: you best start stocking up now! :)
I'll be showing case studies about communicating with aliens, warning people in the future about nuclear waste, and grappling with the ambiguity we all face when we design not for 1 year, or even 10 years, but for 10,000 years or more.
Hope to see you at HQ for a journey of over 1.2 quadrillion miles through space and time!
- University of WashingtonM.S., Information Management, 2011 - 2013
- Rensselaer Polytechnic InstituteCertificate, Human-Computer Interactions (HCI), 1997 - 1998
- Michigan Technological UniversityB.S., Scientifiic and Technical Communication (STC), 1993 - 1997
Hi! I’m Jonathon Colman. I’m not ignoring you, I’m just introverted. Despite this, I’m a Webby Award-winning UX content strategist at Facebook, the social network. Yeah, I’m surprised by that, too.
Previously, I was the principle experience architect at REI and managed global digital marketing for The Nature Conservancy. I also served overseas in the Peace Corps (Burkina Faso, West Africa: 1999-2000) and worked in conservation nonprofits for almost a decade.
I’ve spoken at over 70 tech events on five continents and earned a master’s degree in Information Management from the University of Washington in 2013. I also studied Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and technical communication at Michigan Technological University.
All of that makes me a nerd, but don’t worry—I’m one of the good ones.
- Facebook, Inc.Product UX + Content Strategy, 2013 - presentLead content strategy for platform and search products with billions of interactions/day. Develop and scale a team of 3 focused on content strategy for 20+ products. Build products involving location, privacy, and integrations with third-party apps. Plan, structure, design, and write content for product user experiences.
- REIPrinciple User Experience Architect, 2012 - 2013Created enterprise content standards and governance workflows. Structured and modeled content metadata for findability and reusability. Developed business cases for cross-channel content experiences and apps.
- REISEO, Inbound Marketing, 2008 - 2012Grew organic search by 160% to nearly 50M visits and $100M in sales/year. Organized an agile dev team of 12 people focused on search, navigation, and SEO. Managed $200k budget, contracted with external agencies and consultants.
- The Nature ConservancyAssociate Director, Digital Marketing, 2004 - 2008Led global web marketing, advertising, and production teams to build awareness. Directed SEO, paid search, and partnerships yielding millions of dollars in donations. Developed strategy for implementing core technologies, including CMS and analytics.
- Barbara Thomas Fellowship ProgramInternet Marketing Fellow (Australia), 2008 - 2008
- New Target Internet Design & DevelopmentUser Interface Architect, 2004 - 2004
- Conservation InternationalWeb Communications and Content Manager, 2003 - 2004
- Great Lakes CommissionWeb and Publications Designer, 2001 - 2003
- Peace CorpsPeace Corps Volunteer - Community Health Development, 1999 - 2000
- IBMLead Information Developer, Groupware, 1997 - 1999
Stephen Colbert Interviews Eminem on Michigan Public Access TV Show | Ne...
"Are you one of the slow talking rappers, or one of the fast talking rappers?"
By the Numbers: The Magnitude of Rape and Sexual Assault – Rape on the N...
What is the incidence of rape? How many go unreported? How much does it cost the victim? We look at the numbers behind the crime.
MozCon July 13-15, 2015, a Digital Marketing Conference in Seattle
Expand your knowledge with three days of forward-thinking sessions and networking with the brightest minds in the industry.
Blog Content Curation: Your New Blog BFF - Heidi Cohen
Want to augment your blog content? Then add the 5 most popular forms of blog content curation to increase your content and your reach. Examp
Muddy Colors: What Women Want...in Women Characters
As the most frequently-posting woman on the Muddy Colors roster, let me officially welcome you to Women's History Month. Now while I don't a
Why You Should Join Me at Confab — Jonathon Colman
Confab Central 2015 is a content strategy conference taking place May 20-22 in Minneapolis. Here's why you should go to it.
Grow Your Own SEOs: Professional Development for Digital Marketers
Hiring SEOs is hard, but training them and helping them develop as professionals is even harder. A solid professional development plan incre
Dan Shapiro » What I Learned from the Breaking Bad Percolator
What I Learned from the Breaking Bad Percolator. Posted: August 20th, 2013 | Author: Dan | Filed under: Startups | 6 Comments ». Those of yo
Driving The Amalfi Coast Highway | The Everywhereist
That miserable and storied month of February now over, I am acutely aware of how anxious and unhappy I was throughout. This didn't occur to