The incredible rarity of this type of event in Australia is a testament to our effective gun laws and cultural shift away from firearm worship.
"Conservatism as a political and social philosophy promotes retaining traditional social institutions in the context of culture and civilization"
This is only true relative to the current zeitgeist at any given time. It's obviously not an absolute set of principles. In practice, therefore, conservatism is merely a philosophy whose ideals are simply a few decades behind the zeitgeist. Today's conservatives in America, for example, do not want to see a return to the monarchy, they no longer (in most cases) agree with slavery, they don't want to take the vote away from women, and they don't want the age-of-consent laws to be changed back to between 7 and 12.
At one time, however, a few decades after each of these things changed throughout history, they would have wanted it to go back to how it was. They simply lag behind modern thinking by a generation or two. That is the undeniable essence of conservatism.
How, then, can anyone openly and even proudly call themselves a conservative? Well the answer to this lies in the pervasive history of cherry-picking among conservatives. This is one of the most intellectually dishonest forms of persuasion. So if you are a conservative, you are demonstrably either ignorant, dishonest, or mentally regressive. You must admit that your principles are consistently just a few decades behind, and nothing more.
Having said that, Michael Pascoe make a lot of really valid points here, and importantly, addresses the 'protection' myth.
(link thanks to )
The rest of the world has been watching you kill yourselves with your guns and you are still wanting to protect your guns. When are you going to start protecting Americans and American Children instead of your guns? Are your guns more important than the lives of Americans?
• A 2-year-old shot himself in the face in Raleigh, North Carolina.
• A 15-year-old Brooklyn teenager ‘accidentally’ (fuck, I hate that word)shot himself in the chest.
• A 5-year-old Texas boy was shot by another kid.In Georgia, while assembling a gun, a man shot a 9-year-old girl.
• A Georgia mother was trying to break up an argument and ended up shooting her 15-year-old son and another teen.
• In Pennsylvania, a man was ‘test-firing’ his gun and shot his 9-year-old relative.
• In Los Angeles, an 8-year-old boy wasshot in the head while sleeping.
• An 8-year-old Chicago boy was shot by another child while ‘playing with a gun.’
• A 9-year-old Florida boy shot his grandpa while hunting.
• In New Mexico, a 13-year-old was ‘accidentally’ shot by his 26-year-old brother.
• A 3-year-old Ohio boy picked up a firearm and fatally shot a 1-year-old boy.
• A 15-year-old North Carolina teen was ‘accidentally’ fatally shot by his cousin.
• In Michigan, a 19-year-old and a 13-year-old were ‘shooting targets’ when the boy’s gun discharged piercing the woman’s lung in what was deemed to be an ‘accident.’
• In Arizona, a 7-year-old was shot and the details of that case are still unclear.
• In Idaho, a 9-year-old ‘accidentally’ shot his 7-year-old brother.
• A 16-year-old Ohio boy fatally shot himself in the chest while cleaning his gun.
• In Louisiana, a teenager shot his 16-year-old friend while trying to make sure his gun was unloaded. (You can’t make this stuff up)
• A 9-year-old girl Pennsylvania girl was shot ‘accidentally’ with a 12-gauge shotgun while two younger children were playing with the firearm.
• In Michigan, a 2-year-old was ‘accidentally’ shot and left in critical condition.
• In Texas, a 3-year-old was fatally shot by his father.
• In Los Angeles, a 15-year-old ‘accidentally’ fatally shot a 16-year-old girl.
• A Virginia Sheriff’s deputy accidentally shot his 13-year-old daughter.
• A 7-year-old boy got ahold of an unsecured gun and shot himself.
• A 2-year-old New Orleans boy was shot while playing outside.
• A 5-year-old Chicago girl was ‘accidentally’ shot.
• A 6-year-old Vermont boy shot himself while target shooting with his father.
• In Georgia, a 1-year-old was fatally shot by a 15-year-old boy.
• In Arizona, a 2-year-old ‘accidentally’shot himself in the face.
And yfw this was all during the month of April, 2015 alone. FFS America, give up your guns!
- Queensland University of Technology (QUT)Film & Television Production
- Noosa District State High School
- Tewantin Primary School
- Double Dragon Trilogy
- Peggle Blast
- FreelanceEditor/colourist/filmmaker/teacher, present
- JOEmediaFilmmaker, 2012
- Bait Productions (with Blackmagic Design)2011
- Cutting Edge post-production
- Taxi Films
- FHQ (Film Headquarters)
- CP International
- Blacklab Productions
- Grundy TV
- Awesomely Awesome Productions
- Lav Productions
- Limelight International Media Entertainment
- Picture Post Pty Ltd.
- Chop Shop PostEditor/Colourist/Video wizard
Edward Snowden leaves Hong Kong for Moscow: live updates
The NSA whistleblower has left Hong Kong on an Aeroflot flight to Moscow, two days after the US charged him with espionage, with his eventua
Red Bull Danny MacAskill's Imaginate - Behind The Scenes
MacAskill's Imaginate riding film sees Danny take a completely different approach to riding. Enter Danny's mind and enjoy... but its interac
Maddow Explains How The FBI Can Assassinate Anyone They Want
June 19, 2013 MSNBC News http://MOXNews.com