Re +Nat Sheppard
's note on AI in Diaspora, I enjoyed writing up my space salvager character Pidge's AI sidekick the Precollapse Sentience Fiammetta, into her history and Aspects, with some possible plot hooks. Unfortunately the campaign didn't go long enough to develop the Pidge/Fifi dynamic. Here was my description, extracted from Pidge's character :
I've been operating with the notion that part of Fiammetta's personality was built to be a companion for a well-to-do woman in her original culture. Fiammetta can act with calculation and technical expertise when in difficult circumstances (seizing influence over Pidge via Pidge's sockets), but when not pressed, Fiammetta acts from curiosity and as a "best friend" to whatever human is closest.
I'm thinking of the main character of Jane Austen's novel Emma or its movie extrapolation Clueless. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clueless_(film)
, who is self-centered, free with her advice, and finds her matchmaking attempts going off course.
* At discovery, cautious, even duplicitous, pretending to be a glorified chat bot.
* Able to seize creative initiative and use built-in communication components and Pidge's neurosocket wiring to work around the artifact lab protections.
* Able to manifest an attractive and charismatic personality and form relationships, but not needing praise and publicity.
* Notion: Shaped to a role: Young Lady's Travel Companion.
* Notion: Like the title character in Emma
, Fiammetta has wit, energy and strong opinions but is a shallow judge of character.
* Notion: Subtle personality and/or data damage from long abandonment.
Open: Is "Fiammetta" a cover for some other set of intentions? Perhaps Fiammetta is a new personality created to influence and flatter Pidge, and has no strong continuity with past history.