SILVER Medal + 6 Honorable Mentions - Happy again this year to have won distinctions for all the images and all the categories I've submitted, at the most important fine art photography competition in Europe and one of the first in the world. Submitted series: Urban Saga, Fluid Time, Equivalents & Waving Light.
Many congrats to all the winners, many friends among them! Big congrats also to my students who won this year! You know who you are and I'm so proud of you!
A new photo in my series Equivalents and a new blog post about how to go beyond what you see and use your imagination to create art. You can see both the photo and the article on my site.
More to come soon! Wishing everyone a wonderful weekend!
Shot with 16 stops ND - best ND filters you can find. Processed with and +PS & LR
Shot in London together with Good times!
Honorable Mention in PARIS AWARDS PX3 2015 WHITE Competition.
More details, also about my tutorial about the series in my blog post
Congrats to all the winners!
If you missed the first time I posted it and because I've received quite a few related questions lately, here it is again. My most read blog post ever. Feel free to ask me if you want to know more.
In just a few days starts my 2nd course for the prestigious UK school of photography I'll be teaching an introduction in B&W Fine Art photography using video tutorials and written material.
Book your seat below. It will be my pleasure to see you there.
Paddy Dawson is not only a talented photographer, but a very enthusiastic person and I love her writing style too. Be sure to check out the rest of her blog and her lovely still life photography. http://www.paddyd.co.uk/diary/2015/06/black-and-white-fine-art-photography/ #IloveMyStudents #IloveBWPhotography
As you all know I love teaching B&W photography and I love my students. And what better reward than when they love me back? This fuels my enthusiasm for doing it and makes me want to do everything I can to help them reach their dream in photography. They deserve it because they are great and talented artists. Have a look at the work my students are creating, at their websites, and find out why they love me and why I love them. Thank you guys! I'm so proud of you! Yours truly, photography teacher :)
Working on the routes for my Paris Workshop in June and remembering the first time I shot this city when I was a student. It was a dream come true and from then on, every time I go to Paris I feel the same joy and enthusiasm. I have 2 favorite cities, one is Paris, the other is New York. New York is the most exciting but Paris is the most inspiring and it will always be my soul city. Paris taught me about art when I was a kid and much of my love for art comes from the books I've read about this city when I was a kid and teenager.
That's why, working on a location map for shooting in Paris is one of the most enjoyable things I can think of. If you have a favorite pace to shoot in Paris I would love to know what that is.
A fantastic review of the photography course I teach for prestigious photography school Next class starts on June 6th. See you there! Registrations: http://www.my-photo-school.com/course/black-white-fine-art-photography-beyond/
Discount for From Basics to Fine Art eBook with co-author for those who watched my webinar about how to create black and white architectural photography. Watch the webinar and see more details on my website.
Also another nice surprise there...
Now LIVE on YouTube and Tutorial page. The webinar was sold out a few days after being announced and the attendance was 1000 people. I'm very grateful for the great feedback I received after the webinar and happy to say you can consult it now at the links below. Let me know what you think.
- Architect | Internationally Awarded B&W Fine Art PhotographerArchitect | Fine Art Photographer, presentwww.juliaannagospodarou.com
- PX3 2013 – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - People's Choice Awards - Category Fine Art Architecture PROFESSIONALS – GOLD (1st Prize) for the series “ODE TO BLACK” Series overview http://bit.ly/14YK8yu
- PX3 2013 – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - People's Choice Awards - Category Architecture Advertising PROFESSIONALS – SILVER (2nd Prize) for the series “ODE TO BLACK” Series overview http://bit.ly/14YK8yu
-BLACK & WHITE SPIDER AWARDS 2013 - 3 Nominations – Architecture Category for the images: 1/ Converging, 2/ Hidden, 3/ Like a Harp's Strings I - Overture Details: http://thespiderawards.com/gallery/8th/gallery.php?x=a&cid=221&g=w
- IPA 2013 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - BRONZE (3rd Prize) for the series "LIKE A HARP'S STRINGS - ENCORE" – Category ARCHITECTURE PROFESSIONALS – BRIDGES
- IPA 2013 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - 3 Honorable Mentions for the series "ODE TO BLACK - BLACK HOPE" – Category ARCHITECTURE Professionals– Buildings, Architecture Self Promotion, Architecture Other
- IPA 2013 – INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - 3 Honorable Mentions for the series "CATHARSIS" – Category FINE ART Professionals– Landscape, Fine Art Self Promotion, Fine Art Trees
- PX3 2013 – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS - Category Architecture Advertising PROFESSIONALS – Bronze (Third Prize) for the series “ODE TO BLACK” - http://bit.ly/WtNGEd Series overview http://bit.ly/14YK8yu
- PX3 2013 – PRIX DE LA PHOTOGRAPHIE DE PARIS – Category Fine Art Architecture PROFESSIONALS – Honorable Mention for the series “ODE TO BLACK” - http://bit.ly/WtNGEd Series overview http://bit.ly/14YK8yu
- SWPA 2013 - Sony - WORLD PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - Finalist Top 10 shortlist - Category ARCHITECTURE PROFESSIONALS - for the series "LIKE A HARP'S STRINGS" (The series consists in 6 B&W long exposure photographs of the Katehaki Pedestrian Bridge, Athens, designed by S. Calatrava) - http://bit.ly/YP93Bf
- IPA 2012 - INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - Winner of Honorable Mention for the series "LIKE A HARP'S STRINGS" - Category Architecture - Bridges (The series consists in 5 B&W long exposure photographs of the Katehaki Pedestrian Bridge, Athens, designed by S. Calatrava) :http://goo.gl/zKiGR & http://goo.gl/7GwOS
- IPA 2012 - INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS - Winner of Honorable Mention for the series "A PATH TO THE SKY" Category - Architecture - Buildings (The series consists in 5 B&W long exposure photographs of modern architecture in Athens and Berlin) :http://goo.gl/Clkda & http://goo.gl/j6hLB
Awarded series overview: http://goo.gl/0lZhi
Architect with a Master degree and International Award-Winning B&W Fine Art photographer, with high distinctions in the most important photography competitions worldwide (SWPA, IPA, PX3, IFPA, B&W Spider Awards etc.), Julia lives in Athens, but considers herself a citizen of the world and this molded her art and life philosophy. Julia has an equal passion for architecture and photography practicing both with the same enthusiasm and joy. In her architectural career she has worked at the most important constructions realized in Greece over the last years, conducting projects or working next to some famous names of Greek and world architecture, like RTKL London or Santiago Calatrava.
Julia is mostly known for her B&W long exposure architectural photography, which is also the genre that speaks most to her artistic sensibility. Adept of the idea that processing your photographs is at least as important as capturing them, in order to make them express your unique vision and view over the world, a view that defines a photographer's personal style, her work goes beyond the boundaries of traditional photography and enters the fields of imagination and of searching for a perfect world.
In parallel with her photographic work, Julia also writes fine art photography books (i.e. “From Basics to Fine Art - B&W Photography" with co-author Joel Tjintjelaar http://sites.fastspring.com/juliaannagospodarou/product/frombasicstofineart) and teaches fine art architectural photography workshops for groups or private, around the world, at the same time mentoring students online in B&W Fine Art Photography. Published internationally in numerous books and magazines, her photographic work can also be seen online on the most important photography sites.
She calls her style of photography (en)Visionography™ www.envisionography.com, a new name for photography and a concept saying that fine art photography has to do much more with the vision of the artist than with the subject or how the camera captures it, this being what sets free the imagination and creativity of the photographer. This concept reflects also in her personal creative and processing method called Photography Drawing (PhtD™), method based on how light interacts with volumes and how this can be translated in an image in order to provoke emotion, by using the principles of classical B&W drawing applied to B&W photography.
As long as I know myself I was in a constant quest for the best way of expressing myself and my vision about the world in images. In order to do that I've used over time different tools as: drawing, designing and in a large measure photography.
Photography for me represents a language of its own and one of the most beautiful languages indeed, and long exposure photography represents the most magical part of this language, the part that allows us to come in contact with our subconscious and with the things we don't know that we know… What I try do is to speak this language in order to make myself understood, to convey my ideas and feelings and to show to others the beauty I see and the perfection that exists in everything that surrounds us, from an abstract architectural detail all the way to the motion of a wave embracing a rock, or the hint of gesture of a stranger passing in the street.
Beauty and perfection are always there, even in the places that one wouldn't expect them to exist, the only prerequisite in order to see them is to always have your eyes, heart and mind open. I try to find them and when I do I'm happy. I then try to capture them so I can keep them from flying away, I need to afterwards interpret them through my processing so I can add my own self to the equation and finally show the result back to the world. It's a full circle, I take my inspiration from the world around me and I give my images back to it as a sign of gratitude for the beauty that it showed me. All these steps going through the circle are equally fascinating to me and each one adds something to the life of the image I create. For me the life of an image, this process that starts with the image being conceived in the mind of a photographer and culminates when it reaches and gives emotion to the viewer and also back to the photographer himself, this life always aims as its utmost goal at capturing the time and making it last forever. And this is a fundamental aspect of photography: making things, people and emotions immortal.
Beauty is my statement about the world I live in, it's what I search for, it's what interests me when I open my eyes in the morning, when I take my camera and go out shooting and when I sit in front of my images processing them, trying to make them mine, to make them express my own thoughts and feelings about the things I see. Photography makes me happy and this is not a cliché. It surprises me every day and it gives me a safe space where I can be myself no matter what, and this means freedom.
Photography, as an art form, is the utmost expression of freedom, because beauty is above and beyond all freedom of spirit.
I like contrasts ...light and dark, silence and noise, stillness and dynamism.
I like playing and discovering.
I like languages. All of them. I like the civilizations, the places and the people behind them.
I like ...no, scratch that! ...I adore music.
I like studying people, understanding their strengths and sensibilities.
I like => love to travel.
I like to mould matter into shapes, I like to turn sensations into photographs, I like to dive into the music of each moment that I happen to be a part of.
Last but not least ...I love Manual Mode.
...and I like to make fun of it all, once in a while.
Curating the sea related theme #SeaTuesday (page +Sea Tuesday ).
- University of Architecture and Urban Planning "Ion Mincu", BucharestArchitecture, Urban Planning, Design, 1992 - 1998
From Basics To Fine Art – Special Offers | Julia Anna Gospodarou - Archi...
From Basics To Fine Art - Special Offers -
Im Gespräch mit Julia Anna Gospodarou - kwerfeldein - Fotografie Magazin
Grazil anmutende Formen, reduzierte Bilder voller Kraft und Bewegung - die Fotografien von Julia Anna Gospodarou sind meist An- und Ausschni