Facebook’s New Twist on Location Sharing Puts Users in Control
"Flatten articles to accommodate my own particular knowledge gaps. I want related terms explained to me inline, just deep enough for me to grasp them and not get distracted from the main article."
- Facebook, Inc.Content Strategist, 2013 - present
- REIPrinciple Experience Architect: Content Strategy, Information Architecture, 2012 - 2013
- REIAgile SEO, Inbound Marketing Program Manager, 2008 - 2012
- The Nature ConservancyAssociate Director, Digital Marketing, 2004 - 2008
- Barbara Thomas Fellowship ProgramFellow, Internet Marketing (Australia), 2008 - 2008
- New Target Internet Design & DevelopmentUser Interface Architect, 2004 - 2004
- Conservation InternationalWeb Communications and Content Manager, 2003 - 2004
- Great Lakes CommissionWeb and Publications Designer, 2001 - 2003
- Peace CorpsPeace Corps Volunteer - Community Health Development, 1999 - 2000
- IBMLead Information Developer, Groupware, 1997 - 1999
For over 15 years, Jonathon Colman has helped people and organizations build, find, and use the best stuff on the Web.
Jonathon has worked with organizations like Facebook, REI, The Nature Conservancy, Conservation International, and IBM connect with their customers, launch platforms and tools, and build communities. By leveraging expertise in SEO/Inbound marketing, social media, web analytics, content strategy and agile methodologies, Jonathon helps organizations become better at what they do so that they can succeed in fulfilling their missions.
Jonathon helped lead a team that won two Webby Awards for The Nature Conservancy in 2009. He’s currently pursuing a master’s degree in Information Management from the University of Washington. Previously, Jonathon served as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Burkina Faso, West Africa where he worked on rural public health issues.
Jonathon has spoken at international conferences on SEO, social media, web analytics, and content strategy. He’s had the honor of presenting at conferences such as MozCon, SMX Advanced, ad:Tech, the Content Strategy Forum, eTail, the National Press Club, and many more. He’s also created and facilitated workplace-based training programs and multi-day labs/workshops on Internet marketing and strategic planning for teams.
- University of Washington - Information SchoolM.S., Information Management, 2011 - 2013
- Rensselaer Polytechnic InstituteCertificate, Human-Computer Interactions (HCI), 1997 - 1998
- Michigan Technological UniversityB.S., Scientifiic and Technical Communication (STC), 1993 - 1997
Content strategy and content marketing walk into a bar...
There has been a lot of talk lately about the difference between content strategy and content marketing. A lot. Well-mannered missives have
Bloody Panda & Penguin for eBay Auction for my Recovery
Laura Lippay painted a Bloody Panda and a Bloody Penguin for auction on eBay. Proceeds will go to my recovery fund. Read why she did this!
Why Follower Count is Bullshit - the Mack Web blog
Follower count is easy to measure, but it doesn’t mean anything. Here's reasons and proof of why you should be measuring social media succes
Build Your Own Afterlife: Oculus Rift Game Development and the Future of VR
An interview with indie dev team White Lotus Interactive about what it’s like to spend all day in Virtual Reality
Empathy: I Don't Think That Means What You Think it Means
Empathy: the feeling that you understand and share another person's experiences and emotions : the ability to share someone else's feelings
UX STRAT 2013: Nathan Shedroff, What It Means to be Strategic
Nathan Shedroff's keynote presentation at UX STRAT 2013
UX STRAT 2013: Leah Buley, The Marriage of Corporate & UX Strategy
Leah Buley's presentation at UX STRAT 2013
Before You Break Up with Facebook, Remember a Lesson from Search
Facebook is getting criticized for driving advertisers to paid ads, but before marketers slam Facebook they should recall that Yahoo and Goo
Content Strategy Is Not User Experience « Brain Traffic Blog
"I'll show you weird markings." Every couple of weeks, one of my colleagues in the content strategy community wigs out a little bit about ma
Secret Military Test, Coming Soon to Your Spanish Class - Issue 12: Feed...
Imagine a test that could tell you how good you can ultimately get in any foreign language, from Hindi to Welsh, from Igbo to Spanish,…
The limits of “unlimited” vacation « Jacob Kaplan-Moss
Obligatory Disclaimer: this post discusses unlimited vacation policies. My employer (Heroku) has one such policy. However, this post isn't r