- University of DenverBA'69 MBA'80, 1967 - 2013BA'69 Major Economics, Minor Psychology. Worked full-time for family business, as I went to school, helped in negotiating a cash sale the summer of 1969. MBA'80 President of the Graduate Student Association and Colorado College Republicans. Sales Manager, Clarion Newspaper, and I was a graduate teaching assistant.
- Cornell CollegeLiberal Arts, 1965 - 1967Football, wrestling (NCAA Div III Midwest Conference Champion), and baseball. AXE. Yearbook photographer.
- Regis UniversityAdult Education, 2001Classes in the theory of adult education from an instructor who studied with Malcolm Knowles.
- JohnWren.com Start! (current)
- Small Business Chamber of CommerceFounder & CEO, 1727 - presentWe cooperate with local chambers to provide more real help to startups and small businesses. Current projects: WrenCollege.org for Self-Directed Learning and CollegeStudentMarketeers.com for On-Demand Sales & Marketing Help.
- A&W Root BeerDish Washer, 1964 - 1964Jobs listed here from earliest to latest, does not include lawn mowing, selling Christmas paper door to door, Kool-Aid stands, etc. that I did as a kid.
- Cherry Knolls Swim ClubLife Guard/ Swim Team Coach, 1965 - 1965
- Bauman's Men Clothing, Mt. Vernon, IA.Sales, 1966 - 1966
- Western Merchants Wholesale CompanyHouseware Buyer/ Personnel Manager, 1949 - 1971Bosses son. Worked after school and most summers. Worked full time from 1967, helped sell business to NMS Industries (AMEX) in 1969. When I left was managing the inplant print show, was housewares buyer, personnel manager, and treasurer.
- Snelling and SnellingPersonnel Councilor, 1971 - 1972Personnel Councilor
- Toy House DistributorsOwner, 1972 - 1974
- Campaign Communication and Consulting CompanyResearcher, 1975 - 1976Assist with political campaign for US Congress.
- Clarion Newspaper (University of Denver)Sales Manager, 1974 - 1975
- Outdoor Sports IndustriesAssistant to the President, 1976 - 1978
- Davis Brothers Wholesale Drug CompanyMgr of Product Development, 1978 - 1979
- Medata ManufacturingOwner, 1979 - 1980Owner and Manager. Made and sold medical ID bracelets and necklaces through retail pharmacies.
- Mountain Bell Telephone CompanyAccount Executive, 1979 - 1981Did telephone sales training for Bell clients, and internal programs to reach the small business market. Founding president of the Rocky Mountain Direct Marketing Association as a strategy to help the company introduce the term telemarketing as part of re-branding of telephone sales.
- Wren MarkeingOwner, 1981 - 1983One-to-one marketing agency. We did campaigns for Gates Rubber Company, Montgomery Wards, CitiBank, Denver Business Journal, Titsch Publishing, and many others. Spoke at national and local association meetings including The National Association of Quick Printers, the American Marketing Association, and many others.
- Denver SymphonyDirector of Marketing, 1983 - 1985Managed ticket office, public relations professionals, and implemented an aggressive telemarketing program. Result was more sell outs than ever before or since.
- George S. May CompanyBusiness Analyst, 1986 - 1987Did 100 analysis of businesses in western US. Interviewed key personnel, survey of employee and employee interviews, observed operations and financial controls. Talked with advisors to firms and then made recommendation. Was recognized as top performer in national newsletter.
- TB Dodd InsuranceSales Manager, 1985 - 1986Developed telemarketing program for generating qualified appointments. Obtained property and casualty and health insurance licenses and closed sales.
- Sentinel NewspapersPR & Sales Manager, 1987 - 1990Held weekly sales meeting, implemented a telemarketing program for generating qualified sales leads. Made join sales calls with outside sales force. We obtained favorable publicity and avoided what could have been very bad publicity. Coordinated shift of city-wide delivery via local carriers to mail delivery.
I remember the late 60s and early 70s when there was talk of "management science" sparked by Fredrick Taylor and his concept of the "one best way." We've learned that is just not how humans do well. So why is it that those involved in business startup seem ...
How do you start a new business? The short answer: Get a customer. Of course there is more to it than that. Usually there is the decision to be in business. Then preparation. Then selling the first customer. This is not a linear process. Some may be on the...
We also talked about Freedom Fest and suggested that it explore combining with Bill Armstrong and John Andrews's Western Conservative Summit.
Finally we talked about a possible solution to the lack of vitalism and dynamism that is hurting our productivity today, WrenCollege.org and invited students and potential faculty members to check it out at http://www.WrenCollege.org
To be a guest on the show next week or to get help with your startup call John Wren at (303)861-1447. You can leave a complete, confidential message, I'm the only one with the code to the voice mailbox.
SmallBizChamber.org Get real help from real people to: +Recover+Start+Gr...
Each Friday, watch The Startup Show on http://www.JohnWren.com, in the afternoon in Denver you can meet with John Wren at Panera Bread, 13th
Speakers today at Denver Magna Carta Park on Magna Carta's 800th Anniver...
Front: Daniel J Wherley, Marvin R. Burton. Back: Glen Emerson, William F. Robinson III
Neighborhood College? Self-directed learning groups are forming.
University of Denver Alumni Magazine Thanks to the University of Denver for the plug in the new edition of our alumni magazine that just cam
Y Combinator's "How to Start a Startup" video and text.
Y Combinator has worked with hundreds of startups, this is distillation of their experience. Worth reading and watching, if you take this as
Jerusalem closes, will be new start for DenverWhenWhere.com
Jerusalem at the Edge Theatre. Closes tonight, Sunday, May 24, 2015. We will tell you all about it here late this evening. And new plans for