Shared for free via
- WHO Regional Office for EuropeWeb Manager, 2009 - presentResponsible for strategic direction of the Regional Office's web communications, including the corporate web site and social media. Provide strategic advice to Regional Director's office and technical divisions on web communications. Responsible for compliance with global policies and standards. Management tasks cover work plan development, resource allocation, supervision of day-to-day operations, training and coaching, and performance assessment. Manage staff, interns, volunteers, and consultants, and coordinate with staff dispersed across the region.
- World Health OrganizationWeb Editor in Chief, 2006 - 2009- Manage and coordinate multilingual content production for the WHO corporate site, including the home page; - Supervise on daily basis the content being published in multiple languages on the corporate site, ensuring consistency in messaging and branding; - Manage the day-to-day operations of the editorial team, including direct supervision of two editorial staff; - Coordinate with technical departments, regional and country offices, and editorial staff; - Lead the production of regular web features, including their planning; - Write and edit feature stories and coordinate their translation and production; - Develop and disseminate corporate web editorial standards and policies; - Draft new publishing polices and guidelines for online content applicable across the organization; - Manage and lead important aspects of the web redesign project; - Provide advice and support to web content developers throughout the organization; - Assist the Web Manager in developing and communicating strategies and operational planning for the development of the web site; and - Participate in evaluation and reviews of WHO sub-site content.
- United Nations VolunteersWeb Editor, 2004 - 2006I was responsible for the World Volunteer Web and the UNV corporate web site. In this role, my tasks were to: - Develop and implement a long-term strategy for the two web sites' growth; - Ensure their overall editorial quality, with supervision of editing and review of content; - Plan and execute new designs and structures for the web sites; - Introduce new editorial products and new interactive features; - Coordinate with contributors, online volunteers and discussion forum moderators; - Extend the World Volunteer Web's partnership base; - Supervise two editorial staff and coordinate with other editorial and technical colleagues contributing to the web sites; and - Plan and carry out promotion and outreach activities for both web sites.
- OneWorld InternationalEditor, Digital Opportunity Channel, 2001 - 2003Digital Opportunity Channel is a web site focusing on the use of information and communication technologies (ICTs) for sustainable development. I edited the web site from OneWorld South Asia based in New Delhi, in coordination with my two co-editors in Washington, D.C., and The Hague, technical colleagues in London and other administrative colleagues in New Delhi. I was involved in the development of the Channel since its inception in mid-2001. More specifically, my responsibilities were to: - Conceptualize and implement the web site, including its development, launch and promotion; - Ensure regular content development and content quality; - Coordinate regularly with co-editors & external contributors and partners; - Bring on board stakeholders in the development sector in strategic & editorial collaboration; - Recruit NGOs as members of OneWorld network; and - Represent OneWorld South Asia and the Channel at international forums, including the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS) in December 2003.
- The Times Internet LtdChief Copy Editor, 2000 - 2001My responsibilities were to: - Supervise real-time updating of the online edition; - Select and sort news stories and images, edit them and upload them to the web site; and - Coordinate with reporting bureaus.
- Sahara TelevisionAssociate Producer, 1999 - 2000I was part of the initial team that launched the channel. My responsibilities were to: - Produce news bulletins for the channel, supervising about 20 production staff, and coordinating with reporting, editing, camera, graphics and studio teams; - Manage videotape library and news archives; - Establish a news archives management system; and - Assist in recruitment of junior staff.
- Business India TelevisionAssociate Producer (News), 1994 - 1999I was part of the initial team that launched the channel. My responsibilities were to: - Produce news bulletins for the channel, supervising about 20 production staff, and coordinating with reporting, editing, camera, graphics and studio teams; - Manage videotape library and news archives; - Establish a news archives management system; and - Assist in recruitment of junior staff.
- The Economic TimesChief Copy Editor, 1994 - 1994- Take charge of the satellite edition of the newspaper for Madras (Chennai), publishing the edition on a daily basis; - Perform editorial services, including supervision of page layout and transmission of pages from Delhi to Madras; and - Coordinate with reporting bureaus, editorial teams and the press.
- Down to EarthSenior Copy Editor, 1992 - 1994As part of the team that launched the magazine, my responsibilities were to: - Perform editorial services: rewriting, copyediting, proofreading, writing headlines and intros, designing pages; and - Write articles on science and environment issues as a regional correspondent for eastern India.
- Sunday MailSenior Sub-Editor, 1991 - 1992My responsibilities were to: - Perform editorial services for general and sports desks: rewriting, copyediting, proofreading, writing headlines, and designing pages; and - Write news stories and features on development issues like health, education and environment.
- The Times of IndiaSub-Editor-cum-Reporter, 1989 - 1991Worked on the business and edit page desks as well as the general desk of the Lucknow edition of the newspaper, besides doing news features regularly.
- Sun-TimesSub-Editor, 1988 - 1988I was part of the team that launched the first popular English daily of the state of Orissa, brought out by the Sambad Group.
- SucharitaSub-Editor, 1987 - 1988I edited, rewrote and translated articles, read proofs and designed pages of the Orissa’s most popular family monthly.
- Online/digital/web communication
- Public health
- Leadership and team management
- Non-profit management
- Photography (real work, plus tutorials)
- Mobile technologies
- Journalism, media
- Times School of JournalismSocial Journalism, 1988 - 1989
It's Not About You--and Other Advice for Mastering Social Media in 2014
In an Inc. Live Chat on Thursday, Dave and Carrie Kerpen shared their views on social media today and where it is going.
Remote Work vs. Collaboration: 8 Startups Weigh In
The controversy over Marissa Mayer's decision to ban telecommuting at Yahoo just won't go away. But what about startups? Is remote working r
The Next Web - International technology news, business & culture.
TNW is a consumer tech blog & resource. If it's worth hearing about, you'll hear it from us....first.
Telling Stories with Visual Data: A Glimpse into the Future of Narrative
Balancing heavy subject matter with a clear story and compelling visuals.
WHO/Europe | High blood pressure: serious but often preventable
02-04-2013. High blood pressure – the focus of World Health Day 2013 – is a serious but often preventable medical condition. Diseases of the
5 golden rules for productive digital collaboration
Many have discussed email etiquette, but for the average web worker, the notion of politesse can seem counterproductive. Here, then, are fiv
WHO/Europe | Women and cancer: screening and treatment save lives
One in five women in the European Region will get cancer before the age of 75. A third of cancers are preventable, and common types among wo