Synthetic DNA advance is hailed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26768445
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United NationsData and Information Integration, 1998 - presentI am currently at the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), a specialised agency of the United Nations, where we are working to improve nutrition, increase agricultural productivity, raise the standard of living in rural populations and contribute to global economic growth. I am transitioning to the new Data and Information Integration Unit but right now I am still leading the Knowledge Information System Services unit, my activities are centred on the development and support of information systems that deliver the FAO’s technical programme. My duties and responsibilities include: • To perform systems requirements and analysis, formulate project proposals, estimate budgets and prepare work plans. • To manage and execute projects following the PRINCE2 methodology. • To coordinate information systems development, quality assurance and roll-out. • To manage the provision of information systems support, operations and maintenance services through Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) procedures. • To provide expert consultancy on all aspects of information systems. • To manage and supervise staff and consultants. I am currently managing a broad portfolio of information system covering a broad cross section of the FAO technical programme and representing a significant proportion of the total. The majority of these systems run at the FAO headquarters, a few are the result of collaborations with other international organizations and secretariats. Several strategic systems are deployed directly in the member countries and regional bodies. The majority of my recent effort is dedicated to managing the http://data.fao.org project. The objective of the project is to establish a reliable, robust, secure and scalable corporate data repository to store, organise, integrate, locate and retrieve interdisciplinary substantive technical data of the organisation. The technical corporate data repository includes application and end user data dissemination and analytical capabilities. data.fao.org is an umbrella project, providing a framework and enterprise technical architecture that enables, underpins and integrates many different initiatives, activities and projects.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United NationsExpert Consultant (freelance), 1994 - 1998Working on the FAO’s World Agricultural Information Centre (WAICENT), which had a goal of consolidating the many diverse information systems for the collection, analysis and dissemination of agricultural data. I designed and implemented modules to calculate derived statistical data and perform statistical analysis for FAOSTAT, a large time-series and cross sectoral global statistical database relating to hunger, food and agriculture. Thereafter I worked on the publication of FAOSTAT data on the World Wide Web (one of the very first FAO dynamic websites). Specifically I developed the back-end processes for the extraction elaboration and presentation in HTML of statistical data in multiple languages.
- Deutsche Bank (Morgan Grenfell & Co.)Expert Consultant (freelance), 1993 - 1994I was part of a small multi-disciplined expert team that supported the front-office currency derivatives trading desk. My role in the team was to design and implement information systems to price derivatives, record trades, monitor positions and perform risk analysis. The systems had to be extremely performant and allowed for the rapid introduction of new exotic and increasingly complex currency derivative products.
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United NationsSystems Development Specialist, 1991 - 1994I worked on a project to consolidate diverse statistical databases and replace mainframe systems focusing on the implementation of the working system used by the data entry clerks. The system was client–server based, with a graphical user interface, employed a relation database and functioned on multiple platforms (Windows 3/VMS/Unix)
- Tecnodata Italia SrlProject Leader, 1990 - 1991I started at Tecnodata as an analyst/programmer working on the development of an information system for the European Space Agency (ESA) to pre-process satellites images. My contribution was the detailed design and implementation of the sub-systems that performed atmospheric correction, automatic geometric registration and resampling. I also developed the innovative graphical user interfaces for the scientific workstations. Thereafter I led a project for ESA to develop software modules for space craft docking system. I managed this project from the preparation of Tecnodata’s bid for the contract through to the consignment and sign-off of the final deliverables. The project was undertaken in cooperation with contractors in France and Germany.
- BT GroupAnalyst/Programmer, 1988 - 1989Working in the Generic Workforce Management group my duties included the analysis, design, planning and implementation of components for a large real-time decision support system that monitored faults on the trunk phone network and exchanges. All work was carried out followed the company’s rigorous in-house quality assurance procedures.
- Cranfield UniversityIntelligent Knowledge Based Systems, 1987 - 1988
- University of LeedsComputational Science, 1984 - 1987
- Llanedeyrn High School1984
DNS - hijacking and circumvention | Thruput | Garbage In, Garbage Out
This post is a logical continuation of my experiences with Chromecast. I am not a movie buff. But I am allergic to others chosing for...
south sudanese child soldiers + refugees now superstars campaign against...
new york city-based photographer mike mellia has captured a series of portraits of south sudanese celebrities, supermodels, and musicians wh
An online Magna Carta: Berners-Lee calls for bill of rights for web
Exclusive: web's inventor warns neutrality under sustained attack from governments and corporations