If you were wondering why the tap water in the bay area smells like spent fireworks lately...
5 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
- Given recent events, I'm not given to trust declarations that "no, really, the weird smelling/tasting water is safe to drink, we swear!" Glad my normal routine doesn't involve me drinking tap water.4w
- - I'm no expert but the geosmin explanation looks legit from what I can tell. The smell certainly isn't lead.
The Hetch Hetchy water, on the other hand, tasted better than most bottled water, and was probably cleaner too. So when they switch back I do recommend tap water. :)4w
- I normally have no qualms about tap water. I just prefer something with some flavor.4w
- I live in MV, south of Central. Friends live North of it. We often wondered why my water smells a bit of fish, but not theirs. After touring the the Santa Clara water recycling plant (do it), we learned the reason: Mountain View is split in its water sources. North of Central gets Hetch-Hetchy water, South gets... some other source I can't remember.4w
- And very tangential: I recommend the fantasy book Two Serpents Rise, which is about accounting, magic, and water utilities.4w