big congrats to instagram
38 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 15 previous comments
- Seems to me that FB had to buy it because it gives them something of the functionality for iPhones that Google+ integration has given to all Android phones - a relatively seamless photo sharing environment.Apr 10, 2012
- Stalking? No. Amused at the wording of his post and commenting, that's all. Perhaps the other "stalkers" don't like the low hanging fruit this post represents. It is a little self-centered, and it kind of reads like he had something to do with their success because he didn't post an article a long time ago. He wields so much power. HA! The post should have simply said "Congrats to the Instagram team for becoming rich". It's one of the things most of us love about MG. Oh nice job spouting off the download count. Just because you download something, doesn't mean you use something. Hopefully FB will be able to turn those downloads into dollars, because Instagram sure didn't. When I start seeing funny (read: crappy) filtered pictures all over my FB / G+ streams, then perhaps my position will change that people on Android are actively engaging. Most of the blogs / comments I read are saying "whatever". I agree with them. The fact remains, if you take the social out of Instagram, there are better apps out there for filters on Android, and there are great built-in sharing options to Facebook/Twitter/G+/Dropbox/Foursquare/etc.
I agree. Many of us stated earlier that the reason Instagram became so popular on iOS devices was because of the sharing. Android, as we all know, doesn't have that problem. So a billion dollars to solve an iPhone sharing / integration problem? Do you think that's a sane valuation of this company? (BTW: love your offices in Sebastopol. I used to do some consulting for your camera bag tenants and have been there a few times)Apr 10, 2012
- Wait, what? What problem does iOS have with "sharing" that the Android does not have? These days there is built-in Twitter integration, and even before that you could integrate with whatever service you wanted. Does ICS have something like G+ integrated?
As for downloaded versus used, are we going to dig up the old iPhones sold versus Android phones shipped thing again? It's a classic.Apr 10, 2012
- What is Instagram? An easy way to share photos. It was sold / marketed as a way to easily share your photos on iOS. Now, why would you need an easy way? Isn't there one already? Built-in Twitter Integration? Whoa! Color me impressed! The point is we didn't need (or come to) rely on some hipster social network to share our photos, because we were able to share with all kinds of services out of the box (and do it ... easily).
To the second part: Huh? You clearly misunderstood the point. I have no idea what you're talking about regarding old iPhones. We're talking about Instagram here. Many people downloaded it out of curiosity to see what all the fuss was about. Some people downloaded it just to piss off iPhone users and "muddy" their stream. You couldn't break wind in any direction last week without some service / news outlet pimping it to high heaven (which is being continued by the FB purchase). That said, yes, people are downloading it, but look at this thread as an example - people are uninstalling it, they are not impressed by it, and many just don't see what the fuss is. Some people are uninstalling it merely because FB bought it. Congrats to the team. They did a lot with very little (http://www.webmonkey.com/2012/04/behind-the-scenes-at-instagram-tools-for-building-reliable-web-services/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29).Apr 10, 2012
- , what are you on about? Intents are for "sharing" between applications on a device, not sharing between people on the internet like Instagram's sharing means. Extremely apples and oranges.
That said, all iOS applications can register for what content types they can handle, though the limited screen estate makes that less helpful when too many apps handle some types, like a bazillion PDF readers.Apr 11, 2012
- ooo now''Apr 21, 2012