The Food and Drug Administration is warning that a sweetener called Xylitol, which can be found in many sugar free gums, is poisonous to dogs. Although humans may consume this sweetener without issue, it has been found that it can potentially be fatal to your canine companions, and dog owners should be extra vigilant when it comes to this ingredient.
If a dog ingests the artificial sweetener, it can cause a spike of insulin to be released from its pancreas, making the dog’s blood sugar plummet to sometimes fatal levels. Symptoms that your dog is having a reaction to the sweetener include fatigue, vomiting, staggering, collapsing, and seizures. If you suspect your dog has ingested Xylitol, take him or her to the vet right away, as it is potentially a life-threatening emergency.
The number of instances of poisoning from the ingredient has risen over 3000 percent int he past decade, mostly because Xylitol is now present in many more foods and non-food items. Although it is most commonly found in chewing gum, it can also be present in items like toothpastes and peanut butter.