Internet of Things in your bathroom? Slick, clever bathroom DIY project in progress by.
11 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 6 previous comments
- How about this: If you build in a camera as well, you could display your own face on the mirror - live!! How's that for awesome? ;)
Perhaps slightly more relevant if the camera were pointing at your neck.Feb 3, 2016
- My plan is to use a Pine64 running Android for it initially. The board is totally overkill for something like this but dirt cheep and I have it available on stock.
I also considered skinning an very old Samsung tablet I have around and use that to run it. Problem is that I doubt I can find any recent Android versions for it so it will run somthing like 4.0 (or maybe it is even older - dont remember).
Besides time/date/weather I would like it to have features like:
- Todays items from our shared google calendar in the house
- Upcoming birthdays (i always forget to buy presents in time)
- simple reminders
- Traffic allerts for the routes to our work places (if it is a work day)
- Maybe voice controls to get it to do simple things like adding a reminder/todos (i.e. I set a reminder for my wife to see).
- Alarm functionality (Wife spends too much time on the bathroom and needs alarm to know that she is late for work).
I would add a similar screen in our kitchen but with touch screen input and more advanced calendar/email/todo interaction + recipe catalog etc etc.Feb 3, 2016
- Nice idea. Just would have to think about some really useful info other than the stupid 1200th weather icon in my house ;-)Feb 3, 2016
- I like the "bath time is over" alarm idea :) The upcoming birthdays would also be useful, but for the rest of the functionality I'd probably prefer to just keep it on the phone.
Pine64 - hadn't' seen that either. Aren't there about a million of these boards and their friends by now..?Feb 3, 2016
- Seriously, the concept takes off with a modern surface pro 4 and win 10. Conceive this three years from now with those components and the bath mirror is a localized workstation able to do everything you want on the cheap. Most expensive part would be the then modern color display ghosting through a 35 to 50 percent mirror.Feb 3, 2016
- Heck, do it today with the named tablet hooked to a mirrored touch surface and its done.Feb 3, 2016