Hmm, we seem to have people making WAY over $15 an hour and they don’t seem to be shiftless, lazy, and unmotivated. Ellen and Oprah make way more than that and they don’t seem to be unmotivated.
I can think of a few things that would motivate people:
1. Raises. People always want raises. Unless they want….
2. (More, Paid) Vacation Days
3. Moving up in the company
4. Paying for school (for themselves or someone else)
5. Better housing
6. A Car, or a better one
8. Impressing friends and or potential dates
9. Making parents proud
11. Starting a family(or adding more to it)
12. Saving for retirement
13. Paying off debt
15. Wedding and or Honeymoon
16. Moving out of parents house/getting a place without roommates
Can you think of other things that motivate people at work?
Which is the same story when we talk about raising minimum wage. People making more than minimum wage, but less(or slightly more) than 15 say things like "what about me?" Or "I deserve to make more than those people" not realizing, as you said, a rising tide lifts all ships.