SO... I just decided to nuke it all and start over. I bought a used Qnap NAS and another hard drive for my server. Installed mergerfs and snapraid on my server, and moved to Ubuntu Mate 16.04. The reconfig was a bit of a beast and I'd love to be able to dummy proof myself more in the future.
Do any of you guys have experience running these application in Docker containers that you can backup and just pull back down and reinstall in the future? If so, what are the pros/cons of moving to Docker for all my media applications?
I have never really don't a lot of backing up but considering the configuration that has to be created and fstab entries for mergerfs and snapraid I really want to get some full backups scheduled. I'm wanting to do daily snapshots, weekly backups, and monthly backups (that will be compressed every month). I'm moving ahead with rsync and have been doing some reading. Right now I'm running with
$rsync -avz--progress --exclude-from=excludes.txt / /mnt/nas/rsync
where i'm telling it to exclude /mnt (where all my mass storage is mounted), and /home/user/parity (my snapraid parity drive)
Do you guys have any recommendations about other things I might not want to sync?
Also, I hate to say it, but the upgrade to Android 7 exponentially increased my criticisms of Android auto. They are working hard to make it almost impossible to use you phone when connected, and currently, Android Auto just doesn't work very well. There are so many functions missing that it feels like someone there it together on a weekend and hasn't looked at it yet.
Like the fact that I have had my unit for over a year and a half and not a single new piece of functionality has been introduced. The only changes has been in the fact that the longer I have used it the more poorly my phone performs.
But, in Android 7 they have completely removed the ability for you to quickly access your phone's OS while plugged into Android Auto. I understand why this was done, but what I don't understand is why they would do this with a system that is still so bug ridden. Really frustrating.
PLEASE READ: If you are going to add me to your circles and want me to add you back, please have a picture of yourself as your profile picture and some information about you in your profile. I hope that's not asking too much.
I am a normal guy living my life in love with my college sweetheart and wife, Hannah. We have two awesome dogs, Brody Bear and Cocha. Check out my photos to see them.
I am bound to my GOD by the sin He saved me from, and no amount of generosity or philanthropy will free my from dependence on His grace. That is my blessing.
Stuff I'm into:
- Boutique Fine Wine (primarily French, German & Spanish)
- Craft Beer (I like balanced beer. Not a huge fan of over malted stouts or over hoppy IPAs. Life is about balance and moderation and my taste in beer is similar)
- Whisky - as a general rule I try to keep my cabinet stocked with one single malt Scotch whisky, one blended Scotch whisky, and one Kentucky Bourbon at all times. They're all fantastic but I just depends what kind of mood I'm in.
- Music - if you want to know the kind of music I'm into just search Google+ for #eclecticcollection. I post stuff pretty regularly under that hashtag.
- The merger of society and technology for the purpose of the enrichment of life in general. In the words of Google CEO, Larry Page, "Technology sould do the hard work, so you can get on and live your life."
"I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night." ~Benjamin Franklin~
- Dallas Baptist UniversityBachelor's of Business Administration, 2003 - 2007
- Abilene Cooper High SchoolGeneral, 1999 - 2003