"‘We’ve got to get the story straight’ said Noah. ‘How can we say, “And God spake unto Noah and told him to build an ocean-going ark from fibre-glass with a reinforced steel hull’? It reads like an enthusiast’s magazine, not the inspired word of God. Gopher wood is much more poetic’"
"We met at the New York in STEM networking event. Something that you said really resonated with me. You said always say yes. Well I have been doing that. This weekend I was on a panel with Physicist Deborah Berebichez, cognitive neuroscientist Heather Berlin, biochemist Jeanne Garbarino, magician Jamy Ian Swiss, “I F**** Love Science” Elise Andrew, Bio Bus molecular biolologist Latasha Wright, and NASA Astronaut Cady Colman. Thanks for inspiring me."
Blow me #brogrammer
Solution to this conundrum? #adopttheillusionist As Elena notes, it only takes ONE person.
- CuurioCMO, 2014 - presentI am the CMO at Cuurio. Cuurio helps brands find clarity, context, and connections in emerging technology. Cuurio's index of startups provides strategic intelligence that clarifies and contextualizes opportunities for native advertising and partnerships that advance brand goals.
- Hoey McManusFounder, 2013 - presentHoey McManus is a boutique consultancy escalating women executives and leaders, through the power of the media. Built on a vast network of relationships in media, PR and business, Hoey McManus is uniquely positioned to enhance opportunities and expand the thought-leadership of their clients globally. The founders have extensive media connections with over 250 news organizations globally and have worked with executives, corporations, and organizations including: Bloomberg CNN Cision TBS, Inc. Edelman Georgia Institute of Technology BNY Mellon Wells Fargo Ketchum Hive Marketing KPMG Aflac Vitru The American Lung Association Palantir Hearsay Social Stanford University Booz & Company Skype Brookings Institution Amex Foundation UCLA Duke University Hilton Foundation Best Buy Bertelsmann Foundation Aspen Institute Meridian International Center Vanderbilt University United Nations Foundation Natural Resources Defense Council JP Morgan Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi The Nielsen Company Alix Partners UNICEF Deutsche Bank Securities Morgan Stanley Smith Barney Deloitte
- Glimpse LabsBoard Member, 2013 - presentGlimpse is the ephemeral photo sharing app with state-of-the-art cryptography. Glimpse was founded by CEO Elissa Shevinsky, well known for her work promoting women in tech. From Venture Beat: Glimpse is trying to address a need that’s increasingly relevant to many people: Finding a secure way to communicate. To that end, Glimpse has a cryptography advisory board that includes some of the folks behind encryption pioneer PGP, including Brett Thomas, Gene Hoffman and Bob Cohn. Download Glimpse on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/glimpse-disappearing-chat/id809118767
- Startups & Early Stage Tech CompaniesAdvisor & Advisory Board Member, 2011 - presentI am an active advisory board member for various technology startups including Rchery, BFF http://www.bestfashionfriend.com/ and Levo League http://www.levoleague.com/ I'm on Third Wave Fashion's advisory board and a member of SUNY Levin's Women Entrepreneurs and Investors Advisory Council. I am also a mentor for Omaha, Nebraska based startup accelerator Straight Shot.
- SelfCommunity Manager. Strategist., 2009 - presentI’ve been a business strategist, startup advisor and speaker since 2009. My clients have looked to me as a “chief connections officer, interactive creative director, social networking curator, business relationship strategist & corporate network builder”. I'm a strategic thinker and doer. I see in the world in terms of relationships, networks, ideas and connections. I provide strategic advice, program design, custom workshops and presentations on networking in the social business era - from network building and community engagement to creating social presence and enhancing reputation online. I've advised start-ups, entrepreneurs and executives, AmLaw 200 law firms, Fortune 500 corporations, and professional networking groups. As I've been known to say...."Stop committing random acts of networking and start maximizing the value of your connections." I'm sought out for strategic projects related to - -Community development, management and engagement. -Developing online reputation and raising professional profile. -Realizing the potential of professional networks, including maximizing sponsorships, memberships and participation in professional organizations/conferences. -Integrated engagement strategies to create and/or enhance professional networks. -Connecting relevant opportunities between networks. -Identifying and capitalizing on opportunities within networks. -Strategies to develop tailored, quality connections and meaningful professional relationships.
- Women Innovate MobileFounder, 2011 - presentFounded in 2011, Women Innovate Mobile (WIM) was the first startup accelerator to focus its investment strategy on mobile-first female led startup ventures. From December 2011 to December 2013, in addition to my role as a founder, I was also WIM's executive director and responsible for day-to-day operations connected to launching and running WIM's first accelerator program. Additionally, I lead WIM's marketing, community engagement and partnership activities, including: - building a following of over 88,000 on Google+ with WIM's #womenwhotech interview series, - launching the Meet The Innovators speaker series in New York, Chicago and London in partnership with Apple, - developing WIM's Founder Breakfast networking series - creating editorial content for WIM's website (Female Founder Watch, Mentor In The Room blog series), and building WIM's social media presence (Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest) - developing strategic partnerships to fuel the growth of WIM portfolio companies with companies such as Turnstone, Morgan Stanley, TriNet, American Airlines, Pitchbook, Google, Grind Workspaces, .CO and others.
- 85 BroadsPresident, 2009 - 2010Full-time strategic advisor and thought-partner to 85 Broads and the network's Founder & CEO, Janet Hanson. A mature, yet evolving paid-membership community, I was retained to "lift the hood" in order to focus and develop strategies for future growth of the global business network of executive and professional women.
- White & CaseManager of Global Alumni Programmes, 2008 - 2009The challenge presented by the firm's CMO was to develop, invigorate, relaunch and expand White & Case's global alumni programme. The role required an understanding of "best practice alumni programming", the firm's culture and strategic business initiatives and the profile of the firm's unique global alumni community as well as the ability to innovate in a tough economy and to build alliances across offices and departments. To enhance the firm’s web-based alumni programme, my responsibilities included: - Formulate and execute day-to-day online community management strategies, including the editorial voice, moderation policy, alumni engagement and outreach initiatives. - Management of communications with alumni community on ongoing programs, updates and events. - Promotion of a social and engagement approach within the firm and alumni community, contributing articles, information of interest and other creative content ideas. - Monitor and comment on trends in online community tools. - Monitor other corporate alumni programs and be aware of changes, successful outreach efforts and developments. - Improvement of the collection of alumni data globally and and enhancement of the alumni transition process. - Creation of internal and external alumni communications strategy. The role required a close working relationship with internal stakeholders (CMO, marketing and business development team, the Firm's leadership, practice groups, information systems and the talent development professionals) as well as the alumni community in the development and execution of the alumni relations engagement strategy.
- White & CaseManager of Professional Development (Americas), 2004 - 2008Mandate was to manage all aspects of talent development for associates in the United States. The role focused on the strategic development and implementation of initiatives such as business skills development workshops and leadership and introduced transition executive coaching programs, project management role of upward evaluation process for partners, counsel and senior associates, design of in-house learning and development curriculum, including first-year associate orientation, financial education programs, communication skills curriculum and the management of the annual evaluation and performance review process and year-end bonus and compensation process. This role also included responsibility for the day-to-day management and oversight of the expansion of the firm's global Women’s Initiative and Women's Network as well as being a resource for U.S. offices on Women’s Network programming and networking events. Highlights – Programming & Initiatives: -Design and pilot leadership coaching program. -Develop and implement maternity leave executive coaching program. -Design and conduct internal workshop on business development and client relationship management for associates and counsel. Coach workshop participants on drafting and implementation of personal business plans. -Collaborate with client on the development of an in-house 3-day Mini MBA program. -Develop and implement an in-house Trial Skills Curriculum. -Design agenda and programming for Women’s Network Retreats. -Project management for the global roll-out of Women’s Initiative in 2007. Oversight of consultant and the investigative portion of the study process (focus groups, roundtable discussions and one-on-one interviews). Alongside the consultant, communicated findings and recommendations to the Firm. -Provide information and project leadership on external surveys. Conduct focus groups and follow-up interviews based on survey results.
- Sidley AustinAssociate, 1998 - 2002
- Osler, Hoskin & HarcourtAssociate, 1996 - 1998
- Miller Thomson LLPAssociate, 1991 - 1996
I am the CMO of Cuurio, an index of startups and an ideation platform that connects brands and agencies with emerging technology to create breakthrough partnerships. An angel investor and active in the startup community, I am an accelerator mentor, startup advisor, board member, and thought leader. I have built key platforms for spotlighting innovation and trends with Apple and Google (I curate a monthly panel series "Meet The Innovators" at Apple). In 2011, with Deborah Jackson and Veronika Sonsev, I co-founded Women Innovate Mobile (WIM), the first tech accelerator program for mobile tech startups with gender diverse founding teams (and built an influential global community of founders, investors and women in tech in the process). I’m introduced as a connector and master networker (skills which explain my non-linear career path). I’ve been a strategist, social engagement enthusiast and frequent speaker since 2009.
- University of British ColumbiaLaw, 1988 - 1991
- University of VictoriaPolitical Science & Economics, 1983 - 1987