I study the social behavior of leaderless honeybee workgroups (i.e., colonies), to help make sense of human group behavior.
With 50,000 honeybees spending all winter trapped by the cold inside a totally dark hive, they still manage to cooperate in performing various functions of housekeeping, queen-tending, food management, temperature control, and intruder-protection. Yet, they accomplish all that cooperation and harmonious work without any one in control authority, no communications infrastructure, no bylaws or laws, no court system to punish misbehavior, no congressbees to get paid by special interests to set rules.
So I got into beekeeping after observing decades of leadership/management troubles at dozens of universities and large corporations, while hearing that the lowly honeybee is capable of organizing, cooperating, co-existing peacefully, and accomplishing great collective productivity without laws, police, anyone in charge, nor infrastructures.
And, I can say confidently now, that I understand much better our human weaknesses that foretell organizational failure, after studying the social life of honeybee colonies. It is a fascinating perspective, with great lessons in cooperation without leaders.
Read more here --> http://goo.gl/PhB234
and here http://goo.gl/X05pQX
#leezbz #eusocial #honeybee #leadershipskills
- Commercial PhotographyAdvertising Photography, presentCommercial effects photographer, such as online interactive 3-D business-interior virtual tours, i.e., "Like actually being there."
- Texas Tech UniversityProfessor and researcher
- BearingPointSenior Manager, Strategic Planning
- Nevada State University SystemVice Chancellor, Technology
- University of WisconsinVice President
- Arizona State UniversityVice President
- Univ of NebraskaProfessor
- Southern Methodist UniversityVice President
I worked many happy years with university Boards of Regents (TX, AZ, WI) and had a wonderfully long career as professor of physics, computer science and engineering. For the next eight years I had a real estate business. After moving to Washington state in 2013, I founded a commercial photography company, Northwest Business Photography, in affiliation with Google. We help realtors and local businesses offer interactive online tours of indoor spaces using Google's Street View technologies. We also hold an FAA certification to -legally- provide aerial photography of neighborhood amenities and shopping centers as well as individual buildings and land parcels.
In daily personal life, I am a husband, grandfather, beekeeper and honeybee social scientist, community volunteer in the Snohomish area, owner/trainer of pack goats, tinkering engineer/scientist, vermiculture gardener and adventure photographer.
- University of Nebraska–LincolnPh.D.
- Missouri State Univ.B.S., Mathematics
- Missouri State Univ.M.S., Physics
- University of Nebraska–LincolnM.S., Computer Science & Statistics
- Missouri State Univ.B.S., Physics