Some patterns for fast Python. Know any others?
- Avoid overengineering datastructures. Tuples are better than objects (try namedtuple too though). Prefer simple fields over getter/setter functions.
- Built-in datatypes are your friends. Use more numbers, strings, tuples, lists, sets, dicts. Also check out the collections library, esp. deque.
- Be suspicious of function/method calls; creating a stack frame is expensive.
- Are you sure it's too slow? Profile before optimizing!
- The universal speed-up is rewriting small bits of code in C. Do this only when all else fails.