Worst moving/vehicle rental experience of my entire life. I will never rent from U-Haul again and have already recommended to friends/family that they find a better company to deal with.
Here's the list of things that happened:
- Made an online reservation but then found out that it isn't really a reservation it's a "request", which meant that I didn't actually "get" to find out when and where I'd get a truck until the day before. If you want an actual reservation that costs an extra $40 but no one mentioned that until it was too late to actually make one.
- When I finally found out that I was going to get a truck, it was all the way across the city, and it wasn't going to be available until 4:30pm. The fact that I was moving, had to be out of my apartment by noon, and had made my "reservation" 5 weeks earlier, didn't seem to make a difference.
- When I called to request for an earlier time, I was told that in the entire Lower Mainland of BC there were only 2 one-way vehicles and that I was lucky to even get one of those.
- When I asked to speak to a manager as I didn't think I was "lucky" since I was paying for the service, the manager told me that my choices were to take it or leave it and again he told me I was lucky that he even found me a truck in the first place. He was totally dismissive the entire time, when I asked to speak to his boss, I was told that as far as I was concerned he was the CEO.
- Finally went out, all the way across the city to get the truck, to find out it wasn't actually there and had been returned in an entirely different city. After about 20 minutes of waiting while your employees met behind closed doors, I was told I better hurry because they found me a truck but it was in North Vancouver, on the other side of the city and across the bridge.
- All this time the movers I had hired through your website were waiting for me to return with the truck. Of course I was paying for their time as well.
- All of this meant that by the time I got the truck loaded and we made it to our destination, there was no time to unload the truck. So I had to call the movers I had hired to help me unload, and reschedule with them.
- Everything you guys did, or actually didn't do, added to the stress of my move. You did nothing to make it easier on me nor did it appear at anypoint any one even tried.
To be told I was lucky to get to have a vehicle, when I was paying for the service, like you were doing me a favour. To having a "2-tier reservation" service. To refusing to specify time/location of pick-up (don't tell me after all of the years you've been in business you can't make reasonable guesses to availability, or manage your fleet in such a way that vehicles are available). To being jerked around right up until the very last second.
NEVER, EVER, AGAIN UHAUL. There are plenty of companies in your business, so going forward I'll find somewhere else to spend my money.