University of Louisville
Director of Digital Media || Providing strategic online, social media & mobile direction and training university-wide, 2010 - present
• Provide new media strategic direction to the office of the President, Foundation and university-wide
• Create online strategy, policies, procedures and guidelines for all University (360+) websites based on analytic data and consumer demand
• Oversee the development and launch of updated brand identity and guidelines
• Teach marketing managers, 12 schools and 22 business units effective strategy, branding, marketing, online analytics, Google Analytics, SEM, advertising, media buying, SEO, social media, interactive marketing and communication
• Implement changes in the social media strategy that tripled Facebook “Likes” and more than double the overall online mentions, in less than one year.
• Implement a new website design that increased usage by 10%, improved engagement and speed. All of the changes were based on data mined through Google, Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
• Co-investigator - NIH research using digital media to promote a study (with the School of Nursing) and do research, all online. One of the largest NIH funded projects for the school that year.
Director of Online || Manage all aspects of internet marketing, development, advertising and promotion, 2007 - 2010
• Manage all aspects of online for 7 brands, including a $2.1 million online advertising budget.
• Launch social networking and community initiatives including blog outreach, social network outreach and ongoing engagement initiatives resulting in over three million blog engagements and thousands of additional social networking engagement every month, without any advertising dollars.
• Personally built a social networking and engagement application to track, monitor and provide reports on social media and blog outreach. Also, developed scalable infrastructure to support content development and delivery on the fly by several departments and content developers.
• Manage a site launch using WordPress and BuddyPress, doubling original site content for SEO.
Interim CEO/COO for online and traditional companies moving online, 2001 - 2007
• Provided executive management and strategy for ecommerce and lead-generation companies in need of a strategic online marketing and/or customer service improvements to improve core goals.
• Worked closely with owners and key stakeholders to understand business objectives and build a strategic plan to meet or exceed them. Often resulting in an interim COO assignment to implement company-wide change, including improving technology to support online marketing initiatives.
• Built several companies’ organic search strategy (SEO) and advised on internet media plans including search, banner, (advanced) rich media, email, social and viral campaigns. Mostly changing CPM buys to CPA and finding creative partnerships at little or no cost.
• Assist companies in building an online publishing platform to improve SEO rankings or to build out a lead generation engine based on landing pages.
• Manage advertising budgets up to $42 million over many medium (T.V., radio, online, print, etc.)
• Assist with large-ticket business development opportunities.
Founder / President || Started a mobile phone software company that created one of the first ever App builders for smart phones, 2000 - 2001
• Developed an application to supplement ecommerce, field service and mobile sales companies with a PDA and cell phone solution.
• Established a hardware, hosting and data model that generated up-front and recurring revenue.
• Manage all marketing and fund raising resulting in $750K in funding and a beta launch impressive enough to land a Costco contract and a term sheet for $3.2M.
Director of Marketing || The first employee in a start-up, playing many roles but ultimately focused on marketing., 1998 - 1999
• The second employee hired and played many roles, ultimately mostly Marketing.
• Helped take the company from 0 to 5,000 customers soon after going live.
• Assist in technical, marketing, sales and fundraising.
Chief Operating Officer || Move a 25 year old traditional business to 100% online., 1997 - 1998
• Lead in transitioning the company from 100% paper to 100% online.
• Helped manage the development and design of an ecommerce solution that would seamlessly integrate existing data with leading edge technology.
• Work with the web team to ensure development of an SEO-friendly system from the ground up.
• Upgraded the whole company’s internal computers, networking, security and internet standards to support an all-online company.
Director of Web Development & sales engineer || Manage a front-end web development team and act as the technical, sales liaison, 1995 - 1997
• Develop ecommerce solutions for Fortune 1,000 and retail companies like Time/Warner, Kraft, Nabisco, Johnston & Murphy, The Sharper Image, Spiegel and Sundance.
• Attended all major sales meetings with the CEO as the sales engineer to bridge the gap between the technical and management teams.
• Personally built or managed over 40 ecommerce implementations.