Not. Gonna. Happen.
13 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
- - Manufacturing complexities and Unions: Apple does computer complexity well, and they are very unlikely to build the cars, they don't make iPhones now... Foxcon does.
- Lack of pure-play automotive expertise: the rumors started becuase of them hiring these people.
-Margins and dealerships: They are not going to sell cars, they are going to compete with uber with self driving cars, because it's like printing money and a nice extention of the cloud ecosystem.
-Not the Apple way: Neither is cloud, maps, or partnering with IBM. All of are now getting stride down
-Jobs was not really a car guy: Jony Ives is a car guy
I don't think they will build cars either, but only because they don't have the balls.Feb 18, 2015
- They still can't get a watch or TV to market, what made anyone think they could handle anything as complex and politically fraught as a car?Feb 18, 2015
- The watch is coming with multiple versions and material types, the timeline makes sense. I think TV is a shitty market, and they're smart to stay out.
Apple has some of the best engineers in the world and I think cars as a service will be a good market in 5-10 years. Also car services like Zipcar and Car2go are simple from a legal prospective.
The only reason I DO NOT think Apple will build a car is that they are risk averse.Feb 18, 2015
I have yet to see one piece of evidence to substantiate the claim that "Apple has some of the best engineers in the world..."
In fact the actual evidence is to the contrary. They have decent designers, but their engineering is consistently lacking. Or can you name one other company that made phones you can't put in your pocket for fear of folding them in half, or that you couldn't hold in your hand without losing signal.
The teardowns of their products by iFixit and others are particularly revealing to anyone with any actual engineering knowledge.Feb 18, 2015
- Feb 20, 2015
- expand why pleaseFeb 4, 2016