What are Google+ Collections?
Google+ have launched a new feature they've called Collections. What are Collections? Well they are basically topics for your personal stream.
So you want to put your Google+ posts into categories then Collections does this.
How do I create a collection?
• Head over to the Collections page here: https://plus.google.com/collections
• Click on Create a collection box
• Give your collection a name and select whether you want visibility to be Public or Your circles or Only You or a custom setting
• And click the blue Create collection button
Can I edit my collection?
Sure, on the next screen you have the opportunity to customise your collection by changing the banner image and background colour from the Customise menu or editing or deleting the collection from the settings icon.
The one tip I have on this page is to select Edit collection from the settings menu and choose whether you want all your followers to see your posts in the collection (ticked) or not (unticked). Personally, I have unticked this on most of mine so only people who have specifically selected to follow my collections will see the posts. This allows me to post more but spam less and gives my readers the option to pick what topics they want to follow of mine instead of being forced to follow everything.
How do I share to my collection?
Sharing to your collections is easy and works the same way as before. Select to share as normal but instead of selecting or typing Public, Your Circles, a community or user's name, select or type your collection's name and click on it. Then click Share and you're all done. You can do this from both the desktop and the Android app.
Can I share to more then one collection?
No, you can only share to a single collection.
How do I follow a Collection?
Depending on how the person has set up their Collections, you will either be following their collections already or you''ll need to find their collection and click to follow.
To follow a Collection seek out the person you want to follow and click on *Collections" from their profile page, for example: https://plus.google.com/u/0/+KolTregaskes/collections
From here click on the follow button.
You can also see the full list of collections you follow or from your circles from here:
From here you can select to follow or unfollow any collection.
What else do I need to know?
A few more points:
• You cannot move a share from one collection to another. Instead you will have to remove the share then move to the second collection
• You can reshare from a collection to another collection but this is of course creating a new post, which you might not want
• If you select to delete a collection note that all posts in the collection are also deleted
• You can add any old post into a collection by clicking on the top-right dropdown menu and selecting Move to collection
• You can find featured collections here: https://plus.google.com/collections/featured
• You can see when a post is in a collection when you see the blue collection icon in the far top-right of the post as well as the name of the collection in the far top-left
There is no limit to the amount of collections you can create (that I've found so far anyway ;-)) so get creating and sharing! :-)
Enjoy and share yours and your favourite collections in the comments below! :-)
Where can I find more of your collections and links?
You can find a full list of my collections here:
And plenty more links and info here:
I've also created a collection for Collections, which includes all tips and guides here:
Enjoy collecting! :-)