MANY NIGHTS I have these dreams where I lose my daughter while traveling. We’re about to board a flight, and suddenly she has vanished. In other parts of these same dreams, still traveling, I’m doing something amazing—like hiking the Alps—when I realize I’ve forgotten to check in on my app. Although the two distresses are in no way equivalent in life, in the dream sudden heart-stopping panic attends them both. It’s as if my unconscious is warning me I place too high a value on my illusory digital life.
- University of Virginia (MFA)Fiction Writing
- Indiana University (BA)English (Film & Music)
Founder & Publisher, A List Apart Magazine. Co-founded the multi-city user experience design conference An Event Apart with Eric Meyer. Founder of studio.zeldman, a web and interaction design studio in New York. Founder Emeritus of Happy Cog™, an award winning digital design studio. Publisher and co-founder of A Book Apart—brief books for web and interaction designers.
Have written two books, notably the foundational web standards text, Designing With Web Standards, currently in a 3rd Edition coauthored with Ethan Marcotte. It has been translated into 15 languages, including (for the last edition) Italian, Chinese, Hungarian, Polish and Portuguese.
Faculty member on the MFA, Interaction Design program at School of Visual Arts, New York. Co-founder and host of the internet radio program The Big Web Show (“Everything Web That Matters”), which has twice been named Podcast of the Year by .net Magazine.
Former freelance journalist, The Washington Post & City Paper. Former copywriter & art director. Played Casio in DC's Insect Surfers.
- studio.zeldmanFounder, 2016 - presentstudio.zeldman is open for business. It’s a vision I’ve been cooking up, a new studio supported by some of the most talented people in our industry and everything I’ve learned in two-plus decades of web and interaction design.
- An Event ApartCo-Founder, 2005 - presentAn Event Apart is an intensely educational two-day learning session for passionate practitioners of standards-based web design. If you care about code as well as content, usability as well as design, An Event Apart is the conference for you. Dedicated to the proposition that the creators of great web experiences deserve a great learning experience, An Event Apart brings together twelve of the leading minds in web design for two days of inspiration and enlightenment plus an optional third-day workshop on topics like multi-device design, responsive web design, content strategy, CSS3, and HTML5.
- A List Apart, for people who make websitesFounder, Publisher, 1998 - presentLeading the field since 1998, A List Apart (ISSN: 1534-0295) explores the design, development, and meaning of web content, with a special focus on web standards and best practices. We publish big ideas by outstanding designers, developers, writers, and strategists.
- A Book ApartPublisher, Co-Founder, 2009 - presentWeb design is about multi-disciplinary mastery and laser focus, and that’s the thinking behind our brief books for people who make websites. We cover the emerging and essential topics in web design and development with style, clarity, and, above all, brevity — because working designer-developers can’t afford to waste time. A Book Apart publishes highly detailed and meticulously edited examinations of single topics. We produce brief books of about 100 pages — the perfect size in terms of subject depth and coverage for topics like HTML5, CSS3, content strategy, responsive web design, and more. The goal of every title in our catalog is to shed clear light on a tricky subject, and do it fast, so you can get back to work.
- Happy Cog™Founder, Chairman Emeritus, 1999 - 2016At the height of the dot-com boom, when "good" websites were inaccessible Flash-powered broadcast- and brand-oriented, ludicrously expensive vanity projects, I founded a design studio that was user- and content-focused, used web standards to make content accessible to all and to push what could be done in open-web-based design. Left the company in 2016 to start studio.zeldman.
Web design predictions for 2012 | Webdesigner Depot
Everything changes. The Internet and web design are certainly no exceptions to the rule. As we move through the days and months ahead, it’s
Drunken Ben Bernanke Tells Everyone At Neighborhood Bar How Screwed U.S....
SEWARD, NE—Claiming he wasn't afraid to let everyone in attendance know about "the real mess we're in," Federal Reserve ch
Obama: Debt Ceiling Deal Required Tough Concessions By Both Democrats An...
WASHINGTON—A day after signing legislation that raised the government debt ceiling and authorized steep budget cuts, President Obama thanked
$52 Steaks on Menu as AT&T Feted Lawmakers During T-Mobile Push
AT&T Inc. feted lawmakers at Washington restaurants offering $52 steaks and a $15 “Lobbyist’s Libation” made of gin and cucumber puree a
Congress Continues Debate Over Whether Or Not Nation Should Be Economica...
WASHINGTON—Members of the U.S. Congress reported Wednesday they were continuing to carefully debate the issue of whether or not they should
Widening Gap Between Rich And Super-Rich Threatening American Dream
GREENWICH, CT—Statistics say that America is more prosperous than ever, but you'd never know it from looking at the horse stables tucked beh
The (Now Sacred) Visual Icons Created in the Wake of 9/11
Of the many icons created after 9/11, those makeshift memorials and haunting "missing" flyers were the most devastatingly sad
Pony Up Haters: How 4chan Gave Birth to the Bronies | Betabeat — News, g...
Pony Up Haters: How 4chan Gave Birth to the Bronies. By Una LaMarche 10:31am. Tweet. Illustration by Walter Newton. On a recent sweltering S
Why My Mom Bought an Android, Returned It, and Got an iPhone | Betabeat ...
Why My Mom Bought an Android, Returned It, and Got an iPhone. By Guest Post 7/29 8:09am. Tweet. What has become of me? This is a guest post
On Rules and Norms: Four Reasons to Regret This Moment
Does this seem like a sobering chapter in politics? It should.
TechCrunch | Gowalla Is Reborn As A Beautiful App For Travel And Storyte...
The location wars had a number of casualties. Some companies shut down, some sold off their remaining tech and talent. Others are still out
Recommended Artists & Designers - Who to follow on Google Plus? Goog...
Discover interesting people to add to your circles on Google+.