Startups & Early Stage Tech Companies
Advisor & Board Member, 2011 - present
I advise on a formal basis a select number of early-stage emerging technology companies.
In 2014 I joined the board of directors of the Tampa Bay WaVE accelerator. http://www.tampabaywave.org/ and Juicelabs in Cairo, Egypt http://juicelabs.me/.
In 2014 I assumed an interim operations role as CMO (April to December 2014) with NYC-based startup Cuurio.
I am a mentor for New York City Venture Fellows, Entrepreneurs Roundtable Accelerator and Grand Central Tech in New York City, BuildUP VC in SF and Nebraska based startup accelerator Straight Shot.
I volunteer with the YWCA of NYC's Girls Geek Club // http://www.ywcanyc.org/kelly-hoey/
Speaker & Strategist, 2009 - present
I am a problem solver and I see most problems as one of networks, strength or diversity of connections and access to / visibility within networks.
From the European Commission to Bank of America, MoDev, ArabNet and the PGA, I have been sought out as a speaker for my thought leadership on networking, start-up community building and investing in / by women -- as well as sharing insights on my network-fueled career path.
An experienced moderator and facilitator, I conduct workshops and lead panels on networking; women & entrepreneurship; marketing, visibility & engaging the media; and creativity & innovation. For professionals looking to increase their leadership visibility, I consult on defining and building an expertise-focused brand as well as navigating the business networking and (social) media terrain.
For the latest, visit my website http://www.jkellyhoey.co/ and to discover what else I've got going on (and to work with me), contact Melissa Broadway at The Bright Agency Group // firstname.lastname@example.org.
Women Innovate Mobile
Founder, 2011 - 2014
Founded in 2011, Women Innovate Mobile (WIM) was the first startup accelerator to focus its investment strategy on mobile-first female led startup ventures.
From December 2011 to December 2013, in addition to my role as a founder, I was also WIM's executive director and responsible for day-to-day operations connected to launching and running WIM's first accelerator program.
Additionally, I lead WIM's marketing, community engagement and partnership activities, including:
- building a following of over 88,000 on Google+ with WIM's #womenwhotech interview series,
- launching the Meet The Innovators speaker series in New York, Chicago and London in partnership with Apple,
- developing WIM's Founder Breakfast networking series
- creating editorial content for WIM's website (Female Founder Watch, Mentor In The Room blog series), and building WIM's social media presence (Twitter, Facebook, Linkedin, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest)
- developing strategic partnerships to fuel the growth of WIM portfolio companies with companies such as Turnstone, Morgan Stanley, TriNet, American Airlines, Pitchbook, Google, Grind Workspaces, .CO and others.
President, 2009 - 2010
Full-time strategic advisor and thought-partner to 85 Broads and the network's Founder & CEO, Janet Hanson. A mature, yet evolving paid-membership community, I was retained to "lift the hood" in order to focus and develop strategies for future growth of the global business network of executive and professional women.
White & Case
Manager of Global Alumni Programmes, 2008 - 2009
The challenge presented by the firm's CMO was to develop, invigorate, relaunch and expand White & Case's global alumni programme. The role required an understanding of "best practice alumni programming", the firm's culture and strategic business initiatives and the profile of the firm's unique global alumni community as well as the ability to innovate in a tough economy and to build alliances across offices and departments.
To enhance the firm’s web-based alumni programme, my responsibilities included:
- Formulate and execute day-to-day online community management strategies, including the editorial voice, moderation policy, alumni engagement and outreach initiatives.
- Management of communications with alumni community on ongoing programs, updates and events.
- Promotion of a social and engagement approach within the firm and alumni community, contributing articles, information of interest and other creative content ideas.
- Monitor and comment on trends in online community tools.
- Monitor other corporate alumni programs and be aware of changes, successful outreach efforts and developments.
- Improvement of the collection of alumni data globally and and enhancement of the alumni transition process.
- Creation of internal and external alumni communications strategy.
The role required a close working relationship with internal stakeholders (CMO, marketing and business development team, the Firm's leadership, practice groups, information systems and the talent development professionals) as well as the alumni community in the development and execution of the alumni relations engagement strategy.
White & Case
Manager of Professional Development (Americas), 2004 - 2008
Mandate was to manage all aspects of talent development for associates in the United States. The role focused on the strategic development and implementation of initiatives such as business skills development workshops and leadership and introduced transition executive coaching programs, project management role of upward evaluation process for partners, counsel and senior associates, design of in-house learning and development curriculum, including first-year associate orientation, financial education programs, communication skills curriculum and the management of the annual evaluation and performance review process and year-end bonus and compensation process. This role also included responsibility for the day-to-day management and oversight of the expansion of the firm's global Women’s Initiative and Women's Network as well as being a resource for U.S. offices on Women’s Network programming and networking events.
Highlights – Programming & Initiatives:
-Design and pilot leadership coaching program.
-Develop and implement maternity leave executive coaching program.
-Design and conduct internal workshop on business development and client relationship management for associates and counsel. Coach workshop participants on drafting and implementation of personal business plans.
-Collaborate with client on the development of an in-house 3-day Mini MBA program.
-Develop and implement an in-house Trial Skills Curriculum.
-Design agenda and programming for Women’s Network Retreats.
-Project management for the global roll-out of Women’s Initiative in 2007. Oversight of consultant and the investigative portion of the study process (focus groups, roundtable discussions and one-on-one interviews). Alongside the consultant, communicated findings and recommendations to the Firm.
-Provide information and project leadership on external surveys. Conduct focus groups and follow-up interviews based on survey results.
Associate, 1998 - 2002
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt
Associate, 1996 - 1998
Miller Thomson LLP
Associate, 1991 - 1996