I'm still looking for the perfect camera backpack. Here are the requirements:
1. Needs a tripod holder
2. Needs room for food/gloves/tissues... maybe a jacket etc.
3. Needs to have a water resistant bottom
4. Needs an external bottle holder
5. No hip straps
6. Sternum strap would be nice, but not a requirement
7. Waterproof exterior would be nice, but not essential
8. Should be wide, but not deep.
9. Clean lines. No gazillion straps and pockets everywhere.
10. Not expensive
I ordered and returned the Timbuk2 sleuth. Other than not having a waterbottle holder, it was extremely uncomfortable. I actually believe there was something wrong with it, since the hard plastic back panel protruded from the bottom and rubbed against my lower back - and that wasn't even with a fully packed backpack!
I had seen the Caselogic Reflexion offerings before, and while I think they have some good looking bags, I was hesitant to order one. However, yesterday I noticed that they have a 20% off sale going on right now, with free shipping (and free returns). So I figured, why not give them a try?
It has a tripod holder, a bottle holder, and room for other items. It unzips in the middle and reveals a camera compartment. The top unzips as well and opens like a doctor's bag. It really looks quite cool. I will review it when I get it.