I wonder if Facebook KILLED anyone with their emotion manipulation stunt. At their scale and with depressed people out there, it's possible.
27 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 19 previous comments
- This is the kind of stunt that could be the last straw when it comes to eliminating whatever residual trust exists between users and social media in general.Jun 29, 2014
- thing is, many knowledgeable FB users I know treat it like taxes - they complain about it but never vote with their feet. Is it getting too entrenched for our own good?Jun 29, 2014
- At the end of the day people are still responsible for their own actions so I dont think facebook "killed" anyoneJun 29, 2014
- Your apparently deep background in suicide prevention and situational psychology is truly awe-inspiring.Jun 29, 2014
- Ain't it though?Jun 29, 2014
- Trouble is you can get really tanlged in knots if you don't keep a sense of perspective with big numbers. With a large-enough reach, and sufficiently robust studies, you could demonstrably cause a countable number of suicides while testing the right shade of blue to use in your stylesheet. At some point, you have to accept that putting soft-padding on the entire universe isn't the right way to prevent pain and suffering.
Here's another thought experiment: should Facebook be allowed to search for warning symptoms in your posts/browsing habits, and alert the Samaritans / local welfare organisations to pay you a visit (or just show you more happy kitten videos)? Arguably that could save thousands of lives (38000 deaths by suicide in the US in 2010).Jun 30, 2014