- Swarthmore CollegeWar News Radio Journalist in Residence, 2010 - present
- University of MissouriAssistant Professor, 2009 - 2010
- Philadelphia Daily NewsSenior Photographer & News Video Producer, 1991 - 2008
- Associated PressBaghdad Staff Photographer, 2004 - 2006
- The Wilkes-Barre Times LeaderStaff Photographer, 1988 - 1991
- Freelance news photographerBoston, 1979 - 1988
I am an independent multimedia journalist, university educator and instructional new media consultant based in Philadelphia.
This year, I will continue advising the students who report and produce War News Radio at Swarthmore College – and teach a new course on Peace Journalism.
I spent last year teaching graduate multimedia reporting courses at the Carter Journalism Institute at NYU, and leading journalism innovation seminars at Temple University, as well as producing War News Radio. I spent 2009-2010 as an assistant professor on the convergence journalism faculty at the University of Missouri School of Journalism.
Until 2008, I was the senior photographer, a photo-columnist and the first solo video journalist with the Philadelphia Daily News, where I had worked since 1991.
On leave from the Daily News in 2004-2005, I was a photographer and photo editor for the Associated Press in Iraq, personally covered over 200 combat missions, and at times managed the AP’s Iraq photo report and staff development in Baghdad. I was honored with the Bayeux Prize for War Correspondents, and was included in the Associated Press photo team awarded the 2005 Pulitzer Prize for breaking news photography and numerous additional awards.
In 2006-2007, I was a Knight-Wallace Fellow at the University of Michigan, and an Ochberg Fellow with the Dart Center for Journalism and Trauma in later 2007. I have led photojournalism seminars at Tufts University, my alma mater, and undergraduate courses at Temple University, including a course I designed on journalism and trauma. In 2009, I traveled across New Zealand to present a series of lectures on trauma journalism.
More recently, I was named one of the Five Biggest Photographers on the Internet by Photo District News, and Philadelphia Magazine’s Best of Philly “Nuevo Journalist,” both for my experiments in social media journalism.
I am sometimes available for editorial assignments, commissioned projects, select commercial contracts, and instructional new media consulting.
Thank you for visiting, Jim
- University of MichiganKnight-Wallace Fellow, 2007
- Temple UniversityGraduate Studies in Journalism, 1996
- Tufts UniversityB.S. in Education, 1988
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston1984