Finally got around to running new Box2D performance numbers. This time I concentrate more on VMs than compilers, and things have changed rather a lot over the past year or so. I also cover AS3, asm.js, and Dart.
33 plus ones
Shared publicly•View activity
View 33 previous comments
- Go back and read your older post for a refresher. You said you flipped some flag on in box2d, but at least in the version I'm running, it's still spending 40% of its time in StrictMath.cos/sin.Apr 28, 2013
- Whoops, I see it now. IIRC that "flag" was just a boolean buried in the jBox2D code. I'm using exactly the same version as last time, which I believe has that flag flipped, but I'll need to dig into the jar to check again. Will do so after the rugrat's in bed tonight.Apr 28, 2013
- Yeah, I actually discovered this while fooling around some. The box2d version you have in github doesn't have it enabled. I downloaded a version that did have it enabled, but then I had to change some code in your main harness (box2d API changes), and the profile changed drastically. I didn't get around to just patching the version you have in github.Apr 28, 2013
- The GC fix has landed: https://code.google.com/p/dart/source/detail?r=22393 can you try with continuous build?
https://storage.googleapis.com/dart-editor-archive-continuous/latest/dartsdk-macos-32.zipMay 6, 2013
- Thanks, I've been meaning to come back and update the metrics and graphs on several fronts, so I'll definitely do so with the new VM. Probably tonight, after I get the rugrat to bed.May 6, 2013
- V8 also just enabled some optimizations that should affect Box2D version that uses normal objects (vs. Box2D that uses Emscripten) by eliminating repetitive boxing of fields.May 10, 2013