Kip Winger, the multi-platinum recording artist, may be known best for his success with Winger and his early days as a bass player with Alice Cooper. However the range and scope of his musical journey can be more fully experienced in his solo albums, This Conversation Seems Like A Dream, Songs From The Ocean Floor, From The Moon To The Sun and his most recent composition Ghosts for string orchestra, piano and harp.
In 1995, after his hugely successful run with Winger, Kip built a studio in the hills of Santa Fe, New Mexico and started writing and producing music without limits. "It was incredibly freeing to connect to music without any preconceived ideas about what it needed to be or what niche it needed to fill." It is in Kip's solo work that he has been able to exercise the breadth of his talents as a composer. London's Classic Rock Magazine called him "one of the most gifted composers and arrangers in the rock genre" and praised his "compulsion to experiment."
Over the years, Kip has continued to pursue his interest in composition. He patterned his course of study after the intensive one-on-one relationships favored by many composers. He sought out such masters as Edgar Grana, who holds a Masters from Juilliard and currently teaches composition at the School of Visual Arts in New York City; University of New Mexico Professor of Theory and Composition, Richard Hermann; and Professor Michael Kurek from the Blair School of Music at Vanderbilt University. Professor Kurek has praised him for his "great ear and innate musical sensitivity" resulting in "beautifully crafted phrases and nuance."
Aside from his powerful solo acoustic shows and touring with Winger, Kip was the lead singer for the Alan Parsons Live Project. He has performed or recorded with the likes of Alice Cooper, Mark Farner, Roger Daltrey, Neal Schon and Bob Dylan.
The fifth studio album, KARMA by Winger, was released in October 2009 and made the Top 10 Best Album of the Year for 2009 in virtually every rock website and magazine, as well as having songs from the Album in the Top Ten Songs of 2009.
The Tucson Symphony Orchestra became the first orchestra to perform a C F Kip Winger composition with the world premiere of Ghosts in the MasterWorks Chamber Orchestra Series in the 2009/10 season.
The San Francisco Ballet's debut of Ghosts in February, 2010 featured the collaborative work between world-renowned choreographer Christopher Wheeldon and Winger. The Ballet was such a success, it was brought back for an encore performance in San Francisco Ballet's 2010/2011 Season to high acclaim.
Ghosts Suite No. 1 is now available for download on the Favored Nations Label at Amazon.com. Coming soon to iTunes and other download sites.
Kip Winger Solo Albums
- ThisConversationSeemsLikeADream (1997)
- Down Incognito (1998)
- Songs From The Ocean Floor (2000)
- From The Moon To The Sun (2008)
- Ghosts Suite No. 1 (2010)
- Winger (1988)
- In The Heart Of The Young (1990)
- Pull (1993)
- Very Best Of (2001)
- Winger IV (2006)
- Winger Demo Anthology (2007)
- Seventeen The Demos Autographed Ltd Edition (2007)
- Winger Live (2008)
- Karma (2009)
- Karma Limited Edition Picture Disk (2010)
Blackwood Creek (Kip's first band)
To see his complete discography, which includes other musical contributions, VHS and DVD releases and tribute CD's, please visit his website.
Kip Winger Recognition
- The Tucson Symphony Orchestra performed the world premiere of C.F. Kip Winger's Classical Piece 'Ghosts" in November 2009.
- The SanFrancsisco Ballet, with choreography by Christopher Wheeldon, held the world premiere Ballet performance of "Ghosts' in February 2010 to high acclaim. With its success, The San Francisco Ballet brought it back for an encore
performance in their 2011 Season.
- Kip Winger's piece 'Ghosts' was nominated for an Isadora Duncan Award for Outstanding Achievement and Excellence in Music.
- Kip Winger was presented with an honorary plaque and a historic flag by the United States Government in recognition of his musical composition for his song "Blue Suede Shoes" honoring the service and sacrifice of the United States Armed Forces and their families
- Kip Winger has participated in the world renowned Rock Fantasy Camp for the past several years as Head Counselor and now leads the Master Program. He also appeared on VH1's Pemiere Reality Series of Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp.
For more, please visit Kip's Official Website www.kipwinger.com