Don't be friendly. For my colleagues i'm easy to love and like. I help them i listen i always design a little more for them. For my g+ followers...not so much (specially for google employees, i'm less worse than you think and still a good UX). And in general my online personality is much more unfriendly. a few day's ago i shared this with other women.
First, friendly people are easy to forget or get over their head. So being forgotten or someone isn't accepting your borders is something you can expect if you are friendly as tiny little woman. Say something with friendly words but being pissed is British. I'm not British i'm a girl and i say what is on my mind. Without the candy i'm not very unfriendly i'm just not very female. And as female person your instinct is to ease the atmosphere a little. In real life thats hard to do. You have to watch your own behavior very close. The problem is, often you are the thread. As woman you are pushed in a corner and your instinct is to be nice and step out of it. This does not work.
- Don't be nice and don't let them push you in the corner.
- being ignored, if i realize i'm ignored i tell them. I tell the person what he did.
- If someone gets over my head i tell them, i say - its not okay i don't want this happen twice.
- if someone is making a comment on your dress, beauty or body related i ask him to stop and never do it again even if he doesn't ment to be rude. Sometimes its just an attempt have something to talk about like the weather.
- If someone touches you i go to my lawyer and write down immediately what happened. be quick.
The last trick is, wear a wedding band. Because if you are cute and small your colleagues feel weird about "liking" you. Which is nothing i would like to experience. I prefer married colleagues and in the best case i know the wife and can make jokes about them :> gnihi. The wedding band is a clear message "i'm not interested". And i assumed other nice colleagues aren't interested. Sadly this wasn't true so i broke a couple of hearts.
I'm an asshole on the internet because my signal has to be much more clear than others. Since i am one i feel much safer. And i'm pretty sure there are a few people out there who stepped on my feed and they will not do it twice.
I say it. I talk about it and i say its not okay for me. I pissed them off i know that. Some people might say my behavior isn't smart. I believe it is because "its not okay for me" is totally smart to do. The "me" transforms it into a very powerful message"