The Moon is tidally locked to Earth, forever hiding one of its faces from those of us kicking it planetside. Owing to a phenomenon known as libration, it's actually possible to spot as much as 59% of the Moon's surface. But the remaining 41% – the so-called "far side," was for many years a complete mystery. But this video, created from images returned by NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, offers us an entirely different view of the Moon – one that brings its enigmatic far-side into clear (and, contrary to its "dark-side" misnomer, clearly illuminated) view: Rotating Moon from LRO
The time-lapse video starts with the standard Earth view of the Moon. Quickly, though, Mare Orientale, a large crater with a dark center that is difficult to see from the Earth, rotates into view just below the equator. From an entire lunar month condensed into 24 seconds, the video clearly shows that the Earth side of the Moon contains an abundance of dark lunar maria, while the lunar far side is dominated by bright lunar highlands. Two new missions are scheduled to begin exploring the Moon within the year, the first of which is NASA's Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer (LADEE). LADEE, which launched just over a week ago, is scheduled to begin orbiting the Moon in October and will explore the thin and unusual atmosphere of the Moon. In a few months, the Chinese Chang'e 3 is scheduled to launch, a mission that includes a soft lander that will dispatch a robotic rover.
Text & pic from:
#astronomy #space #sciencesunday
- Me myselfWeb Developer, Musician, present
The Hair Thieves - Shropshire based duo playing an eclectic mix of ambie...
Bridgnorth Music Festival 2012 by Tracy Breeze. "Break The Casino" from EP1 performed at Gabrielle's Wine bar in Bridgnorth. Shorewards (EP2
Bridgnorth Music and Arts Festival Venues - Google Maps
View maps and find local businesses on the web.
YouTube - Afghanistan, 'feminist' Saudi Arabia and how we stopped them b...
Create AccountSign In. Home. BrowseFilmsUpload. Hey there, this is not a commercial interruption. You're using an outdated browser, whic
Mashable: Are They Lying for Links? | Media Tapper
My personal opinion on Mashable is quickly becoming that they, on a regular basis, massage their content, mislead with their content, or kno