"No one is more sentimentalized in America than mothers on Mother’s Day, but no one is more often blamed for the culture’s bad people and behavior. You want to give me chocolate and flowers? That would be great. I love them both. I just don’t want them out of guilt, and I don’t want them if you’re not going to give them to all the people who helped mother our children."
Here's my answer: http://confabevents.com/blog/why-content-strategy
I think it's important to "Start with why," as Simon Sinek says, because that's the only way to discover the enduring truth behind our actions.
Why are you a content strategist? Hope to see you at #ConfabMN later this month!
Big shout-outs for , , , , and more!
Get the full slide deck at http://www.slideshare.net/jcolman/build-better-content
When we build better content, we also build better experiences. That's because "content strategy" doesn't mean "write the words" any more than "design" means "make it pretty."
Want to know more? You can find the slides here: http://www.slideshare.net/jcolman/build-better-content
We'll be talking about the challenge of finding product/market fit for dog tech, why designing for dogs isn't taken seriously, why and how people humanize their dogs, and how best to solve problems for people and their dogs.
Hope to see you there! http://found.packdog.com/
- University of Washington - Information SchoolM.S., Information Management, 2011 - 2013
- Rensselaer Polytechnic InstituteCertificate, Human-Computer Interactions (HCI), 1997 - 1998
- Michigan Technological UniversityB.S., Scientifiic and Technical Communication (STC), 1993 - 1997
For nearly 20 years, I’ve helped people and organizations build, find, and use the best stuff on the Web.
As a member of the Content Strategy team at Facebook, I work with product designers, UX researchers, engineers, and product managers to make Facebook better, easier to use, and more delightful for over 1 billion people around the world… including people just like you.
I’ve spoken at international conferences on content strategy, user experience, SEO, web analytics, and Internet marketing. I’ve had the honor of presenting at venues such as Confab, the IA Summit, ad:Tech, eTail, MozCon, SMX, the Content Strategy Forum, the National Press Club, and many more.
Over the course of my career, I’ve:
- Led a team to win two Webby Awards for The Nature Conservancy
- Pioneered nonprofit social media marketing, raising over $500,000 online
- Popularized the discipline of agile marketing while at REI
- Educated over 250,000 people about content strategy via my public speaking
In 2013, I earned a master’s degree from the University of Washington’s Information Management program. Previously, I graduated from Michigan Technological University with a degree in Scientific and Technical Communication and later earned certification in Human-Computer Interfaces from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
- Facebook, Inc.Content Strategist, 2013 - presentMake Facebook better for over 1 billion people, including people just like you. Manage and develop a team of content strategists focused on Facebook's Platform and Open Graph products. Lead content strategy for Facebook's Utility product group. Uphold and refine content standards, advocating for user experience and information architecture best practices at scale.
- REIPrinciple Experience Architect: Content Strategy, Information Architecture, 2012 - 2013Developed enterprise standards and governance for content in order to create breakthrough experiences. Structured and modeled content for findability/reusability within a component content management system (CCMS). Developed and socialized business cases for content applications, such as an improved search framework. Advocated for innovation, creative problem-solving, content management, and cross-channel content.
- REISEO, Inbound Marketing, 2008 - 2012Grew organic search traffic to become the single largest and fastest-growing Internet marketing program at REI by building alliances and shared goals across teams. Doubled share of traffic and sales from organic search, even as other programs grew at record rates. Co-organized an Agile, cross-functional workstream of 12 focused on search, navigation, and SEO. Persuaded leadership to embrace web performance, content management, and content marketing. Managed a large budget, contracted with external strategic partners, agencies, and consultants.
- The Nature ConservancyAssociate Director, Digital Marketing, 2004 - 2008Led worldwide web marketing, advertising, social media, and production, winning two Webby Awards. Directed strategy for SEO, paid search, and digital engagement, driving millions of dollars in donations. Created the Conservancy's first social media channels, raising $500,000+ to date on Facebook/Causes. Developed strategy for implementing core technologies, including web content management system. Managed and developed two direct reports, coordinated several vendor and partner relationships.
- Barbara Thomas Fellowship ProgramFellow, Internet Marketing (Australia), 2008 - 2008Developed web marketing infrastructure and fundraising capacity for Australian conservation nonprofits. Created/facilitated an interactive three-day workshop focused on web strategy, tactics, and planning. Consulted with conservation nonprofit partners throughout Australia to develop custom strategies. Mentored staff to develop careers in marketing, SEO, social media, analytics.
- New Target Internet Design & DevelopmentUser Interface Architect, 2004 - 2004
- Conservation InternationalWeb Communications and Content Manager, 2003 - 2004
- Great Lakes CommissionWeb and Publications Designer, 2001 - 2003
- Peace CorpsPeace Corps Volunteer - Community Health Development, 1999 - 2000
- IBMLead Information Developer, Groupware, 1997 - 1999
Blog Content Curation: Your New Blog BFF - Heidi Cohen
Want to augment your blog content? Then add the 5 most popular forms of blog content curation to increase your content and your reach. Examp
Muddy Colors: What Women Want...in Women Characters
As the most frequently-posting woman on the Muddy Colors roster, let me officially welcome you to Women's History Month. Now while I don't a
Why You Should Join Me at Confab — Jonathon Colman
Confab Central 2015 is a content strategy conference taking place May 20-22 in Minneapolis. Here's why you should go to it.
Grow Your Own SEOs: Professional Development for Digital Marketers
Hiring SEOs is hard, but training them and helping them develop as professionals is even harder. A solid professional development plan incre
Dan Shapiro » What I Learned from the Breaking Bad Percolator
What I Learned from the Breaking Bad Percolator. Posted: August 20th, 2013 | Author: Dan | Filed under: Startups | 6 Comments ». Those of yo
Driving The Amalfi Coast Highway | The Everywhereist
That miserable and storied month of February now over, I am acutely aware of how anxious and unhappy I was throughout. This didn't occur to
Where to Eat & Drink at SearchFest 2015 | SEMpdx
Recommendations for where to eat & drink for SearchFest 2015 in Portland Oregon
2015 SEMpdx SearchFest Keynote Interview: Jonathan Colman | SEMpdx
Jonathan Colman will be giving the afternoon keynote at SearchFest 2015 which will take place Friday, February 27, 2015 in Portland Oregon.
Postscript: David Carr (1956-2015) - The New Yorker
Unlike many journalists, Carr never needed people to think that he was the smartest guy in the room.