Profile cover photo
Profile photo
John Floren


Post has attachment
Started work on a workbench. I cut the 2x4s and screwed together two sides, which I'll connect into a freestanding frame tomorrow.
4 Photos - View album

It's been 12 days since I added the yeast to my cider. Bubbling has slowed if not stopped--I haven't had the patience to sit and watch long enough to see another bubble in the last few days.

The guide I'm following says you should wait another week after it's stopped bubbling to let the yeast settle. I'll aim to move it into a carboy Oct 1 or 2.

I am drinking wine at a mean rate as I try to get enough bottles ready. I'll be pushing wine on all my guests at the housewarming party this Saturday, too.

Bros: Ginger beer? I'm talking non-alcoholic, Australian-style ginger beer.

Post has attachment
it's bubbling like crazy!

Preparing a list of what I need to buy for phase 2 of the brewing process:

* 5 gallon plastic carboy (or should I go with 6.5 gal?)
* Carboy stopper
* Auto-siphon

My plan is to wait until fermentation subsides, then transfer the cider to the carboy and let it clarify before bottling. The guide I'm following (in the Google Drive folder) says you can expect about 2 weeks for fermentation, then you should let it sit in the bucket for another week or so to let the yeast settle, then rack it to a carboy for clarifying. It should then spend about a month in the carboy.

Meanwhile, I need to drink about 15 bottles of wine over those 7 weeks to get enough empties for bottling. For that, I think I just need bottles, corks, and a corker. And sealing wax for the corks because, as Josh pointed out, that's incredibly cool.

Post has attachment
Day 2 of cider brewing.

First I added 3 tsp of yeast nutrient per the label instructions and stirred it in gently.

Then, I warmed up 1 lb of honey by setting the bottle in a pan of hot water. It poured in easily and I gently stirred the must until the honey seemed to be fully dissolved.

Finally, I sanitized a pair of scissors and opened the yeast. I sprinkled the yeast on the surface and waited approx. 15 minutes until most of it sank. I then gave it a few slow stirs, put the re-sanitized lid on, and replaced the airlock.

It is now sitting in a spare bedroom where I can easily monitor its progress.
3 Photos - View album

Post has attachment
The cider brew begins today. As the photos show, I bought 3 gallons of fresh, unpasteurized apple juice from a local orchard.

Then I mixed up some Star-San in a spray bottle. 1.2 mL (1/4 tsp) in 800 mL of distilled water.

I washed the bucket thoroughly in hot water, then sprayed it down with Star-San. I poured out the excess sanitizer that collected at the bottom, then poured in the juice.

I added 1/8 tsp of sodium metabisulfite crystals per the instructions on the jar. Then I sprayed the lid and put it on, sprayed the lid o-ring, sprayed the airlock, and installed the airlock. Then I poured in Star-San+water solution up to the fill line.

Tomorrow, I will add yeast nutrient, yeast, and sugar. I will decide today what I want to use for sugar, but I'm leaning toward some local honey.
4 Photos - View album

Post has attachment
Bros, last night's project: a practice oscillator for morse code.

I can't find the circuit diagram right now, but it's just a 2n3904, a 2n3906, a 0.05uF cap, and a 100K resistor. Basically an incredibly simple R/C oscillator plus amplifier, although it doesn't amplify very loud.

I breadboarded it, then transferred to one of those proto boards with solder pads on the underside. It came together pretty quickly.

The tone when you tap on the key is pretty coarse because it's so simple, but it is sufficient for practicing morse code.

Post has attachment
Spotted in Italy
+ron minnich‚Äč
Add a comment...

Post has attachment
Are you lost, looking for guidance? Look no more, here's the old 4.4BSD version of the I Ching program! No more messing around with yarrow stalks, just type your question and receive ancient wisdom!
Add a comment...
Wait while more posts are being loaded