"I'm talking about daisies."
- University of WashingtonM.S., Information Management, 2011 - 2013
- Rensselaer Polytechnic InstituteCertificate, Human-Computer Interactions (HCI), 1997 - 1998
- Michigan Technological UniversityB.S., Scientifiic and Technical Communication (STC), 1993 - 1997
Hi! I’m Jonathon Colman. I’m not ignoring you, I’m just introverted. Despite this, I’m a Webby Award-winning UX content strategist at Facebook, the social network. Yeah, I’m surprised by that, too.
Previously, I was the principle experience architect at REI and managed global digital marketing for The Nature Conservancy. I also served overseas in the Peace Corps (Burkina Faso, West Africa: 1999-2000) and worked in conservation nonprofits for almost a decade.
I’ve spoken at over 70 tech events on five continents and earned a master’s degree in Information Management from the University of Washington in 2013. I also studied Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and technical communication at Michigan Technological University.
All of that makes me a nerd, but don’t worry—I’m one of the good ones.
- Facebook, Inc.Product UX + Content Strategy, 2013 - presentLead content strategy for platform and search products with billions of interactions/day. Develop and scale a team of 3 focused on content strategy for 20+ products. Build products involving location, privacy, and integrations with third-party apps. Plan, structure, design, and write content for product user experiences.
- REIPrinciple User Experience Architect, 2012 - 2013Created enterprise content standards and governance workflows. Structured and modeled content metadata for findability and reusability. Developed business cases for cross-channel content experiences and apps.
- REISEO, Content, & Inbound Marketing, 2008 - 2012Grew organic search by 160% to nearly 50M visits and $100M in sales/year. Organized an agile dev team of 12 people focused on search, navigation, and SEO. Managed $200k budget, contracted with external agencies and consultants.
- The Nature ConservancyAssociate Director, Digital Marketing, 2004 - 2008Led global web marketing, advertising, and production teams to build awareness. Directed SEO, paid search, and partnerships yielding millions of dollars in donations. Developed strategy for implementing core technologies, including CMS and analytics.
- Barbara Thomas Fellowship ProgramInternet Marketing Fellow (Australia), 2008 - 2008
- New Target Internet Design & DevelopmentUser Interface Architect, 2004 - 2004
- Conservation InternationalWeb Communications and Content Manager, 2003 - 2004
- Great Lakes CommissionWeb and Publications Designer, 2001 - 2003
- Peace CorpsPeace Corps Volunteer - Community Health Development, 1999 - 2000
- IBMLead Information Developer, Groupware, 1997 - 1999
Pet Sitting/Walking - Danielle M. from Seattle, WA - Care...
Danielle M. is a full-time Pet Care from Seattle, WA with 0 years pet care experience. Hire her on Care.com.
Employment, construction, and the cost of San Francisco apartments
Everyone agrees that housing in San Francisco is expensive, and that the high costs are hurting the city. But there is a lot of disagreement
Sarah Kalnajs Seminar: Distance-Increasing Signals
As the category name implies, these are things a dog does to say that he wants the other dog (or person) to back off and increase the amount
[Responsible disclosure] How I could have hacked all Facebook accounts
Summary: This post is about a simple vulnerability found on Facebook which could have been used to hack into other user's Facebook account e
Enhanced Existing Content Marketing Increases Your ROI - Heidi Cohen
Are you maximizing Enhanced Existing Content Marketing ROI? Enhanced Existing Content Marketing is defined and explained in a 5 step process
Adult Learning: Knowing When To Stand Up and When To Sit Down. A Guide f...
If things are truly going to get better for everyone, we are going to need more sacrifices.
The Coffee Collective Blog: Updated Aeropress brewing method
The Aeropress is taking its victory rounds online and in real life in the coffee shop. When we first launched the Aeropress in the coffee sh