Established in 1922 as a humble technical school, Makerere University is one of the oldest and most prestigious Universities in Africa. In January of that year, the school, which was later renamed Uganda Technical College, opened its doors to 14 day students who began studying Carpentry, Building and Mechanics.
The College soon began offering various other courses in Medical Care, Agriculture , Veterinary Sciences and Teacher Training. It expanded over the years to become a Center for Higher Education in East Africa in 1935. In 1937, the College started developing into an institution of higher education, offering post-school certificate courses.
Makerere University (MAK) is still ranked among the best Universities in Africa. It is now a Collegiate University consisting of nine Colleges and one School:
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES)
- College of Business and Management Sciences (CoBAMS)
- College of Computing and Information Sciences (CoCIS)
- College of Engineering Design Art and Technology (CEDAT)
- College of Education and External Studies (CEES)
- College of Health Sciences (CHS)
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHUSS)
- College of Natural Sciences (CoNAS)
- College of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Resources and Bio-Security (CoVAB) and
- School of Law
33 Edge Road Public Relations Office Makerere University