Here's another entry in the "Story behind the paper series" . This one is from Lizzy Wilbanks , a co-advised PhD student in my lab (Twitter: @LizzyWilbanks ) A sulfurous symbiosis: Microscale sulfur cycling in the phototrophic pink berry consortia of the S...
- University Of California, DavisProfessor, 2006 - present
- DOE Joint Genome InstituteAdjunct Scientist, 2006 - 2011
- The Institute For Genomic Research,Investigator, 1998 - 2006
- The Johns Hopkins UniversityAdjunct Professor, 2000 - 2010
- The Public Defender Service of the District of ColumbiaIntern, 1987 - 1987
- The Rocky Mountain Biological LabField Assistant, 1988 - 1988
- Free Science, One Paper at a Time by David Dobbs
- Jonathan Eisen Frees (Almost All) His Father’s Papers by David Dobbs
- Cataloguing the Vast World of Microbes by Carl Zimmer
- Plenty More Bugs in the Sea in The Economist
- Harvard CollegeAB, Biological Sciences, 1986 - 1990
- Stanford UniversityPhD, Biology, 1991 - 1998
- Walt Whitman High School, Bethesda, MD1983 - 1986
There is a culture of acceptance around mental health issues in academia
I've seen PhD students with depression, sleep issues, eating disorders, and thoughts of suicide. Mental health in academia is an issue that
Women in academia: what does it take to reach the top?
Women need to build self-confidence and promote themselves. But is this enough? Or does real change imply breaking down the structures that
Some things to read in light of reported human DNA in bacterial genomes ...
Well, there is an interesting few papers out there relating to human DNA and whether or not there have been some recent lateral transfers of
Human stool as a tissue not a drug .. great idea from Smith, Kelly, Alm
Just got done reading this: Policy: How to regulate faecal transplants : Nature News & Comment by Mark Smith, Colleen Kelly and Eric Alm. I
Must read of the month: Show Me the Policy (on diversity at conferences)
Quick post here: As many know I am a bit obsessed with the issue of gender balance at conferences. And thus I was so happy to read the follo
The story behind “Programmable removal of bacterial strains by use of ge...
One of the remarkable aspects of CRISPR-Cas systems is that synthetic CRISPR RNAs can be designed to guide cleavage of almost any DNA sequen
Nice timing: Our paper on the Darwin's Finch genome is out today on Darw...
Background A classical example of repeated speciation coupled with ecological diversification is the evolution of 14 closely related species
Top five metaphors Darwin considered and rejected for "The Tree of Life"
Well, as I am desperately trying to prevent Hollywood from corrupting the term "Tree of Life" and I got to thinking. Why did Darwin and othe
Are you a knitter? Interested in microbes? Well this is for you: knit a ...
This is the first time in my life I wish I knew how to knit; Calling all knitters: we need germs! - The Glasgow South and Eastwood Extra. Yu