Asian Black Pepper Beef with Curry Leaves
Stir fried, tender- juicy marinated beef strips in a lovely aromatic sauce that can be poured over rice or noodles. The combination of butter, curry leaves, onion and bell peppers flavors the tender beef in such subtle but effective tones. At our place we love this over rice or crispy noodles with a fried and oozy egg on top!
￼Prep time: 15 minCook time: 15 minMarination: 30 minutesTotal time: 1 hour (includes Marination time)Yield: (5-6 servings) Ingredients
• 500 gms thin beef strips suitable for stir frying
• 1 knob of ginger, sliced diagonally with the skin
• ¼ cup fresh curry leaves (tightly packed)
• 1 Tbsp butter
• ¹/8 cup vegetable / sunflower / bran oil
• 1 Tbsp coconut oil plus extra curry leaves (optional) Marinade
• 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
• 1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
• 1 Tbsp Chinese Rice Wine (Shaoxing) - use worcester sauce if unavailable
• 1 Tbsp oyster sauce (I like Tiger Brand)
• 2 tsp corn flour / corn starch
• 2 tsp coarsely cracked black pepper
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• 1 tsp asian sesame oilSauce
• 1 large onion, sliced thinly (Vidalia Onions are great for this sauce)
• 3 tsp garlic, finely minced
• 1 green bell pepper / capsicum , cut into squares
• 1 red chilli chopped
• 2 tsp whole black pepper corns
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• 2 Tbsp Light soy sauce
• 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 1 Tbsp Cornflour + 1 ½ cup Water (mixed together)
• 1 tsp asian sesame oil
• Cut the beef against the grain into thin strips or buy prepackaged beef strips suitable for stir frying.
• Marinate the Beef : Add all ingredients under 'Marinade' to the beef strips. Rub well and leave for 30 minutes.
• Heat oil in a wok till smoking. Add the curry leaves and ginger slices.
• As soon as the curry leaves are fried and bright green, add the butter and allow to melt. Do not allow any browning of the butter.
• Next, add the marinated beef. Stir fry till tender. Upto 5 minutes on high heat. (Thinly sliced beef that has been marinated cooks quite quickly on high heat)
• Remove and set aside.
• Prepare the Sauce: Crush the black pepper to a grainy texture. Do not use pepper powder. Set aside.
• In another non stick pan or wok, heat the sesame oil.
• Add the onion and garlic and sauté well till softened and light golden. (Not Brown)
• Now, mix in the sauces and sugar and crushed black pepper. Cook Black Pepper on med low heat to avoid the sauce from going bitter.
• Cook briefly, stirring and then add the Cornflour + Water Solution. Stir for a while till slightly thickened.(Do a taste test and adjust seasoning, if you like).
• Add the fried beef into the simmering, thickening sauce.
• Remove when the beef is nicely coated with the 'glossy' sauce.
• Optional: Heat the coconut oil in a small pan. Add the extra curry leaves ( about 2 Tbsp)
and fry. Pour this over the cooked beef in sauce. This provides a unique and delicious flavor.View slideshow here for steps