Conventional wisdom says naming the first number means you lose, but many interviewers won't even talk to you without telling them your salary requirements or current pay. So how do you beat the system? Here's how:
50 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 8 previous comments
- In the US, for senior or technical positions especially, the "Job Application" form is often one of the very last steps in the process. And I suspect it is almost ritualistic at this point.Nov 20, 2012
- , then I need to get on someones radar in about 7 months.Nov 20, 2012
- I wonder what a good range to give would be. Is 10k about right? Is 20k too broad?
- those deflecting responses in your linked article sound dangerous to me. I don't think I'd have the balls to use them.Nov 20, 2012
- Personally I have been saying "I made $X at my last position, I have improved my skills in this way and that way and think I should be worth Y% more now. So I am looking for $Z."Nov 20, 2012
- Here is a great example of the type of position that I get contacted for:
I have an job opportunity for a Position Application Tester @ Boston, MA
Here is the job description, Please go through it. Kindly show your interest by replying to this Email with your updated resume and can call me on my number 214-269-1511*417 for discussion
Title: Application Tester
Test Automation (L3)
Should be capable to understand the underlying technology on the various automation tools.
Should be capable to evaluate the best tool to the client.
Should be capable to create the required automation framework to the client.
Web Testing (L2)
Should have good knowledge & concepts of UI validations, GUI features etc.
Concepts of Globalization and Localization testing will be an added advantage
Application Testing (L3)
Should be able to differentiate the different testing phases like Unit Integration, System, Acceptance, Regression testing and should be capable to perform these tests with the help of ready-test cases.
Should understand Test Plans, Requirement Trace ability Matrix, Orthogonal Array Tool.
Should be able to do metrics analysis and reliability analysis effectively with DFA tool
Should be able to understand , analyze the business requirements at a higher level.
Prepare overall High level 'Test Plan and Test Strategy' for entire SOATesting
Able to prepare 'Requirements Traceability Matrix'.
Ability to analyze test results, Defect Management.
Ability to prepare various 'Test Reports' and 'Test Metrics'.
SQL Constructs Ablility to understand and implement Data Types, Basic SQL SELECT Statements, Restricting and Sorting Data, System Functions, Joins, Sub-Queries, Creating & Managing DB Objects, Manipulating Data (DML), Constraints, Views.
SQL Query Tuning Basics: Understanding of concepts like Tuning Methodology, SQL Statement Processing, SHOWPLAN, Introduction to the Optimizer, Indexes and Basic Access Methods, Gathering Statistics, Optimizer Hints, Monitoring queries, Optimizing queries.
AdvSQL: COMPUTE Clause, Advanced INSERT, Transact-SQL conditions and expressions, Dealing with collation sequences, Using scalar and aggregate functions, Multiple Table Queries Tools Level 1 usage
Should be proficient in messaging and ESB Concepts Should know the Roles and Benefits of ESB in SOA
Having understanding on capabilities of ESB Should have understanding on ESB Protocol, ESB connectivity and ESB standards Should have understanding on Quality of service, patterns and scenarios using ESB and Messaging Capable of code and deploy ESB and messaging applications"
Duration: 6 Months
In order to submit your profile to the client xxxx,
The following details are mandatory.
Please fill them and send me along with your updated copy of resume.
I am about 90% sure that this is a manual test position, but it could just be a really lousy semi automated job description for the type of work I do.
I could talk to this recruiter, find that I have all those checkboxes on my resume, then get sent to a client HR person who will check the same boxes, then get a Technical Interview where I discover what the job actually is.
Or the initial screener could reveal to me that this is a $20,000 to $40,000 salaried position and we could both save a lot of time.Nov 20, 2012
- I'm on the same page as you. I design software for things such as help desks, call centers, etc. Unfortunately, that means I get contacted for jobs answering calls. I use the same tactic, although I'm usually more sarcastic. I simply ask them to take their hourly rate and slap a 2 in front of it, and then I'll consider it.Nov 20, 2012