Lipstick, eyeliner, mascara.
Made me think that going through life as a straight, white man is a lot like playing a video game in Easy Mode.
My talk, "Wicked Ambiguity," is a look at the hardest, oldest problems that all of us grapple with daily—the wicked problems that hide in plain sight. More than that, this talk is about the problems that we can't solve because they have no final solutions... though we're still compelled to try.
It's also filled with Doctor Who references—see if you can catch them all!
Many thanks to Dan Klyn for connecting me with the amazing #MWUX15 team. They've been so helpful and gracious. Speaking at their event is both a pleasure and an honor.
- University of WashingtonM.S., Information Management, 2011 - 2013
- Rensselaer Polytechnic InstituteCertificate, Human-Computer Interactions (HCI), 1997 - 1998
- Michigan Technological UniversityB.S., Scientifiic and Technical Communication (STC), 1993 - 1997
Hi! I’m Jonathon Colman. I’m not ignoring you, I’m just introverted. Despite this, I’m a Webby Award-winning UX content strategist at Facebook, the social network. Yeah, I’m surprised by that, too.
Previously, I was the principle experience architect at REI and managed global digital marketing for The Nature Conservancy. I also served overseas in the Peace Corps (Burkina Faso, West Africa: 1999-2000) and worked in conservation nonprofits for almost a decade.
I’ve spoken at over 70 tech events on five continents and earned a master’s degree in Information Management from the University of Washington in 2013. I also studied Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and technical communication at Michigan Technological University.
All of that makes me a nerd, but don’t worry—I’m one of the good ones.
- Facebook, Inc.Product UX + Content Strategy, 2013 - presentLead content strategy for platform and search products with billions of interactions/day. Develop and scale a team of 3 focused on content strategy for 20+ products. Build products involving location, privacy, and integrations with third-party apps. Plan, structure, design, and write content for product user experiences.
- REIPrinciple User Experience Architect, 2012 - 2013Created enterprise content standards and governance workflows. Structured and modeled content metadata for findability and reusability. Developed business cases for cross-channel content experiences and apps.
- REISEO, Content, & Inbound Marketing, 2008 - 2012Grew organic search by 160% to nearly 50M visits and $100M in sales/year. Organized an agile dev team of 12 people focused on search, navigation, and SEO. Managed $200k budget, contracted with external agencies and consultants.
- The Nature ConservancyAssociate Director, Digital Marketing, 2004 - 2008Led global web marketing, advertising, and production teams to build awareness. Directed SEO, paid search, and partnerships yielding millions of dollars in donations. Developed strategy for implementing core technologies, including CMS and analytics.
- Barbara Thomas Fellowship ProgramInternet Marketing Fellow (Australia), 2008 - 2008
- New Target Internet Design & DevelopmentUser Interface Architect, 2004 - 2004
- Conservation InternationalWeb Communications and Content Manager, 2003 - 2004
- Great Lakes CommissionWeb and Publications Designer, 2001 - 2003
- Peace CorpsPeace Corps Volunteer - Community Health Development, 1999 - 2000
- IBMLead Information Developer, Groupware, 1997 - 1999
Blog Post Idea Generation Any Business Can Use - Heidi Cohen
Not sure what to blog about? Need some inspiration? Here are 15 blog post idea generation types, examples and tips to help fill your blog ed
Dear tech giants, if you love someone set them free
You know what really grinds my gears? The industry standard that the company you work for owns your SOUL! Ok, maybe not your soul. But for t
Cliff Mass Weather Blog: Seattle Times Glacier Disaster
The headline in this morning's Seattle Times had a lot of shock value. Using huge type, the word DISASTROUS boomed a serious warning. It abo
Cliff Mass Weather Blog: Air Quality is Worse In Portland, Oregon Than I...
I just got off the phone from someone in Portland...the air smells like wood smoke, visibility is heavily reduced, and the sun's rays weak a
Black History Month gets a star-studded kickoff at EMP
Ten criticisms of the Black Lives Matter protesters who interrupted the Bernie Sanders rally — and why all 10 are wrong.
Real-talk: Why the fuck didn’t you vote. | seattlish
As of this morning, the Secretary of State’s office is reporting that about 19.52% of registered King County voters could be bothered to fil
Stephen Colbert Interviews Eminem on Michigan Public Access TV Show | Ne...
"Are you one of the slow talking rappers, or one of the fast talking rappers?"