- Instituto de Biotecnología UNAMMolecular Biology of Plants, present
- Universidad de GuadalajaraBiology, 2009 - 2014
- prepa 8bachillerato general, 2006 - 2009
- IBtM. Sc student, 2014 - presentPhotosynthesis takes place in the internal membranes of the chloroplast known as tilacoids, and it is also responsible for 2/3 of the primary food production as well as the main source of sugar for plants. Chloroplasts are a kind of plastids characterized by its intricate endomembrane system and the pigment chlorophyll (Jarvis y López-Juez, 2013; López-Juez y Hills, 2011; keeling, 2010; Pyke 2005). Chloroplast development and differentiation depends on the expression first of nuclear and later of plastid genes in response to tissue-specific and environmental signals, it also communicates its physiological and developmental status to the nucleus through a retrograde signaling pathway (Tanaka y Hanaoka 2013; Waters y Langdale 2009; Lepistö et al 2012). These plastids are also involved in the biosynthesis of important metabolites for plant (Staehelin y Newcomb, 2001; Walter et al., 2010) many of which are precursors of signaling molecules, such is the case of carotenes, which are synthesized in different plastids but accumulate mainly in the endomembrane system of chloroplasts. The immediate precursor for carotenoid biosynthesis is geranylgeranyl pyrophosphate (GGPP) supplied directly from the methylerythritol phosphate (MEP) pathway (Howitt y Pogson, 2006; Ruiz-Solá y Rodríguez-Concepción, 2012). Subsequent oxidative excisions of carotenoids originate apocarotenoids, which have important signaling and hormonal functions (Cazzonelli y Pogson, 2010; Walter et al 2010, Walter et al., 2015). This apocarotenoids are synthesized by dioxygenase enzymes such as Carotenoid cleavage dioxygenase (CCDs) but light also plays an important role (Prescott 1996). CCDs are encoded in nuclear genes that constitute a small gene family, subcellular location for most of these enzymes, but CCD1, is in the chloroplast. The role of CCDs in apocarotenoid biosynthesis has been amply studied but CCD4 remains uncharacterized and its importance is not clear yet. Several mutant lines affected in their chloroplast development have been characterized, some of these lines, referred to as CHLOROPLAST BIOGENESIS, are affected in different stages of chloroplast biogenesis and show an albino phenotype. Further characterization of one of these mutants (clb-5-1) in our lab showed that its phenotype is consequence of a mutation in the gene encoding the -carotene desaturase (ZDS) enzyme (Avendaño-Vázquez et al., 2014), they also observed a retarded leaf development and a nearly non-existent chloroplast development, such phenotype is not a consequence of the lack of phytohormones such as ABA or strigolactone, neither is it the result of an over-accumulation of reactive oxygen species but the intermediate pigments phytofluene and -carotene. The phenotype observed in leaves is particularly interesting because they completely lack leaf blade. The double mutant clb5/ccd4 and inhibition of PDS, as in the double mutant pds3/clb5 or by application of the PDS-inhibitor fluoridone, reverts the phenotype suggesting that an hyper-accumulated carotene or apocarotene upstream in the pathway, as a result of loss of ZDS function, might be cleaved by CCD4 thereby generating a signal that inhibits chloroplast and leaf development. With this result in mind it is important to know the pattern of expression of CCD4 and compare it to that observed in other enzymes present in the carotenoid biosynthetic pathway such as ZDS and PDS3. We will use transgenic plants with the constructions pCCD4::CCD4:GFP/GUS, pCCD4::GFP/GUS, pZDS::ZDS:YFP and pPDS3::PDS3:GFP/GUS to study the pattern of expression of CCD4, ZDS and PDS3 genes throughout different stages of plant development. It is also important to analyze the phenotype resulting from the alteration of the endogenous levels of CCD4 by using the constructions 35S::CCD4 and lexA-35S::CCD4 in different genetic backgrounds (ccd4, WT-Col, CLB5-1 heterozygote) and comparing it to that of the ccd4 mutant, we will have a better understanding of the role of CCD4 enzyme in generating a signal involved in chloroplast biogenesis and leaf development. Because standard growing conditions might not show a clear phenotype, we will explore different growing conditions, changing light intensity, temperature and different sources of stress that might reveal hidden phenotypes.
- U de G -LBGEMB. Sc. Student, 2010 - 2013During my years at the UdeG I dedicated most of my research time on studing the Genetic diversity and phylogeny of North American Pines, particularly the Pinus flexilis-Pinus strobiformis-Pinus ayacahuite complex, which are very closely related species distributed from southern USA to southern México.
- Langebiointernship, 2013 - 2013When doing research at Langebio I was maily focused in the study of citokins and auxin hormones and the morphological consequences of altering the endogenous levels of such molecules in different regions of the gynecium in A. thaliana, this was acompished by using the transactivation system pOp>>LhG4.
De los tamales a la óptica aplicada a la biomedicina en Harvard
La clave del éxito está en el trabajo y la perseverancia, aseguró el científico mexicano Juan Pablo Padilla Martínez, quien actualmente se e
Cancún será sede de TEDx: Raíces + Ideas = Identidad
Agencia de noticias del Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología (Conacyt). Información mexicana de los desarrollos científicos y tecnológic
The Story Behind The Levi’s x Stonewall Pride Collection 2015
Levi’s Denim Merchant Thomas Tolerico helped conceptualize the Levi’s 2015 Pride collection, and says the team saw this year’s collection as
Alpha Helix, el buque que investigará los mares de México
Agencia de noticias del Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología (Conacyt).
Updated: The end is nigh for Philae comet lander, but team mulls last-mi...
Rosetta mission scrambles to gather data before batteries expire
Slideshow: Seven types of lightning—from the common to the bizarre
How many of these did you know?
Hasta $99,000 costaban los vinos con los que brindaba Granier
El diario Reforma informó que un reporte de la Secretaría de Finanzas de Tabasco indica que el exgobernador Andrés Granier tenía en la Quint
Fotos: Ladies de la Roma atropellan con Porsche a una mujer
La conductora Dalia Ortega de la Vega atropelló a una señora de 50 años en la colonia Roma la mañana del 9 de mayo y después amenazó a los o
Graco gasta 6 millones de pesos… ¡para remodelar su oficina!
El gobernador de Morelos, Graco Ramírez, gastó del erario 6.6 millones de pesos para remodelar su oficina, según publica el diario Reforma.
Video: Investigación periodística sacude a países del mundo.- Aristegui
El Consorcio Internacional de Periodistas de Investigación, elaboró un informe sobre empresas y personas que invierten en paraísos fiscales;