As long as I can remember, I have been playing hockey. Over four decades and thousands of games later, I still lace them up a couple times a week, year-round. I joke with my American friends that it is, by law, that all Canadian children must play hockey. T...
It was exactly 6 years ago today that I stepped down from my 16 year IBM/Lenovo career to become an entrepreneur. In that final blog , I wrote about the transformational power of cloud computing, including technologies such as mobile, social and big data. I...
I was recently honored to be nominated to the Executive Council of CompTIA's Advancing Women in Technology community. As an important part of the world's largest technology association, the group looks to e mpower women with resources and information to pos...
Jay McBain is an accomplished speaker, author and innovator in the IT industry. Named to the Top 40 Under Forty list by the Business Review, Top 20 Global Channel Visionary by ChannelPro, #19 Newsmaker by CDN Magazine, Top 50 Global Channel Influencer by Penton, Top 100 Most Respected Thought Leader by Vertical Systems Reseller Magazine, member of Global Power 150 by SMB Magazine, and the Top 250 Global Managed Services Executives by MSPmentor.
Jay is often sought out for keynotes, consulting, thought leadership and industry guidance. He has spent his 22 year career in various Executive sales, marketing, channel and strategy roles within IBM, Lenovo and Autotask. Most recently, as the Co-founder and CEO of ChannelEyes, he led a startup that disrupted the social, mobile and predictive analytics software industry for channel programs.
Jay currently serves as Chairman emeritus of the CompTIA Vendor Advisory Council and Managed Services Community. He is a Board member of the Channel Vanguard Council, Ziff Davis Leadership Council, and CRN Channel Intelligence Council.
As a futurist, and long standing member of the World Future Society, Jay is a recognized expert in the future or partnering and the study of emerging computing models.
An avid blogger, community and social media expert, Jay has developed an innovative “dandelion marketing” approach engaging in a wide range of communities across hundreds of groups around the world.
He has lived in Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, Raleigh, and Albany, New York. He actively gives back to the community and has been on the board of the United Way, National Cristina Organization and Junior Achievement.
Specialties: Technology Futurist, Channel Management and Strategy, Sales Leadership and Coverage, Community and Social Media, Data Analytics, Cloud Computing, and Managed Services.
Visit my blog about the IT industry, channel management, and some of my own life sprinkled in:
- University of LethbridgeManagement Information Systems, 1990 - 1994
- Henry Wise WoodHigh School, 1987 - 1990
- John WareJunior High School, 1984 - 1987
- BraesideElementary School, 1982 - 1984
- Sir Alexander MackenzieElementary School, 1978 - 1982
- ChannelEyesCEO, 2011 - 2016Founded in 2011, ChannelEyes is a global software company that is reinventing how vendors drive channel partner sales and loyalty. The SaaS platform includes ChannelCandy, the world’s largest mobile-first product for partners, as well as OPTYX, the first indirect sales workflow product to help sellers with predictive analytics and leverage big data science to drive more sales. ChannelEyes has received numerous accolades for its technology including being named a Cool Vendor by Gartner and one of the fastest growing companies in New York’s Capital Region by the Business Review. Learn more at: http://channeleyes.com/
- AutotaskSenior Vice President, Strategy & Business Development, 2010 - 2011Responsible for developing and executing Autotask's strategy for growth into new market opportunities. Accelerating the growth of an industry leading suite of cloud based software products and building the Channel programs, marketing and sales execution into new markets and communities.
- Lenovo GroupDirector, Small and Medium Business, 2005 - 2010Develop and execute Lenovo's SMB strategy for North and South America. Design an innovative product/pricing portfolio and build the promotions and routes to market to grow Lenovo's share in this critical market segment. Work closely with key Channel Partners, Distributors, Retail/eTailers as well as consultants, ISVs and influencers.
- IBM CanadaBusiness Unit Executive, 1994 - 2005Invented a new approach to effectively cover “whitespace”. The Knowledge Worker Index, now in use world-wide with IBM in several product divisions, features a scoring algorithm to analyze industry, geography, buying behaviour, and employee size and proactively report sales coverage opportunities.
ChannelEyes Keeps Channel Managers From 'Chasing Data'
ChannelEyes says OPTYX was designed to deliver a 20 percent increase in sales.
How Many Channel Partners Are Out There? | My World content from The VAR...
It's a question as old as the industry itself. Does anyone really know the answer?
10 Things I Learned About the Channel This Summer, Part 3 | Information ...
Final observations on the state of the channel.
How To Use Social Media To Be More Effective At Your Job
A heads-up that on 14th Nov 2013 I'll be joining CompTIA for a free webinar on How To Use Social Media To Be More Effective At Your Job. Reg
“Cool Vendor” Takes B2B Social Media Mobile - Channel Pro SMB
Two years since its inception, ChannelEyes is ramping up its mobile platform, enabling channel partners to access vendor and distributor sal
ChannelEyes Mobile Platform Expands with New Modules
By: Jay McBain Late in 2012, ChannelEyes quietly launched the ChannelCandy branded mobile platform for Vendors, Distributors and Association
ChannelEyes Named to Gartner’s Cool Vendor 2013 List
ChannelCandy Mobile Platform Recognized as Innovative by Leading Analyst Firm EAST GREENBUSH, NY – APRIL 26, 2013 - ChannelEyes, a mobile de
A Daddy's Letter to His Little Girl (About Her Future Husband)
Dear Cutie-Pie, Recently, your mother and I were searching for an answer on Google. Halfway through entering the question, Google returned a
Social Media News and Web Tips – Mashable – The Social Media Guide
Social Media news blog covering cool new websites and social networks: Facebook, Google, Twitter, MySpace and YouTube. The latest web techno
5 Reasons to Launch a Mobile App for Your Channel Partners
Many channel professionals are recognizing a significant shift in how partners interact with their vendors. A recent industry study by CompT
HEROware™ Backup & Disaster Recovery Solutions
HEROware offers backup & disaster recovery appliances based on Double-Take software server replication engine. We also offer backup sol
Guest Blog: The Winner in Business Social Media Will Not Be Who You Think!
By Jay McBain, Co-Founder, ChannelEyes The market for business social media platforms continues to become even more crowded especially with
Guest Blog: How BYOD and BYOA are Furthering the Consumerization of IT
By Jay McBain, Co-Founder, ChannelEyes If you haven’t been following the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) trend, you likely will soon. The tre