- Dominic CollegeDrum Kit Tutor, 2014 - presentTutoring students from Prep to year 10 in contemporary drum kit.
- Claremont CollegeContemporary Music Tutor, 2011 - present
- Exitleft Performance AcademyDrum Tutor, 2014 - 2016
- Rose Bay High SchoolDrum/Percussion Tutor, 2014 - 2015
- Snug Primary SchoolMusic Teacher, 2014 - 2015
- Southern MusicDrum Kit & Bodhran Tutor, 1993 - 2013
- Australian Regular ArmyMusician, 1984 - 1992
- Jeremy Sibson: Education & PerformanceDirector/Educator, 2016 - present
15 Wallace Avenue Lenah Valley Tasmania
I have been teaching drum kit since 1988 and have maintained my teaching practice whilst playing professionally in rock, pop, and jazz bands; playing music theatre as a pit musician; doing recording sessions; and writing and recording soundtracks.
I believe my vast experience in a broad range of musical styles has ideally positioned me as a drum kit teacher. I place a large emphasis on reading and understanding of music as this knowledge provides a strong foundation on which to build a student’s ability. Reading can open many doors in the future for students that they may not have considered. It also enables students to communicate more effectively in band situations of any genre.
My typical lessons all start with basic rudiments and then progress to playing of basic rock/pop grooves with fills. I do not work from any one particular method book but draw on my vast library to tailor the lessons to the individual student. I also have an extensive collection of my own transcriptions of popular (and obscure) songs from the 1960’s up to the latest chart toppers.
2015 marks my 40th year of playing and also the integration of electronics into the teaching syllabus. This is in the form of Roland pads and pedals and the SPD S sampling pad. This is designed to give students the edge when branching out into the professional world of sessions, recording, and live performance.
Overall I like to believe my lessons are fun and informative and ultimately tailored to suit each individual student’s needs.
- University of TasmaniaMusic/Teaching, 2008 - 2013
- Hobart Matriculation College1983 - 1984
- Taroona High School1979 - 1982
- Mt Stuart Primary School1973 - 1978