro: you go easier on yourself / Contra: Woman in tech are Unicorns.
- never attend dinner always have lunch with colleagues, have social contact. But never go out for dinner. It will save you the time telling him or her this isn't gonna happen.
A little experience in the end, i look very cute, people who meet me first have a "friendly" impression on me because i am friendly. People who read me first have an "unfriendly" impression on me. Both is true. I'm not your friend but i'm nice to you and if you try to screw me you are in trouble. Thats the message.
And thats what i tell younger woman when they ask me.
So as a basic precaution, you probably want to treat airplane tickets like sensitive PII and shred them, not throw them out; but the more fundamental problems about security with airlines are something they have to fix.
It has been a long ride from being just a junior designer hacking open source to being a speaker, active for woman, android and mobile technology. When i saw android back in 2010 it was a bit ugly, a piece of nerd gear but i knew something great will happen and i gave it a lot of love. I cannot count how often i explained in human language what a fragment is and i cannot count how many times i have been grumpy with google.
This is a very personal highlight and i will come to share the finest knowledge i collected in 5 years being an android designer and it will help developers to communicate better. details soon at http://www.bigandroidbbq.com/
This is personal. yumm yum :>
come on, cleanup your schedule and we can gossip about VW :>
- Freelance UI & UX DesignerVisual & UX design, 2011 - presentI’m a senior visual and user experience designer working freelance in Berlin, Munich and remote. I do mobile-, touch-interfaces and i love drawing.
- Adobe SystemsInfluencer Artist & ACP, 2012 - presentFreelance Artist to enchant the world with adobe products :) Get in touch!
- Team RoidizerVisual & UX design, 2011 - 2012
- Kud.am GmbH / Sixt AGVisualdesigner, 2009 - 2011
- FreelancerFrontend Developer & Visualdesigner, 2006 - 2009
Marie was one of the first freelance designers for android, back in 2010. With her unique specialty she spoke at several conferences such as Mobile design Meetup Oslo, DevFest Istanbul, Campus London, UXcamp Europe from 2011 until now. As senior mobile UX designer, her help influenced huge Tech giants and startups to improve their mobile experience and just recently she hosted a panel for Women in tech in Berlin, Germany.
- Montessori School Munich2000
- International Munich ArtlabArt & Photography, 2004 - 2006