#BigData #SQL #NewSQL #NoSQL #RDBMS #GraphDBMS #RDF #SemanticWeb #LinkedData #Benchmark #TPCH #LDBC
Too much of our data is confined to RDBMS data silos. This blog post works through the source and remedy of this problem using different types of identifiers for entity denotation.. [Read Blog Post..]
#LinkedData #NoSQL #NewSQL #R2RML #RDB2RDF #CoRelational #RDF #SPASQL #SQL #ODBC #Oracle
OpenBSD/Theo has been openly critical of the OpenSSL team's development practices. By forking OpenSSL in-house OpenBSD essentially put their money where their mouth is... please donate openbsd project to fund this project. (image via https://plus.google.com/+WendyMichele)
#openssl #heartbleed #openbsd #libressl
This being probably the most notable finding from the final version of the "study of tens of thousands of keywords and more than half a million domains" headed "Schema.org in Google search results" (see the request button at the bottom of the page for the full PDF):
The study authors are quick to note that correlation does not necessarily imply causation, although they correctly acknowledge that there's a logical connection between structured data use and search engine visibility.
"Whether the use of HTML markups does genuinely affect the ranking of a domain, as it would appear from the data, is hard to say. In fact, it may be due in part to interaction with other factors."
"However, it can be said that the inclusion of HTML tags from schema.org to clearly flag up the content of the page will greatly help search engines better understand the Web’s content – and that is an essential consideration for a good ranking."
Other notable factoids from the study:
- Only 0.3% of domains in their sample included schema.org 
- "Google enhances search results with schema.org markups in more than 36% of keyword queries" 
- Movie, Offer, TVSeries and Review were the item types that most often ended up generating rich snippets in the SERPs (compare this to the most common schema.org classes by domain from the lastest Common Crawl data - WebPage, Article, Blog, Product - and most common schema.org classes by no. of entities - Product, Offer, Person, PostalAddress, Organization)
 Making for the best pie chart evah
 I'm interpreting this as "for 36% of our sample queries we observed a rich snippet in the top 50 results [their query depth] that appeared to be based on the presence of schema.org markup." The language of this study leaves a lot to be desired.
#schemaorg #structureddata #google #seo
vocabulary and syntax for seamlessly moving from the vague to the
precise -- and the option of talking about what level of precision
or vagueness we are assuming at any point along the way" -- John F. Sowa
 http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2014-04/msg00214.html -- Formal or functional specifications thread on Ontolog forum .
#NLP #Vocabulary #Language #Ontology #IOTD
- OpenLink SoftwareCEO, 1992 - present
- UnisysTechnical Specialist (DBMS, Unix, 4GLs, Networking), 1990 - 1992
- OpenLink Virtuoso -- a Universal Server for heterogeneous data virtualization, integration, and management (database behind: DBpedia, Linked Open Data cache, Sindice, and may other Linked Open Data Cloud oriented Data Spaces)
- OpenLink Universal Data Access Drivers -- covering high-performance ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET, and OLE-DB drivers for all major DBMS engines
- OpenLink Data Spaces -- powerful platform for Personal Data Spaces (enterprise and InterWeb scales)
- URIBurner -- a powerful data generation and virtualization service for turning Web 1.0 and 2.0 data into Web 3.0 oriented structured Linked Data
- OpenLink Data Explorer -- powerful browser extensions (all major browsers) and bookmarklets for exploring the Web's Linked Data Space dimension.
Forcing cancer cells to devour themselves by blocking a protein signal |...
Cancer cell death by autophagy (Credit: Cell Reports) Under stress from chemotherapy or radiation, some cancer cells dodge death by autophag
Ars buys bitcoins at one of the country’s only Bitcoin ATMs
At a train station in Boston, a Bitcoin ATM has attracted hundreds of users.
Move over, small-time Bitcoin exchange startups—Wall Street has arrived
Gentlemen, start your trading bots. Things are about to get crazy.
What Oracle's Botched Obamacare Site Says About the Future of the Web | ...
It's bad enough that the state of Oregon has paid software giant Oracle over $100 million to build a healthcare exchange site that doesn't w
Details about Apple SSL vulnerability and iOS 7.0.6 patch | CrowdStrike
On February 21st, 2014 Apple pushed out an emergency SSL security update for iOS (7.0.6).
Bitcoin security model: trust by computation - O'Reilly Radar
Bitcoin is a distributed consensus network that maintains a secure and trusted distributed ledger through a process called proof-of-work. Bi
A UK Surgeon Successfully 3D Printed And Implanted A Pelvis
A British surgeon successfully implanted a 3-D...
The Next Microsoft CEO And Lessons From Indians in Silicon Valley
When Vijay Vashee joined Microsoft in 1982 he was just one of two Indians at the 160-person company. It added several more recruits from Ind
If You Used This Secure Webmail Site, the FBI Has Your Inbox | Threat Le...
Photo: Peter Earl McCollough/WIRED While investigating a hosting company known for sheltering child porn last year the FBI incidentally seiz
14 African Countries Forced by France to Pay Colonial Tax For the Benefi...
Did you know many African countries continue to pay colonial tax to France since their independence till today! When Sékou Touré of Guinea d
Cryptography experts pen open letter against NSA surveillance
The pressure on the US government to reform the NSA’s surveillance programs is growing. Apple, Google, and Microsoft all called for change l
Aaron Swartz Explains Why The NSA Needs To Be Stopped | Techdirt
Last week, when we wrote about the big "day of action" against the NSA in memory of Aaron Swartz, to be held February 11th, a few folks ques
U.S. Political News, Opinion and Analysis - HuffPost Politics
Follow American politics, keep up with the hottest political debates, and share your thoughts and opinions on the political news that matter